Splitting Atoms, Naho Sugiyama Comes to America Ready to Lay Claim to Invicta FC Title

Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

In getting an opportunity to step up into Invicta FC this year, flyweight prospect DeAnna Bennett worked as hard as she could to ensure her success. read news >>

Headlining Invicta FC 8, atomweight Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson took on challenger Yasuko Tamada. Waterson looks to defend her title against Hercia Tiburcio at Invicta FC 10. read news >>

Tony Evinger believes she's already taken out Invicta FC's top bantamweights, and sees her fight with Cindy Dandois on Saturday as something to keep her busy. read news >>

Cris Cyborg would have been making her bantamweight debut at Invicta FC 10 on Friday, but an ankle injury forced her off the Dec. 5 card. For her next bout, she will be competing at 145 pounds. Cybor read news >>

Michelle Waterson has been cleared to make her second strawweight title defense in three months at Invicta Fighting Championships 10. read news >>

Michelle Waterson has been cleared to make her second atomweight title defense in three months at Invicta Fighting Championships 10. read news >>

While most female fighters seem to aspire to join the UFC roster, veteran bantamweight Tonya Evinger insists she just doesn’t care about ever stepping in the octagon. Filed under: News read news >>

Herica Tiburcio has high expectations ahead of tonight’s Invicta FC 10 atomweight title fight against reigning champion Michelle Waterson. Filed under: News read news >>

Invicta FC returns tonight with Invicta FC 10, featuring an atomweight title bout in the main event. Get results inside.Filed under: News read news >>

Jump to: