mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC FIGHT PASS Preview - Fight Night Portland

The Fight Night Portland FIGHT PASS fights are all set to begin at 7:15pm ET / 4:15pm PT, and without further ado, this is the UFC FIGHT PASS preview of Fight Night Portland. read news >>

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next |

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

Jake Ellenberger vs. Jorge Masvidal added to TUF 24 Finale

The Ultimate Fighter 24 finale is stacked with great fights, and now a welterweight war between Jake Ellenberger and Jorge Masvidal has been added.This season of The Ultimate Fighter is a very intere read news >>

Dan Henderson Reveals His One Regret |

Mixed martial arts pioneer and legend Dan Henderson plans to hang up his gloves after his rematch with Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on October 8. read news >>

Victory Fighting Championship books '3 Shows, 30 Days' year-end run with 6 title fights on UFC Fight Pass

Victory Fighting Championship is gearing up to go hot and heavy to close out the 2016 calendar year this fall and early winter.Filed under: News read news >>

Polish MMA Promotion Books Mother of All Freak Show Fights | FIGHTLAND

For all the great fights the now-defunct Pride FC put on in their Japanese homeland, some of the most vivid memories evoked from that promotion are the series of freak show fights and mismatches it p read news >>

MMA fighter knocks out drunk while working as bouncer - 'TMZ Sports'

When you're drunk at the bar, don't pick fights with people you don't know. Here's a reminder of why MMA fighters are the real deal. read news >>

GFL Video: Top 5 finishes – including a spinning kick to the face for the ages

The weekend is here – well, just about, anyway – and that means we’re on the cusp of more fights. To get you geared up, don’t miss five killer knockouts inside from GoFightLive.Filed under: Featured read news >>

Rampage Jackson's Cousin, Nick Payne Looking to Add V3 Title to Spotless Record |

Undefeated Nick Payne, the cousin of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, is looking to add the V3 Fights lightweight title to his spotless record. read news >>

Mandy Polk Leveraging Her Competitive Fitness Background Heading into V3 Fights |

Mandy Polk hopes to leverage her competitive fitness background to ensure her success at V3 Fights on Saturday. read news >>