Sources: Strikeforce to Delay GP Fights; Targeting California for April


Sources tell Sherdog.com that Strikeforce will push back its April heavyweight tournament bouts. | Dave Mandel


With the first round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in the books, April 9 had become the focus for the other half of the quarterfinals, but it now appears that fans will have to wait a little longer to see who will be squaring off with Antonio Silva and Sergei Kharitonov.

Sherdog.com learned today via sources close to the promotion that Strikeforce is planning to run its previously scheduled April date in California, and that the two remaining quarterfinal bouts will most likely be pushed off the card.

A fight between Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and Japanese slugger Tatsuya Kawajiri is expected to comprise one of the top two spots on the bill, while welterweight champion Nick Diaz is expected to fill the other slot against a yet-to-be-named opponent.

Speaking with Sherdog.com, Diaz’s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie said he was not sure which way the promotion was leaning, but that at least a couple different fighters were under consideration, including Paul Daley -- who fights Deep veteran Yuya Shirai next weekend in the UK -- and Tyron Woodley.

“I don’t know if (Daley) is willing to take the fight,” said Gracie. “I know Strikeforce is hoping to do the fight but he has to win his fight, come out healthy and then he has to accept the fight.”

Gracie also mentioned the possibility of highly-regarded prospect Tyron Woodley as an alternate opponent, but Woodley’s manager Sam Spira told Sherdog.com that any talk of his client taking such a big fight on less than eight weeks notice “was a bit premature.”

Gracie also raised concerns about Diaz fighting on short notice, but was clear that his charge is not likely to turn down a bout with either Daley or Woodley.

“It is a little bit of a short notice but you know how Nick is,” said Gracie. “I don’t think he will have a problem being ready to go by then.”

Heavyweight Grand Prix participant Josh Barnett was contacted for comment on his fight being pushed back and the former UFC champion said it was the first he had heard of the change in schedule.

“I don’t really have anything to say about it,” said Barnett, “I have not heard anything from the promotion yet.”

Barnett said he has been preparing with an April 9 date in mind, but that he would just have to adjust his training to ensure he was in peak condition whenever he eventually steps in the cage with Brett Rogers.

Strikeforce Matchmaker Rich Chou offered no comment when contacted Monday evening. Promotion CEO Scott Coker has not yet replied to requests for confirmation.

Reader comments are active below. Chime in with an opinion or thought by signing in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Yahoo! account. view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

Get details here on the next Superkombat Grand Prix card, live from Almere in the Netherlands, Saturday, September 27. European kickboxing organization Superkombat returns later this month with a ver read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 0 views

With two consecutive first round knockouts in the books, Matt Mitrione will seek a third straight win in Phoenix, Arizona on Saturday, December 13, as he meets veteran Gabriel Gonzaga read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

The co-main event of tonight's (Sat., Aug. 23, 2014) UFC Fight Night 49: "Henderson vs. Dos Anjos" showcase from the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Fox Sports 1 featured veteran welterweight war mo read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 23 views

Lightweights Benson Henderson and Rafael dos Anjos met in the main event of the UFC Fight Night event in Tulsa. The UFC's first event in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 20 years culminated in a staggering upset i read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

Legacy FC will have its heavyweight and featherweight titles on the line when it heads to New Mexico in October. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 5 views

In several recent interviews, UFC light heavyweight Anthony Johnson expressed no preference for his next opponent. But now he knows who he wants: Alexander Gustafsson.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 6 views

SACRAMENTO – After a tentative first round, Anthony Hamilton picked up the pace and his first UFC win after Ruan Potts was out of steam in the second round.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 80 views

SACRAMENTO – After a mostly successful first round against Carlos Diego Ferreira, Ramsey Nijem took a few in the chin in the second. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 0 views

A light heavyweight match-up between former division champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Jimi Manuwa is being targeted for the Nov. 8 UFC card in Brazil, according to a report on Wednesday. read news >>