Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

UFC Fight Night 88 Video: Weigh-In Altercation Between Renan Barao and Jeremy Stephens

Former bantamweight champion Renan Barao makes his UFC featherweight debut against Jeremy Stephens on Sunday, and the two got into a shoving match during the official weigh-in. read news >>

UFC 199 Countdown Video: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2

Luke Rockhold makes his first title defense, as Michael Bisping gets his long-awaited shot at the belt. UFC 199 Countdown takes you inside the lives and training camps. read news >>

Bisping makes big gains in new rankings

Considering the road he’s been on to the top, it’s hard to think that anybody could have envisioned Michael Bisping cracking the Top 15 of the pound-for-pound rankings. But as Bisping proved at UFC 1 read news >>

Muhammad Makes Debut against Jouban in July

Unbeaten as a pro, Chicago's Belal Muhammad will make his Octagon debut on July 7 in Las Vegas when he faces Alan Jouban in a welterweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. read news >>

Conor McGregor Makes Forbes Top 100 Highest-Paid Athletes List

Forbes published their top 100 hihest-paid athletes in the world list this week and it included one mixed martial artist, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor. read news >>

Undefeated Jonathan Meunier Replaces Teammate, Makes Debut at UFC Ottawa

Unbeaten Canadian prospect Jonathan Meunier will replace his injured Tristar teammate Alex Garcia at UFC Fight Night 89 against Colby Covington. It will be Meunier's promotional debut. UFC officials read news >>

The Beaten Path: Middleweight Prospect Phil Hawes Makes a Powerful Sales Pitch

Aluminum siding salesmen, take note. This is how you close a deal. It takes guts to be an MMA fighter. Knocking on the door of the sport’s most high-profile gym, essentially as a stranger, with nothi read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC Fight Night 89: MacDonald vs. Thompson

The UFC makes its first trip to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, this Saturday with an excellent Fight Night offering on Fox Sports 1. In the main event, former title contender Rory MacDonald makes his retur read news >>

Anthony Pettis Makes Featherweight Debut Versus Charles Oliveira at UFC Vancouver

Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis will make his featherweight debut opposite Charles Oliveira when the UFC returns to Vancouver. read news >>

Will Brooks makes UFC debut on July 8

Highly-regarded lightweight Will Brooks will make his Octagon debut on Friday, July 8, as he faces Ross Pearson on the TUF 23 Finale card at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>