mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC New Orleans main event result recap: Henderson finishes Boetsch early

Bloody Elbow recaps the fights from UFC Fight Night 68 on Saturday night in New Orleans,Louisiana. Here, we look at the main event between PRIDE FC star Dan Henderson and Tim Boetsch. On Saturday nig read news >>

Legacy FC 42 Fight Highlights: Six Stunning Finishes in Seven Fights

At Legacy FC 42 on Friday night, six of the seven main card bouts ended in stunning finishes. Check out the Legacy FC 42 fight highlights. read news >>

UFC New Orleans main card result recap: Poirier, Ortega impress, Soto knocked out

Bloody Elbow recaps the fights from UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Boetsch Saturday night in New Orleans, Louisiana. Here, we look at the main card bouts, including a fight of the night between Brian read news >>

Sara McMann Fights Amanda Nunes at UFC Nashville

Top ten-ranked female bantamweights Sara McMann and Amanda Nunes will face off at UFC Fight Night 73: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux in Nashville. read news >>

UFC 188 'Prelims:' Fight Pass undercard preview and predictions, Pt. 1

More fights are coming to Fight Pass and FX Network this weekend (Sat., June 13, 2015) when UFC 188: “Velasquez vs. Werdum” kicks off from Arena Ciudad de Mexico in Mexico City, Mexico. MMAmania.com' read news >>

Ben Rothwell: I doubt Cain Velasquez fights the same way after UFC drug testing kicks in

Shots fired! Hello Ben Rothwell, nice to meet you. "Big Ben" is certainly not the same fighter he was a few years ago, recently winning three straight, including his first-round submission victory ov read news >>

There's a Possibility Jon Jones Never Fights Again, According to Head Coach

Usually when you see "Jon Jones" and "coach" in the same sentence, you think Greg Jackson. But Jackson is one half of the head coaching team at the world-renowned gym down in Albuquerque, New Mexico. read news >>

Two Title Fights to Headline Super Fight League 41

Super Fight League 41 returns to the Emerald Queen Casino in Washington with two title fights on tap. read news >>

Video: Steven Seagal crashes Russian Sambo tourney, scores whopping 15 finishes in just 60 seconds

I'm not sure which is more impressive, the fact that Steven Seagal can repel two attackers at once, or the fact that said attackers can recover so quickly and come back for more? I dunno, it's almost read news >>

8 Must-See MMA Fights in June

June features six major MMA cards, and we have already seen one of those pass. If UFC Fight Night 68 is any indication, we may be in for a wild ride this month. Ten of the 12 bouts from UFC Fight Nig read news >>