Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

The Karate Hottie Makes Her Way to the UFC

One of Invicta FC's top stars, former atomweight champion Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson, will soon be gracing the Octagon, as it was announced Tuesday that the Albuquerque standout has signed read news >>

Johnson vs. Cormier Results: Winner and Storylines to Watch After UFC 187

For now, Daniel Cormier can lay claim to being the baddest 205-pound man on the planet. The 36-year-old put the light heavyweight championship belt around his waist in the main event at UFC 187 on Sa read news >>

Women’s MMA Report: Davis armbars Kaufman at UFC 186, Souza wins Invicta FC title

Get caught up to date on the latest news in women’s MMA, from Alexis Davis finally beating Sarah Kaufman to a new champ in Invicta FC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: FOX Sports Live invites Paige VanZant to join the show, then makes her dance the 'Cabbage Patch'

Paige VanZant used to be a dancer. Then again, Tommy DeVito used to shine shoes. Despite the fact that VanZant (5-1) is enjoying a successful mixed martial arts (MMA) career, and is now 2-0 under the read news >>

Michelle Waterson makes UFC debut against Angela Magana in July

"The Karate Hottie" is booked for her first UFC fight. Michelle Waterson will debut against Angela Magana at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale on July 12 in a Florida city yet to be named, the UFC annou read news >>

Michelle Waterson's UFC debut set vs. Angela Magana at July's TUF 21 Finale

Former Invicta FC atomweight titleholder Michelle Waterson will move up in weight to the UFC women’s strawweight division and make her octagon debut against Angela Magana at the TUF 21 Finale on July read news >>

Makdessi on lawsuit, Mousasi: 'I never benefitted from Fear the Fighter'

Lawyers representing UFC middleweight Gegard Mousasi claim UFC lightweight John Makdessi and the apparel company Fear the Fighter owe him $25,800, according to a copy of the lawsuit obtained by MMAju read news >>

Former UFC champ Jon Jones makes first comment since arrest on felony charges

Jon Jones has broken his silence. On Tuesday night, the former UFC light heavyweight champion made his first public comments since allegedly being involved in a hit-and-run car accident Sunday mornin read news >>

Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson Signs with the UFC

Former Invicta FC atomweight champion Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson (12-4) has signed with the UFC to compete as a strawweight. read news >>