Splitting Atoms, Naho Sugiyama Comes to America Ready to Lay Claim to Invicta FC Title

• submit to reddit

Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

After nine months off, Invicta Fighting Championships will return in September with its debut on the UFC’s Fight Pass digital network.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

ATLANTIC CITY – Onetime Invicta FC title challenger Leslie Smith picked up her first UFC win by crowding the long and lanky Jessamyn Duke.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

ONE FC will make its first trip to Dubai in August, and the card will feature four championship fights. Lightweight champion Shinya Aoki will put his title on the line against Kamal Shalorus, while welterweight champion Nobutatsu Suzuki takes on former Bellator kingpin Ben Askren in a five-round bout, ONE FC announced Thursday. ONE FC 19 takes place at the Dubai World Trade Centre in Dubai, UAE, on August 29. The promotion has yet to announce the other title fights. Aoki (35-6, 1 no-contest) put read news >>

The UFC has added a female bout to the Fight Night card in Maine. Last seen in the Octagon in a title fight against bantamweight superstar Ronda Rousey in February, Sara McMann returns to action against UFC newcomer Lauren Murphy on Aug. 16, the promotion announced Thursday. McMann (7-1) looks to bounce back in the win column for the first time in her career after suffering a 66-second loss to Rousey at UFC 170. With a 1-1 record under the UFC banner, the Olympic silver medalist in wrestling hol read news >>

Fans can also turn back the clock and check out the first seven Invicta FC events as part of their Fight Pass subscription. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is bringing Invicta Fighting Championship (Invicta FC), the industry's only all-female mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, to the Fight Pass digital network with its first live event on Sept. 6, 2014, inside Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri. The full fight card will include a pair of title fights, but no Cris Cyborg (yet), w read news >>

It was already announced that the UFC had added the all-women’s promotion Invicta FC to its Fight Pass offerings, but the two promotions took it a step further on Thursday, announcing the first Invicta FC live broadcast on the digital network. read news >>

Invicta FC's debut event on UFC Fight Pass, Invicta FC 8, is set to take place on September 6, 2014 in Kansas City, promotion president Shannon Knapp announced on a Thursday conference call. The show will be the all-female organization's first in nine months, and is expected to be headlined by duel title bouts, with Stephanie Eggink (4-1) and Katja Kankaanpaa (9-1-1) vying for the vacant Invicta FC strawweight title in the night's co-main event, and atomweight champion Michelle Waterson (11-3) a read news >>

The working relationship between Ultimate Fighting Championship and Invicta FC continues to blossom with the announcement that the all-women’s mixed martial arts promotion will air exclusively on UFC Fight Pass going forward. read news >>

Women's MMA fans were rightly overjoyed when it was announced that Invicta FC became part of the UFC family with their addition to UFC Fight Pass. Today, a special conference call was held to discuss the next step in that relationship, as well as Invicta's future. Most importantly for MMA fans, Invicta FC 8 was announced. The card will be held September 6, and will air exclusively in the United States on UFC Fight Pass. The event will be headlined by an atomweight title fight between reigning ch read news >>