Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Justino notified of potential anti-doping violation

Invicta FC featherweight champion and top pound-for-pound women’s fighter Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino has been notified of a potential anti-doping violation. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207 Betting Preview: Rousey Makes Return as Small Favorite vs. Nunes

Former women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was used to being a heavy betting favorite for most of her fights on the way to a perfect 12-0 mark. But after more than a year off after the first l read news >>

Ronda Rousey Finally Makes Fight Week Appearance (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Though she has been in the midst of a media blackout, Ronda Rousey finally appears in UFC 207 Embedded. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Makes Quick Work of Early Weigh-in (UFC 207 Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey blew in like storm and left the same way following a brief appearance at Thursday's UFC 207 early morning weigh-in. read news >>

Amanda Nunes Makes Easy Work of Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

How did Amanda Nunes so easily defeat Ronda Rousey? Miesha Tate, Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian break down the big fight. read news >>

TJ Dillashaw Makes His Case for Next Title Shot (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw talks about his one-sided UFC 207 win over John Lineker and thinks that he deserves to fight for the title next. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Wears Hijab in Effort to Unite Women (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Invicta FC 145-pound champion Cris Cyborg posted a video on Monday of herself training in a hijab in a show of support for "all women around the world." read news >>

UFC Makes New Broadcasting Hire, as Mike Goldberg Exits After 20 Years | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has made a new broadcasting hire in the wake of Mike Goldberg exiting the promotion that he called home for the past 20 years. read news >>

Video: Forrest Griffin makes good on bet with UFC champ Cody Garbrandt, shaves head

Newly crownedUFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt agreed to give Forrest Griffin a pass after the latter lost a bet surrounding Garbrandt’s UFC 207 co-main-event win over Dominick Cruz. Griffin p read news >>

WBC Boxing Champ Heather Hardy Ready for MMA Debut at Invicta FC 21 | MMAWeekly.com

On January 14 in Kansas City, Missouri, Heather Hardy makes her MMA debut against fellow newcomer Brieta Carpenter in a 125-pound bout at Invicta FC 21. read news >>