The last time Shinya Aoki stepped in the cage, things did not go his way at all.

Aoki traveled to America for a rematch with former Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez, and instead of going 2-0 against the Philadelphia native, he got finished by TKO early in the first round.

Looking back at the fight, Aoki isn’t making excuses and he isn’t trying to find some mystery reason why he lost. He knows exactly why he didn’t come away with a victory that night.

“It is very simple. I failed to execute the game plan for the fight,” Aoki told MMAWeekly.com via email. “I lost fairly and I have no excuses.”

The series between Aoki and Alvarez now stands and one win a piece with Aoki submitting Alvarez via heel hook in their first fight back in 2008.

There’s no longstanding grudge between Aoki and Alvarez, but the former DREAM lightweight champion would certainly enjoy one more fight to settle the rivalry at some point in the future.

“I would love a 3rd match with Eddie. He is a great fighter, but I know that I can beat him. I also know that the fans would love a 3rd fight,” said Aoki.

For now however, Aoki’s attention is directed at his new promotional home. The submission specialist recently signed a multi-fight deal with Asian promotion ONE FC where he will begin competing in August.

Following the downfall of DREAM and virtually every major MMA promotion in Japan, Aoki needed a new home and ONE FC gave him the perfect landing spot.

“I am thrilled to be a part of ONE FC. They gave me a very lucrative contract. It was the highest offer that I received by far. I am very happy and my family is too,” Aoki stated.

Aoki has been a part of some of the biggest fights and promotions during his time competing in his home country of Japan, He fought in both Pride and DREAM, but Aoki believes ONE FC is the next major player for MMA in Asia.

“I believe in ONE FC 100%. I did a lot of homework before signing with them. Without a doubt, it will become bigger than PRIDE ever was. ONE FC is Asia’s largest MMA organization today and it will only become even bigger in the future. ONE FC is the real thing,” Aoki stated.

The goal for Aoki now that he’s with ONE FC is to face the biggest names in the biggest fights. He’s not concerned with titles or accolades, Shinya Aoki just wants to be the best fighter he can be.

“I’d like to fight as often as possible on ONE FC. I don’t fight for titles or anything else. I am a martial artist,” Aoki stated. “I am driven simply by the desire to be the best fighter that I can be. I would love the honor to bring more glory to my team, Evolve MMA, which has helped me so much in my development as a fighter already. I hope to be a complete fighter in the future.”

Shinya Aoki next competes at the ONE FC: Pride of a Nation show in Manila on Aug 31.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Anthony Pettis' goal? Dominate Eddie Alvarez, 'make my case for title shot'

BOSTON – Anthony Pettis got a taste of life as a UFC champion, and now he wants more.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dillashaw focused on Cruz, not 'feud' with Faber (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: T.J. Dillashaw brushes off feud talk with Urijah Faber, saying his old mentor is just trying to angle for a title fight to "make some money." read news >>

Video: Despite move back to Philly, Eddie Alvarez says no troubles with Blackzilians

BOSTON – UFC lightweight Eddie Alvarez wants fight writers to stop stirring the pot when it comes to his training camps. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dillashaw focused on Cruz, not 'feud' with Faber (Yahoo Sports)

UFC Fight Night 81 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis returns to the Octagon for the first time since losing his belt last March against Eddie Alvarez at UFC Fight Night 81. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Embedded Video Preview: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez

Go behind the scenes during the fight camps of former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and top contender Eddie Alvarez as the two prepare do to battle on Jan. 17. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Eddie Alvarez edges Anthony Pettis by split decision

BOSTON – Eddie Alvarez made it his mission to get in close against Anthony Pettis and get him to the floor, even if at times it meant stalling out against the fence.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Eddie Alvarez Stuffs Anthony Pettis, Wants Title Shot

Eddie Alvarez may not have made it the most exciting of fights, but he defeated Anthony Pettis in Boston, and then called for a title shot. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez: UFC Fight Night 81 Winner, Scorecard, Reaction

Sunday's lightweight showdown between Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez wasn't a title fight, but it felt like one. Alvarez captured the victory by split decision in a back-and-forth affair at UFC Fig read news >>