mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Anthony Johnson plans on 'running right through' Ryan Bader, wants to 'take his soul'

SAO PAULO – Anthony Johnson’s push for a fight with Ryan Bader paid off in the form of a main event fight at UFC on FOX 18. With the fight set, Johnson explained why he wanted the fight so badly.File read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 Medical Suspensions: Five Fighters Could Be Out Six Months

UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3 featured eight finishes in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Saturday resulting in six fighters potentially facing six-month medical suspensions. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 winner Thomas Almeida gunning for UFC title, plans long reign

After another massive knockout victory that upped his UFC record at 4-0, undefeated bantamweight Thomas Almeida has begun to set his sights on UFC gold. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 Fighter Bonuses: Knockouts Were the Order of the Night

With several exciting finishes to choose from on Saturday night, UFC officials decided to forgo a Fight of the Night award and instead issued four Performance bonuses. read news >>

UFC 193 Free Fight Video: Ronda Rousey Taps Cat Zingano in Record Time

UFC champion Ronda Rousey is known for her quick finishes, but she took that to an entirely new level with her win over Cat Zingano. read news >>

RFA 32's Leandro Higo: 'TUF: Brazil 4' disappointment won't keep me from UFC

When Leandro Higo fights tonight at RFA 32, he’ll enter the cage with the goal of almost every fighter: earning his way into the UFC.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

TUF Latin America 2 - Episode 11 Preview

It's down to the final two fights after a long season on The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America this year, with Team Gastelum's Erick Montano set to face Team Escudero's Vernon Ramos this week, the read news >>

This is MMA in November: Title fights, stadium event, 8-man tourney and more

In a year full of big events, November might be the most crowded month on the calendar thus far, with just about every major organization hosting at least one event. Let’s take a look at the offering read news >>

UFC 195's Lorenz Larkin on Albert Tumenov: Didn't know him until he called me out

Lorenz Larkin still has no plans to use his victory over current UFC champion Robbie Lawler to his advantage, even if he defeats Albert Tumenov at UFC 195 on Jan. 2. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

CES 31 video highlights with four first-round stoppages, including welterweight title fight

Friday’s CES 31 event featured six main-card fights and five finishes, including four in the first round. Check out the video highlights inside. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured, Featured Videos, read news >>