Karlos Vemola may have to wait a while longer for his sophomore outing at light heavyweight, as the powerful Czech has suffered a mouth infection that may prevent him from competing against Luis Artur Cane Jr. at UFC 128.

Sherdog.com learned from sources close to the fighter on Tuesday afternoon that the 25-year-old prospect has been struck with a mouth infection that stemmed from a training injury. Vemola (Pictured) may have to undergo mouth surgery to combat the infection.

It is unknown at this time if the promotion is searching for a replacement for the London Shootfighters product. Vemola’s bout with Cane was slated to air on Spike TV as part of a “UFC Prelims Live” special, alongside a lightweight scrap between Anthony Njokuani and Edson Barboza.

UFC 128 will go down March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and will be headlined by a light heavyweight title tilt between reigning champion Mauricio 'Shogun" Rua and red-hot prospect Jon Jones. The evening’s main event was initially to feature Rua defending his title against Jones’ teammate, Rashad Evans. However, former champ Evans sustained a knee injury in training, and the 23-year-old “Bones” stepped up on short notice to fill the bill.

Vemola was last seen in his light heavyweight debut UFC 122, dominating Seth Petruzelli en route to a first-round TKO victory. That win followed the first loss of Vemola’s career, a unanimous decision defeat to H.I.T. Squad product Jon Madsen in Vemola’s UFC debut. Before entering the UFC, Vemola had been a monster at heavyweight, racking up seven consecutive first-round stoppage victories. Vemola’s loss to Madsen remains the only time he has ever seen the judges’ scorecards.

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account.
view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

CSAC will no longer recognize wins earned in unsanctioned events

  • a day ago
  • 5 views

LOS ANGELES -- The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) has fired its first salvo against unsanctioned events in its state. CSAC executive officer Andy Foster said Tuesday during the commissio read news >>

Hector Lombard no longer interested in Patrick Cote fight, wants Rory MacDonald instead

  • 6 days ago
  • 9 views

Back at UFC 171, Hector Lombard called out Patrick Cote. Over the weekend, Cote said he'd be willing to return the favor. But Lombard has apparently moved on to other things. Lombard has responded to read news >>

UFC declines to re-sign Josh Thomson, who is expected to sign with Bellator MMA

  • 22 days ago
  • 11 views

Josh Thomson's latest UFC run has come to end. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the UFC declined to offer Thomson a new contract once his most recent one expired following his lo read news >>

Khabib no longer wants to fight Diaz: ‘I have to respect the fans and take hard fights’

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov explains why he is no longer interested in a fight with Nate Diaz. Just days after requesting a fight against Nate Diaz, Khabib Nurmagomedov has decided that the f read news >>

Rousimar Palhares rips ‘greased a--hole’ Jake Shields, denies eye gouging accusations

  • 28 days ago
  • 175 views

Rousimar Palhares is no longer the World Series of Fighting welterweight champion. WSOF president Ray Sefo made the announcement on Tuesday’s The MMA Hour that "Toquinho" was stripped of his title an read news >>