Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Unbeaten Prospect Phil Hawes Makes Quick Turnaround, Faces Louis Taylor at WSOF 32

World Series of Fighting announced today that undefeated prospect Phil Hawes will make a quick turnaround and step back in the decagon cage just six weeks after his promotional debut. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Video: Rafael Dos Anjos – Warrior Code

UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos discusses what makes him the ultimate warrior in the Octagon. read news >>

UFC 200 Free Fight: Jon Jones Makes Quick Work of Chael Sonnen

Jon Jones defended his light heavyweight belt for the fifth time when he defeated Chael Sonnen at UFC 159. Check out that fight. read news >>

Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel Full Fight Card and Preview Podcast

Check out the latest edition of Invicta FC radio with the full fight card and preview for Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel. read news >>

Brooks enjoying time before his UFC debut Friday

Will Brooks makes his much-anticipated UFC debut on Friday against Ross Pearson at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale on FS1. read news >>

Aldo tops Edgar to claim interim title

Jose Aldo reclaimed a title for Brazil as he won the interim featherweight title after a strong victory against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200. read news >>

Ross Pearson Makes Quick Return, Jumps Up to Welterweight at UFC 201

Ross Pearson has agreed to take a short-notice fight and move up to welterweight to fight Jorge Masvidal at UFC 201. read news >>

Mizuki Inoue Steps in as Late Replacement at Invicta FC 18

Invicta Fighting Championships has announced that Mizuki Inoue as the replacement for undefeated Indian fighter Manjit Kolekar at Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel. read news >>

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino Says She Wants to Fight Ronda Rousey at UFC 205

If Ronda Rousey makes her return at UFC 205 on Nov. 12, Cris "Cyborg" Justino looms as a formidable and willing opponent. ESPN.com's Brett Okamoto reported what Justino had to say regarding a prospec read news >>

UFC Fight Night Chicago Video: Holly Holm – Warrior Code

Go one-on-one with Holly Holm and find out what makes the former champ a UFC warrior. Holm faces Valentina Shevchenko on Saturday. read news >>