Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Women’s MMA Report: 'Cyborg’s' UFC debut set, Bellator books featherweight title fight

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino makes her long-awaited octagon debut on May 14 at UFC 198. Read more about that fight and other happenings in our latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed u read news >>

Livia Renata Souza vs. Angela Hill title fight among Invicta FC 17 additions

A second title fight has been added to the card for next month’s Invicta FC 17 event.Filed under: News read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Gets Second Title Fight, Champion Livia Renta Souza Faces Angela Hill

A second championship match-up has been added to the card for Invicta FC's return to Orange County on Saturday, May 7, as Costa Mesa, Calif., hosts Invicta FC 17. read news >>

Tiffany Van Soest signs with Invicta FC for MMA and GLORY for kickboxing

After long putting the brakes on talk of a potential permanent move to MMA, muay Thai vet and kickboxer Tiffany Van Soest seems to have found a solid alternative.Filed under: News read news >>

Invicta FC and GLORY Kickboxing Ink Deals with Striking Standout Tiffany Van Soest

In a joint announcement, Invicta FC and GLORY kickboxing reported independent agreements with striking sensation Tiffany "Time Bomb" Van Soest. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: What Makes a 10-8 Round?

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen discusses just what makes a 10-8 round in mixed martial arts. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 Highlights: Derrick Lewis Power Bombs Gabriel Gonzaga

Watch Derrick Lewis, as he overcomes Gabriel Gonzaga's takedowns to lay him out at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia. read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC on Fox 19: Evans vs. Teixeira

The UFC makes its way to Tampa on Saturday night with a strong offering on Fox. Khabib Nurmagomedov was originally scheduled to headline the event against Tony Ferguson, but a serious injury to Fergu read news >>

UFC makes history with announcement of event at Madison Square Garden in New York on Nov. 12

Following today’s landmark bill signing by Governor Andrew Cuomo to legalize and regulate professional mixed martial arts in New York, UFC announced that it will host a major event at Madison Square read news >>

ONE's Lowen Tynanes boasts UFC dreams but wants statement to resonate everywhere

Undefeated Hawaiian prospect Lowen Tynanes makes no attempt to hide his original UFC dream, but that doesn’t mean he’s not looking to down lightweights under any banner.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, read news >>