Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

From Around the Web

'Cyborg' to Ronda Rousey: 'You will either retire to movies or run to 125 pounds'

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino is clearly trying to goad UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey into a fight, and she’s pressing any button available.Filed under: News read news >>

VIDEO: Ronda Rousey Makes Jimmy Fallon Scream ‘Rumpelstiltskin!’

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey appeared on Tuesday's edition of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and made him scream "Rumpelstiltskin!" read news >>

Brock Lesnar Makes Correct Choice in Closing Door on UFC Career

He's been out of action since 2011, but Brock Lesnar has consistently remained one of MMA's big stories. But after his Tuesday appearance on SportsCenter, that will no longer be the case. Lesnar, 37, read news >>

Co-main event Roxanne Modafferi vs. Vanessa Porto, two other fights added to Invicta FC 12

Roxanne Modafferi will attempt to continue her career resurgence next month. The women's MMA legend meets Vanessa Porto in the co-main event of Invicta FC 12 on April 24 in Kansas City, the promotion read news >>

Why Rousey vs. Correia is the rare squash match that makes perfect sense

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey opened as a colossal favorite over Bethe Correia, to the surprise of no one. But even if it won’t be terribly competitive, it still somehow manages to be c read news >>

Invicta FC 12 adds three bouts, including Modafferi vs. Porto rematch

The card for Invicta FC 12 is beginning to come together with the announcement of three more fights, including a rematch in the co-main event.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Rio: Ref Eduardo Herdy makes a pair of epic bad calls

Referee Eduardo Herdy has only refereed 6 UFC fights in his career, and at this rate he won't be doing too many more with his mindboggling decisions. There have been two very terrible stoppages on th read news >>

UFC Video: Referee makes epic blunder at Leandro Silva vs Drew Dober bout

Watch the referee pull off (another) epic blunder during the UFC: Maia vs. LaFlare card. During the Leandro Silva vs. Drew Dober bout, the referee made a huge blunder. As Silva was attempting an arm read news >>

UFC Rio: Ref Eduardo Herdy makes a pair of epic bad calls