Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

It is sometimes odd how the winds of change alter life.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar felt the cold wisp of the wind on Thursday as he had to drop out of his proposed number one contenders bout with Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June. Lesnar is again battling diverticulitis.

He’ll have some tough medical decisions to make in the coming days, weeks, and months, but he has declared he’s not giving in without a fight, and plans to one day return to the Octagon.

Stepping in for him at UFC 131 in Vancouver is former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.

“Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” Carwin wrote on his web site on Thursday. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title.  I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

Jason Genet, Carwin’s manager, told MMAWeekly.com that, just as it would have been for Lesnar, a win by Carwin will earn him a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Carwin has had to undergo his own battle, although not life threatening like Lesnar’s, dealing with a problem called lactic acidosis. It’s a condition that caused his body to basically start to shut down during his fight with Lesnar at UFC 116 last summer.

Carwin has been working for months to make sure the problem doesn’t recur, and believes he has it under control. He was already on the card for UFC 131, expecting to take on Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo.

UFC president Dana White said on Thursday that they haven’t yet addressed a new opponent for Einemo.

“My manager said, ‘This is where you belong,’” Carwin wrote, “and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.”

“I hope Brock is able to recover,” he added. “I look forward to facing him again one day.”

(Additional reporting by Damon Martin)

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Claudia Gadelha on Paige VanZant: 'If you put her against anyone from the top 5, she can’t win'

UFC women's strawweight Claudia Gadelha praised Paige VanZant, but wasn't ready to crown her as a serious contender just yet. Plenty of attention on the UFC women's strawweight division has been cent read news >>

Jessica Penne: Championship Opportunity Knocks at UFC Berlin

Opportunities arise in the strangest places in mixed martial arts, but Jessica Penne was ready when the biggest moment of her career came to call. The former atomweight turned UFC women's strawweight read news >>

Covington Replaces Spencer in UFC 187 Bout

An injured Sean Spencer has been forced out of his UFC 187 bout against Mike Pyle in Las Vegas. Stepping in for the May 23 match at the MGM Grand Garden Arena will be Colby Covington. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to Have Surgery on Injured Knee, Out Four to Six Months

Second-ranked lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov is going to require surgery on the injured knee that forced him out of his UFC 187 bout against Donald Cerrone. read news >>

Jedrzejczyk-Penne New Berlin Main Event

UFC No.2 light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson has been forced to withdraw from the upcoming UFC FIGHT NIGHT BERLIN main event bout against Glover Teixeira due to a back injury. read news >>

Gustafsson Out; Strawweight Title Fight Now Headlines UFC Berlin

Alexander Gustafsson has been forced out of UFC Berlin, so the UFC has enlisted Joanna Jedrzejczyk to make the first defense of her strawweight championship. read news >>

Gustafsson out vs. Teixeira, Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne headlines UFC Fight Night 69

An injury has forced a major change to the top of the lineup of next month’s UFC Fight Night 69 card in Germany.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier's Opportunity of a Lifetime - Part Two

As one of the top light heavyweights in the world, Daniel Cormier knew he would get another shot at a UFC title. He just didn’t know it would be less than five months after the first one. read news >>

Johny Hendricks: I see myself as UFC's No. 1 welterweight contender

Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks gave up an opportunity to get his title back when he elected to fight at UFC 185 rather than wait for a rubber match with champ Robbie Lawler.Filed un read news >>