Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

From Around the Web

GIF: Tyrone Spong makes boxing debut, viciously knocks out Gabor Farkas in first round

Good to see the "King of the Ring" is back. The last time we saw Tyrone Spong inside a ring, the Surinamese-Dutch kickboxer was carried out on a stretcher after breaking his foot against Gokhan Saki read news >>

Invicta FC 11 Fighter Salaries: Cris Cyborg Towers Over Rest of Payroll | MMAWeekly.com

Cris “Cyborg” Justino spent less time in the cage than any other victor on the Invicta FC 11 fight card, but she took home double the rest of fighters' salaries combined. read news >>

Invicta FC 11 payouts and salaries: Cris Cyborg takes home $90k of $134,000 total payroll

Just around double than what the rest of the field combined took home that night. Cristiane Justino may not be plying her trade under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner (yet), but her ba read news >>

Invicta FC 11 salaries: Cris 'Cyborg' pockets $90,000 for 46-second win

When it comes to Invicta FC 11's payroll sheet, there's Cristiane Justino and then there's everybody else. "Cyborg" pocketed a reported $90,000 for her 46-second knockout win over Charmaine Tweet at read news >>

Cris Cyborg responds to Rener Gracie’s comments: ‘I have no grandfather name to live off’

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino responds to Rener Gracie’s public comments that she is given “too much credit.” Monday's edition of The MMA Hour saw Rener Gracie make an appea read news >>

Duke Roufus Offers 1st Glimpse into CM Punk's MMA Training

CM Punk has his work cut out for him as he makes his move from professional wrestler to pro MMA fighter. It could be many months of toil before he emerges feeling prepared to meet his goal. And if he read news >>

The MMA Hour - 271 - Robert Sargent

MMA Rising's Robert Sargent discusses UFC 184 and Invicta FC 11. read news >>

Invicta FC 11 medical suspensions: Charmaine Tweet potentially out six months after brutal 'Cyborg' loss

Just how much damage can Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino inflict in 46 seconds? Apparently enough to set an opponent back six months, as Charmaine Tweet learned on Friday night at Invicta FC 11. Tweet suf read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano: Why a Rematch Makes Sense and Is Warranted

Raise your hand if you want to see Ronda Rousey defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title against Bethe Correia. What about Jessica Eye? The multitude of crickets chirping in the background can be he read news >>