Shane Nelson UFC 96Former UFC fighter “Sugar” Shane Nelson admits that, sometimes, bad decision making has derailed his career.

Following a stint on The Ultimate Fighter that was less than exemplary, Nelson had managed to start rebuilding his career when a loss in Japan in February against Takasuke Kume halted his momentum.

“I shouldn’t have even taken that fight. I didn’t know what I was getting into,” said Nelson. “The guy putting on the show was actually the head trainer of the guy I fought, so it was kind of a conflict of interest and not too professional how they ran that show.”

Prior to the loss to Kume, Nelson had won three fights in a row following his release from the UFC in 2009.

“After the UFC, I took a year off and went back to training jiu-jitsu and got back to basics; back to having fun training and not having to train for a fight; and just got my hunger back,” said Nelson.

“After I left the UFC, I was kind of depressed and didn’t know what I wanted to do, but once I fought that first fight and won, and saw that my game had improved from my year off, I got some more wins and put together a good streak.”

Nelson will have an opportunity to rebound on Oct. 26 for the Maximum Fighting Championship at MFC 35 against Graham Spencer live on AXS TV.

“Of course, I think at some point in the fight I’ll be on my back because he looks like he’s pretty relentless and will keep shooting until he gets me there, so my job will be to not let him hold me there,” said Nelson. “I’ll try to work a couple submissions and if that doesn’t work, I’ll try to get back to my feet.

“For this fight I just made sure that I’ll be in shape to defend takedowns as much as I can. And if he does take me down, make him pay, and rough him up on the feet and make it into a fight where it’s not a clinch-fighting game. I’m looking to be aggressive and hit him more times than he hits me.”

Nelson told MMAWeekly.com that he looks at this fight as a chance to start the next phase of his career.

“For sure, this is a fresh start at 145 pounds,” said Nelson. “If the UFC would have had a 145-pound division (at the time), I would have been in it, but they didn’t, and to me the reason I lost those fights were because I was the smaller guy. It wasn’t because I was out-classed. They were just bigger guys who were able to control where the fight went.

“To me that’s way in the past. I was kind of younger and dumber. I have family now and stuff. That was the old me, and I’m trying to move forward. I try to be humble now. I learned my lesson about putting too much pressure on myself because I was talking smack. When you don’t perform after that or lose, it bites you in the ass.”

Nelson concluded, “Graham’s a tough guy; he’s got a good record and has beaten some notable guys, so I think this will be a good win for my first 145, especially if I can get a stoppage. I’m just going in head-first and we’ll see what happens.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3: Team Liddell vs. Team Griffin Cast Revealed

The UFC revealed the cast for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3: Team Liddell vs. Team Griffin on Tuesday. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Blog: Amanda Cooper - Ep. 7 Preview

Amanda Cooper is a strawweight contestant on Season 23 of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs Team Claudia. This season Cooper has signed on to write weekly blog posts that offer the inside scoop on read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Team Liddell vs Team Griffin cast revealed

Team Liddell and Team Griffin are composed of 16 lightweight Latin American fighters that will challenge each other to find out who will be the Season 3 winner of The Ultimate Fighter® Latin America read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 23: Ep. 7 Preview

Strawweight Jamie Moyle looks to get Team Joanna's first win against Team Claudia's Amanda Cooper on tonight's all-new The Ultimate Fighter at 10pm/7pm ETPT. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>