‘Shogun’ plans crowd-pleaser with Te Huna, angles for future fights in Brazil


mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 14 views

That's according to Silva, who seems unfazed by this recent deadline. Wanderlei Silva is either incredibly dense, in complete denial, or has the best poker face in the business. I'm not sure how else read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

Mark Dickman believes with his current record, winning the featherweight championship at RFA 17 on Friday night would plant him on the UFC's radar. read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 2 views

Earlier this week GLORY installed sports marketing veteran Jon Franklin as Chief Executive Officer. A 15-year veteran of IMG, Franklin takes up the CEO role at a crucial juncture in GLORY's operation read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 5 views

Charles "Do Bronx" wants to beat Nik Lentz before looking ahead in his UFC career and would like to fight in Metamoris. Owner of six submission wins inside the octagon, the still young Charles Olivei read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 123 views

You can't make this shit up. Just hours after Henry Cejudo withdrew from UFC 177 for "medical reasons," it has now been learned that event headliner Renan Barao is also off tomorrow night's (Aug. 30, read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 18 views

The lineup is set for this month’s “ONE FC 19: Reign of Champions” event, which includes a championship tripleheader.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

After a pro career that ran more than a decade and included more than a dozen bouts in the world’s top promotion, UFC lightweight veteran Mark Bocek has announced his retirement.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 15 views

Roger Gracie took a year out to decide his fighting future, and he might find a new home in Asia. The last member of the Gracie family to enter the UFC Octagon, Gracie had decided to return to jiu-ji read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 12 views

The UFC has booked a bunch of fights over the last few days, and here's a rundown of what they put together. Since the UFC has decided to produce 50+ events in 2014, there is a remarkable amount of f read news >>

Related

Jump to: