Splitting Atoms, Naho Sugiyama Comes to America Ready to Lay Claim to Invicta FC Title

Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

From Around the Web

• a day ago

Read on for Invicta FC 11 results... read news >>

Cris Cyborg must pass a random drug test before being allowed to compete at Invicta FC 11. California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster told MMAFighting.com that Cris "Cyborg" read news >>

Before Cris "Cyborg" Justino can step into the cage to fight Charmaine Tweet on Feb. 27, 2015, in Los Angeles, Calif., she must first prove to California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) that she is read news >>

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino must pass the random drug test before she can get a license to compete at Invicta FC 11 Cris Cyborg failed a 2011 drug test in California, and as part of the conditions for gett read news >>

Colleen Schneider will face Irena Aldana at invicta FC 11 on Feb. 27 in Los Angeles, according to Invicta officials on Friday.Schneider replaces Melanie LaCroix, who was forced out of the fight for u read news >>

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino is scheduled to be drug tested on Tuesday, which would be her second random drug test in less than a week, according to California State Athletic Commission executive direc read news >>

Arguably the biggest event in Invicta FC history takes place Friday night in Los Angeles. The card will air live on Fight Pass and is taking place nearly in conjunction with UFC 184, which is one day read news >>

Invicta FC president Shannon Knapp says that she has no reason to believe that Cris Cyborg is not drug-free. Cristiane Justino, better known as Cris Cyborg, defends her Invicta featherweight title ag read news >>

Cris "Cyborg" Justino has been given the all clear. The Invicta FC women's featherweight champion passed a random, out-of-competition drug test and has been cleared to compete in the main event of In read news >>