Naho Sugiyama Invicta FCInvicta FC will crown its first champion on Saturday night in Kansas City, Kan., when Jessica Penne and Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama clash for the promotion’s atomweight title.

For Sugiyama, coming to America after a highly successful career in Japan – capturing a title in Jewels – is an unexpected opportunity that was too good to pass up.

“I’ve never even thought of fighting in America before, so I feel very honored,” said Sugiyama. “And this is my first visit to America too, so I am really looking forward to this.”

Excitement seems to be more the theme for Sugiyama’s Invicta debut, because, as she told MMAWeekly.com, the fact that her bout is a title fight isn’t adding any additional weight to her shoulders.

“I am not too conscious about this title fight thing, so (I’m) not feeling too much pressure,” she said.

When Sugiyama was asked if she had altered her training to prepare for American MMA rules such as allowing elbow strikes, she said, “A little bit.

“I was conscious about those differences in rules, but basically I’ve been doing the same training as usual.”

Sugiyama knows that if she’s going to take the title, doing so against Penne is not going to be an easy task.

“I think she is stronger than anyone I ever faced in the past,” said Sugiyama of Penne. “In terms of which part of my game is better than hers… well, I will not know that till I fight her.”

Regardless of whether or not she wins or loses, Sugiyama hopes to continue to fight for Invicta, as well as continue to expand her career.

“I am still in search of ‘my ultimate goal’ as a pro MMA fighter,” said Sugiyama. “And of course, I want to continue fighting for Invicta FC, and I also would like to fight in the other countries as well.

“I wanna leave a mark. I am going to fight hard so the fans would remember my name.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC news and updates.

Jodie Esquibel ‘Feels Good’ About Invicta FC 18 Match-Up Against Unbeaten Alexa Grasso

Jodie Esquibel will have no easy task in her return to Invicta on Friday, when she faces undefeated prospect Alexa Grasso in the evening’s 115-pound main event. read news >>

Amberlynn Orr Heads into Invicta FC 18 Looking to Turn Her World Right-Side Up

Bantamweight prospect Amberlynn Orr is looking to turn her world right-side up following a tumultuous start to her year in 2016. read news >>

Invicta FC 18 preview

Friday night at the Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, Kanvas, Invicta FC is set to deliver its 18th action-packed night of fights, including a main event that will decide the No. 1 contender for t read news >>

Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel Weigh-in Results and Video

Check out the Invicta FC 18 weigh-in results and video. Invicta FC 18 is headlined by a strawweight battle between Alexa Grasso and Jodie Esquibel. read news >>

Tessa Simpson is Punching Her Way to an Invicta FC Title Shot, One Fight at a Time

Tessa Simpson is taking her journey one fight at a time, but her ultimate goal is an Invicta FC title shot. read news >>

Invicta FC 18 Grasso vs. Esquibel: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Highlights

Invicta FC returns to Kansas City with a strawweight showdown leading the charge. Alexa Grasso squares off against Jodie Esquibel in the evening's five-round main event. It will be Grasso's first bou read news >>

Invicta FC 18 Results: Alexa Grasso Dominates Jodie Esquibel, Agnieszka Niedźwiedź Remains Unbeaten

On Friday, July 29, Invicta Fighting Championships hosted Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel from the historic Scottish Rite Temple. read news >>

On FIGHT PASS: Grasso successful in Invicta return

Get a full recap on Invicta FC 18, which included the successful return of strawweight standout Alexa Grasso read news >>

UFC 201 Fight Highlights: Jake Ellenberger Makes Quick Work of Matt Brown

Check out the UFC 201 fight highlights from the bout between Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger. read news >>

Tyron Woodley: Nick Diaz Makes No Sense; Closer to a Fight with Georges St-Pierre

Tyron Woodley doesn't care about the top contender. He wants big money fights, and believes he's close to one with Georges St-Pierre. read news >>