St. Pierre-Diaz, Condit-MacDonald, Hendricks-Ellenberger Top UFC 158 in Montreal


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Georges St. Pierre and Nick Diaz will headline UFC 158 in a welterweight title headliner on March 16.

The event takes place at Bell Centre in Montreal and will also see top welterweights Carlos Condit and Johny Hendricks take on Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger, respectively. A middleweight rematch between Patrick Cote and Alessio Sakara will also be featured, promotion officials announced Saturday.

“Georges St-Pierre asked to fight Nick Diaz because he knows they have unfinished business, and Nick Diaz agrees,” UFC President Dana White said in the official release.

Widely regarded as one of the sport’s top pound-for-pound talents, St. Pierre recently returned from ACL surgery to outpoint interim champion Condit at UFC 154, taking a unanimous decision from “The Natural Born Killer” in the Nov. 17 headliner. The victory marked St. Pierre’s seventh successful title defense and his 17th overall win inside the Octagon.

“There’s been a lot of talk about who I should fight next, but this was really the only choice for me,” said St-Pierre. “[Diaz has] made it personal, and I personally can’t wait.”

St. Pierre was first scheduled to defend his title against Diaz last year at UFC 137, but that booking was scrapped after Diaz missed consecutive press conferences. The champion was then expected to put his gold on the line against against the Californian this past February at UFC 143, but St. Pierre’s torn ACL again delayed his meeting with Diaz.

Instead, the former Strikeforce champion faced Condit for the interim UFC belt on Feb. 4, dropping a contentious unanimous verdict to the Jackson’s MMA representative before testing positive for marijuana metabolites, a development that resulted in a year-long suspension for Diaz handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Known for his excellent boxing and jiu-jitsu skills, Diaz had won 11 straight fights before dropping that decision to Condit, a verdict so repugnant to the southpaw that he alluded to a forthcoming retirement from MMA in his post-fight interview. Diaz owns over 80 percent of his victories by either knockout or submission and has been stopped just twice in his 11-year pro career.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 38 views

It didn't take long for Legacy FC bantamweight champion Thomas Almeida to get his UFC call-up. Bloody Elbow has profiled Thomas Almeida multiple times just within the past few months, and for good reason. The Chute Boxe talent has an astonishing 100% finish rate and a 17-0 record, with his 17th win coming last Friday at Legacy FC against Caio Machado for the promotion's bantamweight title. Not even a week after the 22-year-old scored his latest knockout win, the UFC came calling. MMA Fighting's more

  • 28 days ago
  • 606 views

Former UFC champion, Georges St. Pierre publicly supports Canadian drug kingpin with letter of support. Georges St. Pierre may be retired, but he's still making the media rounds pretty regularly and in ways that might not always be so positive. In today's GSP news, he is publicly backing "King of Pot" Jimmy Cournoyer, who happens to be awaiting sentencing here in the good ole US of A. Cournoyer pled guilty to trafficking in huge amounts of marijuana. St. Pierre sent a letter of support for the d more

  • 25 days ago
  • 52 views

Sounds like Montreal mixed martial arts fans will have to wait a little longer for the UFC's return to the Bell Centre. Tom Wright, the managing director for UFC operations in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, said at the UFC Fight Night 43 post-fight press conference that the promotion will "most likely" move the scheduled Dec. 6 pay-per-view event in Montreal to March 2015. No specific date was announced and Wright didn't provide a reason for the decision. The UFC hasn't held an event in Mont more

  • 25 days ago
  • 24 views

AUCKLAND, New Zealand – What looked like a well-planned 2014 for the UFC’s Canadian team is now anything but, as a pair of shows intended for the country are no longer sure things.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 25 days ago
  • 45 views

Following the conclusion of the New Zealand Fight Night card, Tom Wright revealed that the promotion was still securing a location for the UFC 178 card in September, and had officially moved the Montreal date from December to March 2015. According to Tom Wright, Toronto is far from a lock for UFC 178. The UFC's Managing Director of Operations in Canada, Australia and New Zealand made it clear that while the promotion was still looking for a location to host UFC 178, they were still considering T more

  • 25 days ago
  • 56 views

Oh, Canada. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is coming back to Montreal ... eventually. The world's largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion today revealed a new date for its return to the Bell Centre in Quebec, Canada. Originally penciled in for Dec. 2014, Managing Director for UFC Operations Tom Wright informed media members at the UFC Fight Night 43 post-fight press conference (watch it) that it was now March of 2015. Sorry 'bout that. It could be that UFC is waiting for a big-money fig more

  • 24 days ago
  • 338 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 137 views

Former UFC champion, Georges St. Pierre publicly supports Canadian drug kingpin Jimmy Cournoyer with letter of support. Georges St. Pierre may be retired, but he's still making the media rounds pretty regularly and in ways that might not always be so positive. In today's GSP news, he is publicly backing "King of Pot" Jimmy Cournoyer, who happens to be awaiting sentencing here in the good ole US of A. Cournoyer pled guilty to trafficking in huge amounts of marijuana. St. Pierre sent a letter of s more

  • 23 days ago
  • 32 views

With UFC 181 likely no longer taking place in Montreal this December as originally planned, the card appears to have a new potential home already lined up.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more