‘Shogun’ to Unite with Nova Uniao Before UFC ‘Rio’


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
According to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, accommodations were one of the major contributing factors in his one-sided title loss to Jon Jones at UFC 128 in March.

A few weeks after the defeat, the 29-year-old Brazilian flew to the U.S. to rejoin his longtime mentor, Rafael Cordeiro, at Kings MMA in Huntington Beach, Calif. Now, as he approaches one of the most crucial fights of his career, Rua is eying another change in locale.

Fifteen days before his Aug. 27 rematch with Forrest Griffin at UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro, Shogun and Cordeiro will head to Brazil for a two-week adjustment period. There, Rua will close out his training camp at Rio’s Nova Uniao academy under the command of Andre Pederneiras.

The former UFC light heavyweight champ will arrive in his home country Aug. 13, alongside Cordeiro, a wrestling coach and Renato “Babalu” Sobral, the first man to defeat Rua and now his cornerman. The crew will first train in Rua and Cordeiro’s home of Curitiba, Parana, before wrapping up in Rio.

“We decided to make the final stage of training in Rio de Janeiro, and I really wanted it to be at master Pederneiras’ gym,” Cordeiro told Sherdog.com on Monday. “We’re always looking for good vibrations, and I’m sure that Nova Uniao, one of the greatest centers of excellence in MMA, is the right place. I will be honored to have [Shogun] training with ‘Dede’ Pederneiras.”

Pederneiras confirmed the plan and expressed his excitement at welcoming the former champ.

“We just have to schedule a good time for them,” Pederneiras told Sherdog.com. “It will be an honor for me and for my students to have one of the best coaches in the world and one of the greatest champions.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 20 days ago
  • 40 views

With the cancellation of UFC 176, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta explained the promotion’s decision – saying he doesn’t think it had anything to do with the UFC having too many fight cards scheduled.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC, Videos more

  • 20 days ago
  • 54 views

Video: Lorenzo Fertitta (via YouTube) explains to FOX Sports why he had no other option but to postpone UFC 176, which was set to go down on Aug. 2, 2014, after Jose Aldo suffered a neck injury that forced him out of his title fight vs. Chad Mendes. more

  • 8 days ago
  • 74 views

Most MMA fans, no matter the age, get the opportunity to gaze upon a genuine rivalry between two elite fighters in their lifetime. They square off back and forth, split victories and keep fans hungry. That’s like winning $15 on a $1 scratcher from the gas station across the street. Few fight fans ever get the opportunity to be witness to two of the best fight camps in the world—stocked to the brim with elite fighters—showcasing a similar rivalry. That’s like landing the rich girl, or guy, who's more

  • 5 days ago
  • 322 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Renan Barao will fight his third UFC title fight in less than seven months at August’s UFC 177, but this time he will be in the blue corner. The former UFC bantamweight kingpin will try to reclaim the title when he rematches T.J. Dillashaw on Aug. 30 in Las Vegas, Nev., and he changed a few things in his camp for the rematch. "You always have to bring something new," Barao said in a media scrum in Brazil. "I accepted the fight on short notice and I wasn’t 100 percent ready more

  • 5 days ago
  • 29 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo is not medically cleared to train yet, and the possibility of creating an interim title won’t make him rush back to the Octagon. UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta admitted earlier this month that the promotion could create an interim title if the featherweight champion from Nova Uniao couldn’t return to the Octagon by October. "No chance at all," Aldo’s coach and manager Andre Pederneiras said of the possibility of rushing his rehab to avoid an interim title. "He’s alread more

  • 3 days ago
  • 2 views

Gilbert Burns’ neighbors in Brazil’s Niteroi state of Rio de Janeiro include Paulo Filho, Ricardo Arona, Thales Leites and Rafael dos Anjos. Now Vitor Belfort’s jiu-jitsu coach will look for his own big-time success. Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 2 days ago
  • 2 views

SAN JOSE – Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 12 card, UFC President Dana White announced a canceled rematch between featherweight champ Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes will headline UFC 179 on Oct. 25 in Rio de Janeiro. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

  • 2 days ago
  • 2 views

Proving Mendes is not a "pussy." Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo appears to be on the road to recovery and will indeed fight Chad Mendes for a second time when they hook 'em up at the upcoming UFC 179 pay-per-view (PPV) event, which is now official for Oct. 25, 2014, inside the Maracanãzinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. UFC President Dana White made the announcement at the UFC on FOX 12 post-fight press conference last Saturday (replay). Aldo (21-1) h more

  • 29 days ago
  • 73 views

You can now watch a video of the full Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida segment from the “Countdown to UFC 175? special, which debuted Sunday on FOX Sports 1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more