Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Invicta FC 13 Features Three Title Fights on July 9 in Las Vegas

Three division titles are on the line when Invicta Fighting Championships make its first trip to Las Vegas on Thursday, July 9 as part of International Fight Week. read news >>

Urijah Faber: When push comes to shove, Conor McGregor will 'give up' against Jose Aldo at UFC 189

Bold claim by "The California Kid." Both of Conor McGregor's early mixed martial arts (MMA) losses came by way of submission. But according to Urijah Faber, we could very well see a third surrender w read news >>

Javier Mendez: ‘If [Werdum] makes it five rounds, he’s going to get beat up worse than JDS’

Cain Velasquez will return to action after 20 months off to face Fabricio Werdum at UFC 188 on Saturday, at an altitude of over 7,000 feet. Is that enough to worry his coach Javier Mendez? Not really read news >>

UFC 188 Preliminary Card Predictions

The UFC makes its return to pay-per-view and the country of Mexico, as UFC 188 comes to you live this Saturday. Headlined by a heavyweight title unification, the bout is deep with talent, especially read news >>

Brendan Schaub: Fighting no longer makes sense with Reebok deal in place

In a recent epissode of his Fighter & the Kid show, UFC heavyweight, Brendan Schaub talked about how it no longer makes sense for him to fight. The issues fighters face from the controversial UFC/Ree read news >>

Welcome to the UFC, Steve Kennedy

A new welterweight makes his way to the UFC for their Berlin offering after a late injury caused the UFC to need a replacement fighter in a hurry. It's rough being a Sergio Moraes fan. There's someth read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum: A Full Head-to-Toe Breakdown

After a 600-plus-day absence, Cain Velasquez makes his return to the Octagon. And what a time to head back, now that there's a true challenger to his crown (a challenger not named Junior dos Santos, read news >>

Ronda Rousey book 'My Fight-Your Fight' (finally) makes New York Times Best Sellers List

Despite selling over 10,000 copies in the first week of its release, Ronda Rousey's new book titled "My Fight/Your Fight" didn't initially make the New York Times "Best Sellers" list in the non-ficti read news >>

GLORY 22 preview and predictions for 'Verhoeven vs. Adegbuyi' on Spike TV

GLORY kickboxing makes its return to Europe on Friday (June 5, 2015) with GLORY 22: "Verhoeven vs. Adegbuyi" inside Stade Pierre Mauroy in Lille, France. The Spike TV main event will be a heavyweight read news >>

What’s next for 'Jacare' after being passed over for title shot? ‘Nobody else makes sense’

Luke Rockhold is the next in line for a shot at UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza is now left without an opponent. "Jacare" was considered to be the next in line after winnin read news >>