Shane Nelson UFC 96Former UFC fighter “Sugar” Shane Nelson admits that, sometimes, bad decision making has derailed his career.

Following a stint on The Ultimate Fighter that was less than exemplary, Nelson had managed to start rebuilding his career when a loss in Japan in February against Takasuke Kume halted his momentum.

“I shouldn’t have even taken that fight. I didn’t know what I was getting into,” said Nelson. “The guy putting on the show was actually the head trainer of the guy I fought, so it was kind of a conflict of interest and not too professional how they ran that show.”

Prior to the loss to Kume, Nelson had won three fights in a row following his release from the UFC in 2009.

“After the UFC, I took a year off and went back to training jiu-jitsu and got back to basics; back to having fun training and not having to train for a fight; and just got my hunger back,” said Nelson.

“After I left the UFC, I was kind of depressed and didn’t know what I wanted to do, but once I fought that first fight and won, and saw that my game had improved from my year off, I got some more wins and put together a good streak.”

Nelson will have an opportunity to rebound on Oct. 26 for the Maximum Fighting Championship at MFC 35 against Graham Spencer live on AXS TV.

“Of course, I think at some point in the fight I’ll be on my back because he looks like he’s pretty relentless and will keep shooting until he gets me there, so my job will be to not let him hold me there,” said Nelson. “I’ll try to work a couple submissions and if that doesn’t work, I’ll try to get back to my feet.

“For this fight I just made sure that I’ll be in shape to defend takedowns as much as I can. And if he does take me down, make him pay, and rough him up on the feet and make it into a fight where it’s not a clinch-fighting game. I’m looking to be aggressive and hit him more times than he hits me.”

Nelson told MMAWeekly.com that he looks at this fight as a chance to start the next phase of his career.

“For sure, this is a fresh start at 145 pounds,” said Nelson. “If the UFC would have had a 145-pound division (at the time), I would have been in it, but they didn’t, and to me the reason I lost those fights were because I was the smaller guy. It wasn’t because I was out-classed. They were just bigger guys who were able to control where the fight went.

“To me that’s way in the past. I was kind of younger and dumber. I have family now and stuff. That was the old me, and I’m trying to move forward. I try to be humble now. I learned my lesson about putting too much pressure on myself because I was talking smack. When you don’t perform after that or lose, it bites you in the ass.”

Nelson concluded, “Graham’s a tough guy; he’s got a good record and has beaten some notable guys, so I think this will be a good win for my first 145, especially if I can get a stoppage. I’m just going in head-first and we’ll see what happens.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

CM Punk talks UFC debut, criticism, religion in MMA and new writing career with Marvel Comics

CM Punk took part in his very own media scrum while in Las Vegas for International Fight Week and UFC 189. Among the topics discussed were training, his UFC debut, religion in MMA and his blossoming read news >>

UFC 190 preview: A closer look at Ronda Rousey's unmatched career statistics

• a day ago

Ronda Rousey’s pro debut came less than four years ago, but the 28-year-old has already taken the sport by storm – both in and out of the octagon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Pudzianowski returns against Peter Graham at KSW’s debut event in London

Top heavyweight star Mariusz Pudzianowski is officially scheduled to take part in the KSW: Road to Wembley event against Peter Graham. Top Polish promotion KSW is set to host their first internationa read news >>

B.J. Penn says his greatest career moment didn't come in MMA

B.J. Penn is one of just two men to win UFC titles in two different weight classes. He has the most wins in UFC lightweight history and owns victories over some of the biggest names to ever step into read news >>

'Countdown' to UFC 189 promo: 'Mendes vs McGregor' debut episode set for Sunday on FOX Sports 1

The mourning period for Jose Aldo's injured ribs is over and it's time to get excited for the main event at UFC 189, which takes place one week from today (Sat., July 11, 2015) at MGM Grand Garden Ar read news >>

UFC champ Ronda Rousey and Mark Wahlberg set to co-star in 'Mile 22'

Ronda Rousey’s film career appears set to continue with “Mile 22,” a film starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Peter Berg, according to “The Hollywood Reporter.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor fight picks: Bloody Elbow staff picks from McGregor's UFC career

Take a different look back at the UFC career of Conor McGregor as we look at how the BE staff picked his 5 UFC fights heading into UFC 189. Not sure if you have heard, but next week some guy named Co read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 11

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s 11th episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 11 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians'

Episode No. 11 of “The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians” opens with ATT celebrating its crucial victory in the previous episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 11

Tonight, live coverage of episode 11 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. Tonight, episode ten of read news >>