Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

UFC Fight Night 73 performance bonuses: Four fighters claim 50k

Check out who claimed the performance bonuses at tonight's UFC Fight Night event in Nashville. UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville featured a bunch of fights that were finished before the final horn. Thi read news >>

Andrew Sanchez dominates, devastates John Poppie to claim vacant RFA middleweight belt

Andrew Sanchez thoroughly dominated John Poppie from start to finish, then ended their championship fight in devastating fashion, claiming the vacant RFA middleweight title in the process.Filed under read news >>

Gabriel Varga title defense added to Bellator/Glory Dynamite card

Details on the latest fight added to Dynamite, as Gabriel Varga makes his first defense of the Glory Featherweight title. Glory has added another world title fight to the big Bellator/Glory Dynamite read news >>

Katsunori Kikuno vs. Diego Brandao set for UFC Fight Night 75 in Japan

Japanese fighter Katsunori Kikuno will get another UFC fight on his home turf, when he faces Diego Brandao at UFC Fight Night 75 in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 26, sources close to the situation told MM read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Saint Preux vs. Teixeira staff picks and predictions

The Bloody Elbow staff makes its predictions for tomorrow night's UFC Fight Night: Saint Preux vs. Teixeira event in Nashville, TN. The BE staff has entered its predictions for tomorrow night's UFC F read news >>

GLORY 23 predictions, full fight preview for 'Holzken vs Daniels 2' on Spike TV

GLORY kickboxing makes its return to the United States TONIGHT (Fri., Aug. 7, 2015) with GLORY 23: "Holzken vs. Daniels" inside "The Joint" at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Spike read news >>

Michael Johnson: The Menace Makes His Move

As Michael Johnson made it to the top five of the 155-pound weight class, it looked like he went out of his way to hit every pothole on the way to the big show. read news >>

Cris ‘Cyborg’ Video: Says She’s Ready to Fight Ronda Rousey ‘Tomorrow’

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris 'Cyborg' appeared on ESPN on Wednesday to talk about Ronda Rousey and said she's ready to fight the UFC champion 'tomorrow.' read news >>

'Cyborg's' manager explains threat of lawsuit against UFC champ Ronda Rousey

Cristiane Justino’s attorney and manager said the Invicta FC featherweight champion won’t stand by if UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey continues to accuse her of using steroids. File read news >>

Diego Sanchez Makes Featherweight Debut Against Ricardo Lamas in Mexico

After having debuted in the UFC as a middleweight in 2005 and competing as a welterweight and lightweight, Diego Sanchez will debut as a featherweight on Nov. 21 against Ricardo Lamas. read news >>