mauricio-shogun-rua-27.jpgWith a decade of highlight-reel finishes under his belt, it seems impossible that Mauricio Rua today celebrates just his 32nd birthday. Next month, he meets James Te Huna, and “Shogun” plans to go toe-to-toe.

“He’s a very good boxer,” Rua told MMAjunkie through an interpreter. “I know him and his style. It’s a fight that fans will want to watch because there’s going to be a lot of striking.”

Rua, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, has struggled in recent outings, losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career. In August, he headlined the UFC first-ever event to air on FOX Sports 1 and suffered a shocking first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen.

“I’ve thought about it,” Rua said. “I made a mistake, and he capitalized on it. I lost the fight, but it was all his merit.”

But Rua won’t be sidelined long, as he was quickly booked for next month’s UFC Fight Night 33 event, where he’ll travel to Australia, home of fellow slugger James Te Huna. The two serve as the co-feature of the event, which takes place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre and airs in North America one day prior due to the time difference.

Rua said he’s excited for the chance to put on a show Down Under.

“They offered, and I was up for it, so I took it,” Rua said. “The timing ended up working out perfect for me. I’m fighting in his home country, and it’s going to be an exciting fight.”

Rua has long been one of Brazil’s most popular fighters, with a fan-friendly style heavy on devastating strikes. He was featured in the UFC’s August 2011 return to Brazil, the company’s first event in the country in nearly 13 years. Surprisingly, though, he hasn’t fought in the country since.

Rua said he’s fine with the challenge of traveling to Australia but would appreciate a few opportunities to fight closer to home.

“I’ll do whatever the UFC asks me to do, but fighting in Brazil is better,” Rua said. “I don’t have a time difference and the food is the same.”

In many ways, the fight with Te Huna is a must-win for Rua, who is unquestionably a legend in the sport but has struggled to establish a consistent track record since coming from PRIDE to the UFC in 2007. Despite his relatively young age, there have been some calls for him to start considering what will come after his fighting career.

Rua isn’t ready for that just yet.

“I don’t think about it yet,” Rua said. “When I stop fighting, I’ll start thinking about it, but so far, I have not put any thought into this.”

Instead, he’ll focus on Te Huna, a fellow strike-first fighter who will likely be more than happy to stand and trade in the pocket. That probably sounds like a dream scenario for Rua, but a win may come easier on the floor.

Rua won’t tip his hand just yet, but he’s expecting a barnburner.

“I’m going to train every aspect of it so that I’m prepared for whatever happens,” Rua said.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 33, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

From Around the Web

Dana White plans to talk to Josh Koscheck about retirement: I'm gonna try to push him in that direction

UFC President Dana White revealed that he is inclined to push Josh Koscheck towards retirement, even though he has a “soft spot” for the TUF season 1 fighters. It was a mere three weeks ago that UFC read news >>

UFC Rio: Ref Eduardo Herdy makes a pair of epic bad calls

Referee Eduardo Herdy has only refereed 6 UFC fights in his career, and at this rate he won't be doing too many more with his mindboggling decisions. There have been two very terrible stoppages on th read news >>

New UFC-Brazil head, Giovani Decker, jokes about 'coming in on the right foot'

RIO DE JANEIRO – Giovani Decker plans to take UFC-Brazil to new heights. He picked a good night to be announced as the man to do it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Josh Koscheck undecided on UFC future, plans to talk soon with Dana White

RIO DE JANEIRO – A fifth straight loss for Josh Koscheck will prompt a talk between the onetime UFC welterweight title challenger and UFC President Dana White.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Rio results - Pepey, Burns, and Santos score submission wins, Nunes TKOs Baszler

Check out the results from the first four fights on the main card of UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The judges were not needed for the first few fights on the UFC Fight read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 results: Godofredo Pepey upsets Andre Fili with first-round triangle

RIO DE JANEIRO – Three fights, three highlight-reel finishes for Godofredo Pepey, who upset Andre Fili in the first round.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Rio: Ref Eduardo Herdy makes a pair of epic bad calls

UFC: Rousey plans to to embarrass Correia in her own back yard

UFC women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey discusses her upcoming title defense against top contender, Bethe Correia. In women's MMA, the buck stops with Ronda Rousey. She is the bantamweight ch read news >>

UFC 190: Ronda Rousey to have a 'come to Jesus meeting' with Bethe Correia in Brazil

And "Rowdy" plans to discipline and embarrass "Pitbull" for messing with her family. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey will put her strap on the line read news >>