Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Cris Cyborg Makes Weight at Invicta FC 13, Drop to 135 Remains Possible

Cris “Cyborg” Justino officially made weight on Wednesday evening for her title defense against Faith van Duin. Cyborg is the Invicta FC featherweight champion, but that is not what people are intere read news >>

Roger Gracie vs. Rodrigo Comprido set for July 10

Roger Gracie makes his return to grappling on July 10 against a Rodrigo Comprido, a familiar foe. The biggest name in submission grappling has finally brought an end to his extended hiatus from the s read news >>

Invicta FC 13: Cris Cyborg Gets Another Tuneup Fight Before Attempting 135 Lbs

Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino returns to action this week, and it will be just another fight of total destruction to add to her resume. Justino, the Invicta FC featherweight champion, defends her title read news >>

Countdown to UFC 189: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald

UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler, fresh off his win against Johny Hendricks to claim the strap, is set for his first title defense against Canadian Rory MacDonald. read news >>

Women’s MMA Stalwart Tonya Evinger on Brink of Invicta FC Championship

Tonya Evinger believes that she has finally made all the right moves to win her first major championship at Invicta FC 13 on Thursday. read news >>

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather makes bank from Pacquiao fight with $230 million purse

The payout would exceed the lifetime earnings NBA superstar Tim Duncan made in his 18-year career with the San Antonio Spurs Whether or not the "Fight of the Century" lived up to the hype, 36 minutes read news >>

Fans invited to this week's TUF 21 Finale, Invicta FC 13 media events

In addition to a slate of UFC 189 fight-week activities, fans are invited to some pre-fight events for Invicta FC 13 and The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale this week.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 189 co-headliner Robbie Lawler claim his UFC belt

Next weekend, Robbie Lawler looks for his title defense. Watch the fight that first earned him the UFC welterweight title. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Four bouts added to UFC Fight Night 76 lineup, including some top Japanese fighters

UFC Fight Night 76 is starting to take shape with the UFC's announcement of four bouts for the event. UFC Fight Night 76 takes place Sept. 27 at Saitama Super Arena in Japan, just north of Tokyo. Due read news >>

Conor McGregor Spits Fire on UFC 189 Call, Says Win Makes Him Rightful Champ

The UFC 189 media conference call had one star. It's Conor McGregor's world, Conor McGregor says. And July 11 is a mere formality. The oddsmakers and, you know, real life will have their say on that, read news >>