SINGAPORE – To say there was a little pressure on Royston Wee this week would probably be an understatement.

After just two pro fights, Wee signed with the UFC as the promotion’s first fighter from Singapore and made his promotional debut in the UFC’s first event there. Not only was he fighting for personal pride, but he had an entire country he was trying to do right by, as well.

But even as an underdog, Wee (3-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) left little doubt with a dominant win over David Galera (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC). He had to eat an illegal upkick to get there, but it probably was worth the price.

“It feels great,” Wee said after the win. “Coming into this fight, there was a lot of pressure from the public and the media. I just did what I needed to do – train hard and get my win.”

The 27-year-old bantamweight had to leave the first round for the first time against Galera. His first two pro fights both ended with first-round submissions – and those wins were more than two years ago.

So he had the pressure of a long layoff to go along with the pressure of performing in front of his home fans at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Singapore.

But it’s pressure that he tried his best to eschew ahead of the fight.

“Whether or not there are people who doubt me, my intention in the UFC is to win and to perform,” he said. “I’m glad I got my first win in my debut and I hope I brought a good fight to you guys. I’ve been training very hard for the past six months. I haven’t really had a break at all. I’m just glad I’m able to perform and bring a win tonight. I was just relieved that I can now take a vacation.”

Mark Fischer, the UFC’s Executive Vice President and Managing Director of UFC Asia, said he was encouraged by what Wee brought to the table in his debut.

“I think he’s got a very bright future based on what we saw tonight,” Fischer said. “A lot of people questioned Royston – is he the right guy? Is he really the best fighter in Singapore to be the first (in the UFC)? And I think he proved tonight that Sean Shelby and the guys who make those decisions in the UFC were correct. We’re looking forward to seeing Royston in the octagon again.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 34, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan contributed to this report from Singapore.

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next |

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

Will Brooks' Tough Chicago Upbringing Built a Champion (video) |

Fast rising lightweight Will Brooks journeys to Chicago to revisit his harrowing past where he battled his family’s struggles and homelessness. read news >>

Will Brooks upset with 'unprofessional' Alex Oliveira after big miss at weigh-ins: 'This is your job'

PORTLAND, Ore. – [autotag]Will Brooks[/autotag] was still cutting weight in the sauna when he received news UFC Fight Night 96 opponent [autotag]Alex Oliveira[/autotag] had missed weight by a fairly read news >>

Will Brooks Rips Alex Oliveira, Who Misses Weight by 5.5 Pounds |

Will Brooks was upset and tore into Alex Oliveira after his UFC Fight Night 96 opponent missed the lightweight cutoff by 5.5 pounds. read news >>

Twitter reacts to 'Cowboy' Oliveira's upset TKO of Will Brooks at UFC Fight Night 96

Despite receiving much grief for missing weight by 5.5 pounds for his UFC Fight Night 96 appearance, Alex Oliveira managed to earn perhaps the biggest victory of his career when he defeated former Be read news >>

After Burkman upset, Zak Ottow explains why he's thankful UFC didn't sign him sooner

PORTLAND, Ore. – Competing against an MMA veteran of more than 40 fights on short notice – in his UFC debut – was no problem for Zak Ottow. So, how’d he do it?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Alex Oliveira's Upset of Will Brooks Marred by Repeated Unprofessional Conduct

By any objective analysis, Alex Oliveira’s victory at UFC Fight Night: Dodson vs. Lineker was the most meaningful of his career. In defeating Will Brooks, he scored his first career win over a ranked read news >>

UFC 204: The Risk of Revenge for Michael Bisping

Michael Bisping won the UFC Middleweight Championship with the biggest upset of 2016. Now defending his title at home against arch-rival Dan Henderson, is "The Count" risking an inauspiciou read news >>

Josh Samman Passes Away After Brief Coma at 28

Josh Samman, five-fight UFC veteran, has passed away after spending the past few daysin a coma. At this time, it is unclear how Samman and his roommate died.Last week, it was reported thatUFC Middlew read news >>