Splitting Atoms, Naho Sugiyama Comes to America Ready to Lay Claim to Invicta FC Title

Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Invicta FC atomweight champion Michelle Waterson previews her Sept. 6 title defense against Yasuko Tamada. read news >>

The date was September 28, 2012. The opponent was Munah Holland. The result, a unanimous-decision victory for Michelle Ould, a top flyweight in the world. That was the last time Ould stepped in the c read news >>

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

Not looking beyond the opportunity in front of her, Stephanie Eggink looks to add Invicta FC belt to a collection that already includes XFC championship. read news >>

The Invicta FC 8 main event will go forward as planned, as both Michelle Waterson and Yasuko Tamada made weight on Friday. read news >>

Michelle Waterson retained her atomweight title with a victory over Yasuko Tamada, while Katja Kankaanpaa won the vacant strawweight strap with a submission victory over Stephanie Eggink. Invicta FC read news >>

Michelle Waterson’s grip on the Invicta Fighting Championship atomweight throne grew stronger at the expense of Yasuko Tamada. read news >>

Read on for the results from Invicta Fighting Championships 8... read news >>

Michelle Waterson vowed to become the first to stop Yasuko Tamada, and in her first Invicta FC atomweight title defense, she lived up to the promise with a third-round TKO win.Filed under: News read news >>