Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

On Short Notice, Joe Soto Makes Short Work of Marco Beltrán (UFC Mexico City Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Soto may have take the fight on a week's notice, but he made quick work of Marco Beltrán at UFC Fight Night 98 on Saturday in Mexico City. read news >>

Get connected! We're taking you behind the scenes of UFC 205 in New York

The UFC makes its New York City debut this week with UFC 205. Here’s how to stay up to date and go behind the scenes with all of our social-media accounts this week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Leslie Smith vs. Irene Aldana targeted for UFC on FOX 22

Invicta FC women’s bantamweight Irene Aldana is octagon bound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Manny Pacquiao Makes Triumphant Return to the Ring | FIGHTLAND

Filipino spectators watch a live broadcast of Filipino Senator and boxer Manny Pacquiao versus US boxer Jessie Vargas (Photo by Mark R. Cristino/EPA) There weren’t many people out there who believed read news >>

After scrapped UFC 205 bout, Donald Cerrone says Demian Maia 'only fight that makes sense'

NEW YORK – Donald Cerrone is upset, not surprisingly, after his UFC 205 bout with Kelvin Gastelum was scrapped just one day prior to the eventFiled under: News, UFC read news >>

Eduard Folayang Stuns Shinya Aoki to Claim ONE Lightweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

Eduard Folayang pulled off possibly the greatest upset in the history of Asian MMA, defeating Shinya Aoki and winning the ONE Championship lightweight title. read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping shuts down Chris Weidman's title-shot claim: 'I make the (expletive) decisions'

NEW YORK – Champion Michael Bisping isn’t buying Chris Weidman’s recent claims that he’s been guaranteed the next UFC middleweight title shot with a victory over Yoel Romero tonight at UFC 205.Filed read news >>

Yoel Romero Destroys Chris Weidman with Flying Knee, Stakes Claim for Title Shot

Yoel Romero is a terrifying human being, and that was on full display at UFC 205 Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York. Facing former middleweight champ Chris Weidman, Romero countered read news >>

Conor McGregor Makes History, Dominates Eddie Alvarez (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor entered the Octagon inside New York City's Madison Square Garden on Saturday trying to make history at UFC 205. read news >>

Conor McGregor's True Greatness Is Understanding History Even as He Makes It

Conor McGregor ended 2016 the same way he started it—asking someone to bring him his damn belt. McGregor had just dispatched Eddie Alvarez with shocking ease in the main event of Saturday’s UFC 205. read news >>