Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Champ 'Cyborg' Justino: 5 Invicta fights left, still hope of facing Ronda Rousey

For Invicta FC featherweight champ Cristiane Justino, the prospect of a fight with ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey still looms, though not as strongly as before. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 15's Ediane Gomes opens GoFundMe account to help cover pre-fight medicals

Invicta FC featherweight Ediane Gomes said she’s no stranger to struggles, but the latest turns of her career have forced her to go hat in hand.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Livia Renata Souza hopes Invicta FC 15 title defense could lead to UFC chance

If Livia Renata Souza had it her way, she’d be fighting a little more often than she has been. But she’s back in action this week – with big ambitions. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Teaming with Conor McGregor Makes Miesha Tate the Smart Choice for Holly Holm

Since capturing the women’s bantamweight championship from Ronda Rousey at UFC 193, much of the discussion about Holly Holm has focused on how much she now has to lose. Conventional wisdom dictated t read news >>

Nevada commission makes right move in reducing Nick Diaz%26#x2019;s punishment, but logic still fuzzy (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Diaz’s reduced punishment is still stunningly harsh in light of how the same commission punished Anderson Silva after the Diaz fight. read news >>

Nevada commission makes right move in reducing Nick Diaz%26#x2019;s punishment (Yahoo Sports)

DeAnn Bennett Wants Invicta Championship More Than Anything, Ever

Winning the Invicta FC 115-pound title would certainly open doors, but DeAnn Bennett is focused solely on winning that belt. read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Invicta FC 15 Live Stream, Card and Prediction

A huge year in mixed martial arts is off to a fantastic start that promises to continue on Saturday night with Invicta FC 15 featuring Cris Cyborg seeking her fifth straight win as she takes on Daria read news >>

Watch the Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova Weigh-in Streaming Live at 7 PM ET

Watch the Invicta FC 15: Cyborg vs. Ibragimova Official Weigh-in streaming live from the Punishment Training Center in Huntington Beach, Calif. on Friday at 7 p.m. ET. read news >>

Invicta FC 15 odds: $100 bet on champ 'Cyborg' nets a whopping $4.49

Featherweight champion Cristiane Justino is a pretty massive favorite in Saturday’s Invicta FC 15 headliner – according to the oddsmakers, anyway.Filed under: News read news >>