Sources: Zuffa to Compensate Strikeforce Fighters Affected by ‘Melendez vs. Healy’ Cancellation


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Fighters who were scheduled to compete for Strikeforce on Saturday will still be compensated, despite the cancellation of the company’s “Melendez vs. Healy” card.

While exact figures were not revealed, Sherdog.com confirmed Tuesday with sources close to the event that Strikeforce parent company Zuffa, LLC, still plans to provide some form of payment to the fighters on the Sept. 29 bill, which was slated to take place at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento, Calif. MMAJunkie.com first reported the development this afternoon.

One competitor on the bill told Sherdog.com that he was informed he would receive his show money, though the funds had yet to be dispersed. Another fighter declined to comment on specifics, but asserted that Zuffa is “taking care of [the fighters], and I’m very appreciative.”

Jen Wenk, spokesperson for Authentic Management Group, provided a similar take on the situation.

“The financials are private,” Wenk said, “but Zuffa is taking very good care of the two Blackzilians that were on the card, Jorge Santiago and Yuri Villefort, despite the unfortunate cancellation of their fights.”

The show was called off Sunday night after headliner Gilbert Melendez withdrew from his lightweight title defense against Pat Healy due to a shoulder injury. In light of the news, Strikeforce officials stated that Showtime elected not to carry the fight card, resulting in the promotion scrapping the event.

Strikeforce’s next event is scheduled for Nov. 3 at Chesapeake Energy Center in Oklahoma City. That event also saw its initial headliner spoiled due to injury, as Frank Mir was forced to withdraw from his planned heavyweight conflict with Daniel Cormier one week ago. Cormier is still expected to compete on the card.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 46 views

For many MMA fighters, fighting is all they know. There is no life after hanging up the gloves for some guys. The guys on this list don't fall into that group of fighters. That's because whether it's stepping into an announcer's booth, sitting down behind a news desk or running classes in a gym, the fighters on this list will have successful post-fight careers. If anyone has been around enough fighters, you'll know that some are made to be coaches or have the gift of gab and some simply don't. T more

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

There are times when a fighter’s record doesn’t paint a complete picture. Though it lists their recent appearances and the outcome of those bouts, there is context and information that exists beyond... more

  • 26 days ago
  • 56 views

Today's mixed martial arts incorporates a truly defined group of amazing athletes. From powerful strikers to bone-crunching submission specialists, MMA offers a hodgepodge of scintillating talents. That's why the UFC has enjoyed an injection of competitive contenders from flyweight to heavyweight. However, in a demanding era when knockouts and submissions rule the world, some top names have struggled to please the masses. Here are the five best fighters in the UFC right now who need to turn deci more

  • 27 days ago
  • 35 views

The end of the line has come for Eric Prindle and several other fighters, who are no longer on Bellator's roster. Bellator's house cleaning has extended beyond just ousting Bjorn Rebney and Tim Danaher. Earlier this week, the promotion confirmed the release of 19 fighters from its roster, most notably former heavyweight tournament winner Eric Prindle. The 38-year-old went on a run of just 1 win in his last 7 fights, and was stopped by James Thompson earlier this month. Prindle is best known, and more

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

Bellator MMA significantly trimmed its roster recently, releasing 19 fighters from their contracts. more

  • 27 days ago
  • 48 views

But insists the releases were done prior to the hiring of former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. Bellator MMA, which fired Bjorn Rebney just last week, has also said goodbye to 19 fighters under contract for the Viacom-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle (heavyweight) and Anthony Leone (bantamweight). Here is the complete list of releases (via MMA Fighting): Eric PrindleAnthony LeoneRodrigo LimaFrank BacaNick KirkTravis MarxHiroshi NakamuraSerge more

  • 27 days ago
  • 27 views

Several names were removed from Bellator’s roster. Bellator officials confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that 19 fighters were released from the promotion, including former title challengers Eric Prindle and Anthony Leone. The list was initially posted on Sherdog Forum. The list also includes Frank Baca, Nick Kirk, Travis Marx, Hiroshi Nakamura, Rodrigo Lima, Sergej Grecicho, Jared Downing, Jason Fischer, Tim Welch, Nathan Coy, Anthony Lemon, Trey Houston, Vaughn Anderson, Keith Berry, Je more

  • 28 days ago
  • 42 views

Every UFC fighter steps into the Octagon with the hope of elevating themselves to a UFC title shot. But what happens when there's a major roadblock in the way? That's the situation in which guys like Junior dos Santos and Urijah Faber find themselves. The end result of fighting is always to push up the rankings, but for these guys, there's only so far they can go. The fighters on this list find themselves in a bit of limbo in that they can defeat nearly every contender thrown their way, but UFC more

  • 28 days ago
  • 775 views

There are six title fights currently scheduled between now and the end of the year. That's six fighters who have a chance to achieve the ultimate goal of being a UFC champion. Unlucky for them, there are far more than six fighters who have a shot at being champions by the end of the year. There are No. 1 contender matches scheduled, top-level fighters waiting for an opportunity to fight, and others who are waiting on the sidelines for their chance to fight for the title. Everyone in the UFC want more