The last time Shinya Aoki stepped in the cage, things did not go his way at all.

Aoki traveled to America for a rematch with former Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez, and instead of going 2-0 against the Philadelphia native, he got finished by TKO early in the first round.

Looking back at the fight, Aoki isn’t making excuses and he isn’t trying to find some mystery reason why he lost. He knows exactly why he didn’t come away with a victory that night.

“It is very simple. I failed to execute the game plan for the fight,” Aoki told via email. “I lost fairly and I have no excuses.”

The series between Aoki and Alvarez now stands and one win a piece with Aoki submitting Alvarez via heel hook in their first fight back in 2008.

There’s no longstanding grudge between Aoki and Alvarez, but the former DREAM lightweight champion would certainly enjoy one more fight to settle the rivalry at some point in the future.

“I would love a 3rd match with Eddie. He is a great fighter, but I know that I can beat him. I also know that the fans would love a 3rd fight,” said Aoki.

For now however, Aoki’s attention is directed at his new promotional home. The submission specialist recently signed a multi-fight deal with Asian promotion ONE FC where he will begin competing in August.

Following the downfall of DREAM and virtually every major MMA promotion in Japan, Aoki needed a new home and ONE FC gave him the perfect landing spot.

“I am thrilled to be a part of ONE FC. They gave me a very lucrative contract. It was the highest offer that I received by far. I am very happy and my family is too,” Aoki stated.

Aoki has been a part of some of the biggest fights and promotions during his time competing in his home country of Japan, He fought in both Pride and DREAM, but Aoki believes ONE FC is the next major player for MMA in Asia.

“I believe in ONE FC 100%. I did a lot of homework before signing with them. Without a doubt, it will become bigger than PRIDE ever was. ONE FC is Asia’s largest MMA organization today and it will only become even bigger in the future. ONE FC is the real thing,” Aoki stated.

The goal for Aoki now that he’s with ONE FC is to face the biggest names in the biggest fights. He’s not concerned with titles or accolades, Shinya Aoki just wants to be the best fighter he can be.

“I’d like to fight as often as possible on ONE FC. I don’t fight for titles or anything else. I am a martial artist,” Aoki stated. “I am driven simply by the desire to be the best fighter that I can be. I would love the honor to bring more glory to my team, Evolve MMA, which has helped me so much in my development as a fighter already. I hope to be a complete fighter in the future.”

Shinya Aoki next competes at the ONE FC: Pride of a Nation show in Manila on Aug 31.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor to headline UFC 205

A superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor will headline UFC 205 in New York CityConor McGregor will look to become the first UFC fighterto hold championships in two separate weight classe read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

Conor McGregor’s next fight will come against Eddie Alvarez on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York as part of UFC 205. UFC president Dana White confirmed the match will occur on Tuesday duri read news >>

Alvarez-McGregor confirmed for UFC 205 at MSG

Conor McGregor will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title in the headline event of UFC 205 in November, UFC officials confirmed Monday. read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Confirmed to Headline UFC 205 in New York |

Despite all the smoke and mirrors, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor will fight lightweight titleholder Eddie Alvarez in the UFC 205 main event. read news >>

UFC 205: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Superfight Official

It's happening. UFC champions Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez will do battle in New York in just over one month.Talk MMA first reported the news, then UFC President Dana White confirmed it on S read news >>

Conor McGregor gets lightweight title shot, challenges Eddie Alvarez in UFC 205 headliner

One of the most monumental fight cards in UFC history will get a monumental main event. UFC featherweight champ [autotag]Conor McGregor[/autotag] will attempt to add lightweight gold to his collectio read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov ‘Got Used’ to Make Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez |

Khabib Nurmagomedov feels like he got used to get Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez "get on their knees and beg." read news >>

Eddie Alvarez-Conor McGregor confirmed for UFC 205

Alvarez-McGregor confirmed for UFC 205 at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Nov. 12. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Talks Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez UFC 205 Fight Booking

UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov has branded the organisation a "freak show" after the confirmation that featherweight champion Conor McGregor would face lightweight counterpart Eddie Alvarez at UFC 2 read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor UFC 205 main event announcement

UFC 205’s main event is official, as is the remainder of the card for the Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden, which marks the UFC’s debut in New York City and return to the state after more than 21 yea read news >>