Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Jorina Baars Looks to Remain Dominant Fighting Angela Whitley at Lion Fight 31

Not many women can lay claim to having a win over current UFC fighter Cris Cyborg, but reigning Lion Fight welterweight champion Jorina “JoJo” Baars can. read news >>

Amy Coleman, in Her Invicta FC Debut, Looking to Prove She Belongs | MMAWeekly.com

Amy Coleman makes her Invicta FC debut on Friday in Kansas City, taking on promotional veteran Amber Leibrock in a main card 145-pound fight. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Makes Weight for First UFC Headlining Bout | MMAWeekly.com

After days of worrying, Cris "Cyborg" Justino stepped on the scale Friday morning to make her UFC Fight Night 95 headlining bout official. read news >>

Invicta FC 19 Maia vs. Modafferi: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Highlights

Invicta FC is set for two title tilts Friday evening. Invicta FC interim flyweight champion Jennifer Maia will take on Roxanne Modafferi in the main event. The bout will determine a new undisputed ch read news >>

For Invicta FC 19's Kaline Medeiros, age is just a number – and a number she belies

Kaline Medeiros didn’t exactly have a killer start to her career, opening 1-3 and 3-4. Filed under: News read news >>

Jennifer Maia Fends Off Roxanne Modafferi's Attacks at Invicta FC 19 | MMAWeekly.com

Jennifer Maia fended off Roxanne Modafferi's attacks at Invicta FC 19 to become the undisputed flyweight champion. read news >>

Invicta FC 19 results: Maia edges Modefferi for vacant belt, Hamasaki gets controversial win vs. Frey

Roxanne Modafferi fell just short in her opportunity to capture a world championship on her 34th birthday when she lost a split decision to Jennifer Maia.Filed under: News read news >>

Invicta FC 19 video highlights: Holliday taps Van Soest while Maia, Hamasaki win title fights

Check out the video highlights from Friday’s Invicta FC 19 event, which included a pair of title fights.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 results: Cristiane 'Cyborg' makes easy work of Lina Lansberg for TKO

BRASILIA, Brazil – Lina Lansberg survived longer than Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino’s previous four opponents, but just barely. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Brutal Battles and Championship Performances Highlight Invicta FC 19 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta FC 19: Maia vs. Modafferi delivered a bunch of brutal battles and two championship performances on Friday night in Kansas City. read news >>