Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Invicta FC 14 weigh-in results: Evinger vs. Kianzad now non-title after weight issues

One fighter missing weight for a championship main event is not unheard of, but it’s extremely rare to see both fighters miss the mark on the scales. That’s exactly what happened at Invicta FC 14.Fil read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Results: Evinger vs. Kianzad

MMA Fighting has Invicta FC 14 results for the Evinger vs. Kianzad fight card Saturday night in Kansas City, Mo.Tonya Evinger won't defend her Invicta bantamweight title against Pannie Kianzad in the read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Weigh-in Results: Main Event Now a Non-Title Fight

The 20 women competing on Saturday's Invicta FC 14 fight card officially weighed in on Friday. Four fighters initially missed weight, including the two ladies in the main event. read news >>

Invicta FC 14 weigh-in video

At Invicta FC 14 weigh-ins, all 18 Invicta FC fighters taking part in Saturday's Invicta FC 14 fights will step on the scale Friday evening, and we'll have the live video here at t read news >>

Invicta FC 14: Evinger vs. Kianzad fight card preview

Here's a quick look at all the fights on this weekend's Invicta FC 14 card, including headliners Tonya Evinger and Pannie Kianzad and co-main fighters Katja Kankaanpaa and DeAnna Bennett. Invicta FC read news >>

Invicta FC 14 Weigh-in Video: Live at 6p ET on

Watch the Invicta FC 14 weigh-ins live on at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. read news >>

Invicta FC 14 preview

They’re baaack! Invicta Fighting Championships returns to Kansas City this Saturday for the all-female organization’s 14th event and its seventh live on UFC FIGHT PASS, and Invicta FC: Evinger read news >>

Mayweather vs Berto fight purses revealed: 'Money' guaranteed $32 million, 'The Beast' $4 million

No matter who he fights, "Money" makes some. There are a lot of apt descriptions for Floyd's upcoming fight against Andre Berto (preview), among them "milk run," "turkey shoot," and "callous slap in read news >>

The MMA Vivisection - Invicta FC 14: Evinger vs. Kianzad picks, odds, & analysis

Zane Simon is joined by Victor Rodriguez and D.E.O. to talk about all the fights on September 12th's Invicta FC 14 card including headliners Tonya Evinger vs. Pannie Kianzad and co-main fighters Katj read news >>

Flyweight Prospect Rachael Ostovich Targets Invicta FC 14 Fight of the Night

Flyweight prospect Rachael Ostovich heads into Invicta FC 14 targeting the Fight of the Night honors in her bout with Andrea Lee. read news >>