Smealinho RamaFive first-round finishes in five fights during his rookie campaign in 2012 has MFC heavyweight prospect Smealinho Rama on the verge of becoming the promotion’s big man.

“I’m pretty happy that they were all first-round finishes, and that’s what I want to continue to do,” said Rama of his fast start. “I don’t want to be a decision fighter. I want to finish every fight and make it exciting and want the fans to love it.”

Still early in his career, Rama realizes that he still has a lot of growth ahead of him.

“I’m pretty happy with what I did, but there’s always room for improvement,” he said. “I’d like to be more the fighter that I am in the gym in the ring and let loose a bit more and have a good time out there.

“I feel I’ve changed quite a bit (since my debut). I’m a better fighter. I’m better with the media. I’m training harder. I’m learned what my body needs and how to train properly and not over-train and how to set myself up to have a positive training camp before a fight.”

For Rama’s first fight of 2013, he’ll be fighting in what is essentially a heavyweight title eliminator against Mike “Honey Badger” Hackert at MFC 36 live on AXS TV on Friday night in Edmonton, Canada.

“We wanted this fight as soon as possible,” said Rama. “I wanted to get this fight in my third or fourth fight, and unfortunately we couldn’t get it, but here we are now. We knew whoever the number one guy was, we were going to get it; it was only a matter of time.

“Now I’ve got the fight that I’ve wanted and I’m just ready to take the number one spot and get my title shot.”

Rama told MMAWeekly.com that he feels he’s well-rounded enough to take the fight wherever he wants it to go, be dominant in all positions and continue his winning streak.

“All I need to do I think is just go out there and do what I want do,” he said. “Do my thing, do what I’ve learned and the fight will be just like every other fight.”

Even though he’s entering only the second year of his career, Rama feels he’s established himself through his performances in his fights and now seeks to be recognized for what he’s accomplished.

“In a way, I do have something to prove and I don’t,” he said. “People still look at me as an underdog, but all my fights have been first-round stoppages. When I’ve got the number one spot, maybe I’ll get a little more attention, but I’m not looking for attention. I’m looking for fights. I’m looking for sponsors and exposure.

“I want the world to see me. I don’t want the world to know me. I don’t want them to talk about me, but know that I’m there and I’m a legitimate contender. I want to take the number one ranking, take the MFC title and I want to keep this steady road I’ve been going on this past 12 months.”

Robert Whittaker Finishes Derek Brunson in the First (UFC Melbourne Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Robert Whittaker got the attention of the top of the middleweight division on Saturday when he finished eighth-ranked Derek Brunson in the first round. read news >>

Robert Whittaker: 'Puts The Whole Middleweight Division On Notice' | MMAWeekly.com

Rising middleweight star Robert Whittaker believes he put the entire 185-pound division on notice with his first-round finish of eighth-ranked Derek Brunson. read news >>

Bellator MMA Returns to Kansas in January | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA announced on Monday the first two fights for "Bellator 171" which will take place inside Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, Kansas, on January 27. read news >>

Max Holloway ready to clear up formerly murky waters of featherweight division at UFC 206

When Max Holloway heard Daniel Cormier was out of the UFC 206 main event next week in Toronto, he had a sneaking suspicion he probably was going to be elevated from his co-feature slot to headliner. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 24: Ep. 12 Preview

After 14 fights involving 16 of the world's best flyweight fighters, The Ultimate Fighter will determine a new title challenger at 125 pounds this week, as Tim Elliott meets Hiromasa Ogikubo in the f read news >>

Relive Max Holloway's Win Over Ricardo Lamas (UFC 206 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway extended his winning streak to nine fights at UFC 199. He looks to push it to double digits and become interim featherweight champion at UFC 206. read news >>

January's UFC 208 in Anaheim moved to UFC 209 slot in Brooklyn on Feb. 11

With no fights made official for a planned return to Southern California next month, the UFC is shifting gears. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Previously Partying Before Fights

Jon Jones is one of the most talented MMA fighters in history, but his actions outside the Octagon have held him back. He discussed some of his past actions Thursday on The Joe Rogan Experience (h/t read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Finale: Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine some of the key fights on this card to see who comes out on top in some of these ultra competitive matchups and if there might be an upset brewing at The Ult read news >>

Titan FC 42 results: Jason Jackson gets first-round TKO of Dhiego Lima to win welterweight title

It didn’t take much for Jason Jackson to become Titan FC’s new welterweight champion – and that’s the gripe Dhiego Lima will have for a long time. Filed under: News read news >>