Shane Carwin Quickly Accepts Opportunity to Put Himself Back in Contention

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

It is sometimes odd how the winds of change alter life.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar felt the cold wisp of the wind on Thursday as he had to drop out of his proposed number one contenders bout with Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June. Lesnar is again battling diverticulitis.

He’ll have some tough medical decisions to make in the coming days, weeks, and months, but he has declared he’s not giving in without a fight, and plans to one day return to the Octagon.

Stepping in for him at UFC 131 in Vancouver is former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.

“Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” Carwin wrote on his web site on Thursday. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title.  I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

Jason Genet, Carwin’s manager, told MMAWeekly.com that, just as it would have been for Lesnar, a win by Carwin will earn him a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Carwin has had to undergo his own battle, although not life threatening like Lesnar’s, dealing with a problem called lactic acidosis. It’s a condition that caused his body to basically start to shut down during his fight with Lesnar at UFC 116 last summer.

Carwin has been working for months to make sure the problem doesn’t recur, and believes he has it under control. He was already on the card for UFC 131, expecting to take on Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo.

UFC president Dana White said on Thursday that they haven’t yet addressed a new opponent for Einemo.

“My manager said, ‘This is where you belong,’” Carwin wrote, “and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.”

“I hope Brock is able to recover,” he added. “I look forward to facing him again one day.”

(Additional reporting by Damon Martin)

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

While at Bellator HQ Bloody Elbow's John S. Nash had a chance to speak with Simon Inoki of Inoki Genome Federation (IGF) about the future of mma in Japan, pro wrestling shoot matches, and potentiall read news >>

Frank Mir is back on winning track after an impressive first-round TKO victory over Antonio Silva last Sunday in Brazil. Now he keeps calling for a rubber match against WWE star Brock Lesnar and make read news >>

Former Strikeforce champion King Muhammed Lawal sat down with Submission radio to speculate about Brock Lesnar potentially joining him on the Bellator MMA roster, and why it would benefit the sport. read news >>

With all Brock Lesnar's done for MMA, I suppose it's only fair to send a few back the other way. UFC middleweight to light heavyweight tweeners Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva won't be fighting each read news >>

WWE star CM Punk has done an admirable job sidestepping professional wrestling questions since he signed with the UFC in December. Grilled over his past in nearly every media appearance done to promo read news >>

CM Punk spoke about his UFC debut, getting advice from Brock Lesnar, and the similarities between Pro Wrestling and Mixed Martial Arts. In an interview with WISports, CM Punk spoke about various thin read news >>

Long before they ever set foot in the UFC, CM Punk and Brock Lesnar were World Wrestling Entertainment superstars. Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, is in the process of making the same transitio read news >>

Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett is ready to end an Octagon hiatus that is well into its 14th month. And if things broke the right way, there's one specific fight he wouldn't mind targeti read news >>

That said, "The Warmaster" would like to face Lesnar because there is real interest in a fight between two pro wrestlers and it's good for business. Aside from calling out Michael Bisping, it seems c read news >>