Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Angela Hill Thriving as She Heads into Invicta FC Title Fight on Saturday

Angela Hill is on a roll, thriving as she heads into Saturday's Invicta FC title fight with strawweight champ Livia Renata Souza. read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 87: Overeem vs. Arlovski

The UFC makes its first trip to the Netherlands this Sunday with a solid offering on Fox Sports 1. In the main event, Dutchman Alistair Overeem takes on former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovsk read news >>

Tonya Evinger Plans to Punish Colleen Schneider in Invicta FC 17 Title Defense

Tonya Evinger has plans to put the hurt on Colleen Schneider in her Invicta FC 17 title defense on Saturday night. read news >>

Overeem ready to finally claim his long-awaited title shot

Alistair Overeem’s journey to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division hasn’t gone quite as fast as expected. But on Sunday night, he gets his chance to make good on squandered opportunities by secu read news >>

Latoya Walker Heads into Invicta FC 17 Aiming to Prove She’s Earned a Title Shot

Undefeated featherweight Latoya Walker believes she's already earned a title shot, but she aims to prove it at Invicta FC 17 on Saturday night. read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Preview

On May 7 at The Hangar at the OC Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa, California, gold belts will be on the line in the main event and co-main event at Invicta FC 17, which airs live on UFC FIGHT PASS. read news >>

Having Retooled Her Camp, Megan Anderson Knows She’ll Eventually Be Invicta FC Champ

Having retooled her training camp, Aussie Megan Anderson is more confident than ever that she will eventually become an Invicta FC champion. read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Weigh-in Results and Video: Dual Title Fights Set

Check out the Invicta FC 17: Evinger vs. Schneider weigh-in results and video replay ahead of Saturday night's event in California. read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Evinger vs. Schneider: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Highlights

Invicta FC is in Southern California for two title tilts in its 17th outing. Headlining the event will be Bleacher Report's No. 7-ranked women's bantamweight Tonya Evinger, who defends her title agai read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Video: Kyoji Horiguchi – Training in Tokyo

Kyoji Horiguchi is trains in Tokyo, and wants to be the fighter that makes the UFC big in Japan. Horiguchi faces Neil Seery on Sunday at UFC Rotterdam. read news >>