Shane Roller faces fellow three-time All-American collegiate wrestler Jacob Volkmann on Oct. 5 at UFC on FX 5.

Ahead of the matchup, Roller joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent’s style, what he would do differently if he could start his career over and more.

On whether his team, Team Takedown, has accomplished what it set out to do: “Not yet. I think it’s on a long-term basis. I think it needs someone to go get the title. I think that’s when it will start paying [owner Ted Ehrhardt] off financially, once that happens. He enjoys it, I think, and I think he’s enjoyed the process so far, but there’s about a seven-year business model, business plan that he drew up. He knew it was going to take a while.”

On how he should have started his career: “I fought really quick, maybe two months after I started out. I was real green to it. I didn’t have any hands or anything. I’d like to [have had] more training. Maybe six months in and then do some amateur fights before I actually did a pro fight, just to get used to what it’s going to be like. Getting in the cage the first few times out, it’s usually a local show and you’re wanting to knock someone out in front of your fans and stuff. At least I did. I got away from my game plan. I’d like to [have had] a few matches under my belt, a few fights underneath my belt before making my pro debut.”

On Volkmann: “He’s tough. He’s got good submissions and he’s a good wrestler. He hasn’t lost very much. Anybody that has a record of 14-3 I think is going to be a good opponent to get my hand raised against.”

On his strategy for the bout: “I’m confident in my wrestling and getting it to the ground. I’d like to stand with him and see how it’s going. If I feel uncomfortable up there, then take it to the ground. I always think that’s where my advantage is, is getting the fight to the ground. I don’t care if I’m fighting a jiu-jitsu specialist or somebody that’s good with their hands, I still think that’s where I’m best at, so that’s where I like to take the fight.”

On whether he’ll have the striking advantage: “I think so, but I like to finish fights on the mat. At some point I see it going to the mat.”

On Volkmann’s style: “I know kind of his style is to take them down and just control them on top. That’s kind of how he wins his fights. I think his wins in the UFC have all been three-round decisions and he hasn’t had any finishes. I think that’s part of his game plan, to get the takedown and grind out a win. I think almost all my fights have been early fights except a couple and I’m always looking to finish a fight. I’m usually a part of an exciting fight. I plan on making this fight an exciting fight too.”

On how his alma mater, Oklahoma St., stacked up against Volkmann’s, Minnesota: “Someone told me the other day in an interview that he said something about OSU can’t hang with Minnesota or something, but I don’t even know what he’s really talking about. I know that my senior year, and I think it was his senior year, we won nationals. So I don’t know why he was trying to say that OSU couldn’t hang with them. It didn’t make any sense to me. I’m just excited. I know he’s a tough wrestler. He came from a tough background. Anybody with that background, that’s went through the practices of D-1 wrestling like he has, he’s a tough guy. I know he’s going to bring it and be ready to fight. I’m looking forward to it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:07:00).

Cejudo Faces Formiga in Mexico

Unbeaten in back-to-back bouts at 125 pounds, Henry Cejudo will continue his march toward a world title shot when he battles Brazilian contender Jussier Formiga on November 21 in Monterrey, Mexico. read news >>

Will Brooks to fellow Bellator champ Patricio Freire: 'I will slap you in your f-cking mouth'

For at least one event, Patricio Freire has bragging rights, and he’s making the most of it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Updated: 'Wandy' offers no evidence to support fixed-fight claims, faces lawsuit over comments

It’s no secret that Wanderlei Silva is not fond of the UFC or its management. The former PRIDE and UFC star has been lashing out at UFC officials since running out of a gym to avoid a NSAC drug test read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 Fight Card: Neil Magny Replaces Rick Story, Faces Erick Silva

Less than one month after seeing his seven-bout winning streak snapped by Demian Maia, Neil Magny will return to the Octagon and look to get back into the win column. With Rick Story injured, Magny h read news >>

Conor McGregor inspired Diego Sanchez to drop to Featherweight, confident he will soon be in contender 'mix'

Tired of always being the smaller guy with the shorter reach, Diego Sanchez decided it was time to make the drop down to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight division. That's accord read news >>

Neil Magny in for injured Rick Story, faces Erick Silva at UFC Fight Night 74

UFC Fight Night 74 has a new co-main event following an injury to Rick Story.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg's nutritionist says she can 'absolutely' get down to 135 pounds by December

Cris Cyborg's nutritionist is confident he can get the women's MMA star down to 135 pounds. And he thinks he can do it by December. George Lockhart told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA H read news >>

Jacare open to UFC title fight at 205 pounds, expects fight against Romero next

UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza is confident that he will soon hold a UFC belt, regardless of the weight class. Currently riding an eight-fight winning streak, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza might o read news >>

Beneil Dariush, Michael Johnson react to controversial co-main at UFC Fight Night 73

NASHVILLE – Neither Beneil Dariush nor Michael Johnson were confident of victory after three rounds together in UFC Fight Night 73’s co-main event. Both thought the judges’ scores could go either way read news >>

Anderson Silva confident testing inconsistencies will help clear name

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva believes that testing irregularities will help clear his name. After months of inexplicable delays, Anderson Silva will finally determine whether he wi read news >>