Shane Carwin Quickly Accepts Opportunity to Put Himself Back in Contention

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

It is sometimes odd how the winds of change alter life.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar felt the cold wisp of the wind on Thursday as he had to drop out of his proposed number one contenders bout with Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June. Lesnar is again battling diverticulitis.

He’ll have some tough medical decisions to make in the coming days, weeks, and months, but he has declared he’s not giving in without a fight, and plans to one day return to the Octagon.

Stepping in for him at UFC 131 in Vancouver is former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.

“Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” Carwin wrote on his web site on Thursday. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title.  I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

Jason Genet, Carwin’s manager, told MMAWeekly.com that, just as it would have been for Lesnar, a win by Carwin will earn him a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Carwin has had to undergo his own battle, although not life threatening like Lesnar’s, dealing with a problem called lactic acidosis. It’s a condition that caused his body to basically start to shut down during his fight with Lesnar at UFC 116 last summer.

Carwin has been working for months to make sure the problem doesn’t recur, and believes he has it under control. He was already on the card for UFC 131, expecting to take on Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo.

UFC president Dana White said on Thursday that they haven’t yet addressed a new opponent for Einemo.

“My manager said, ‘This is where you belong,’” Carwin wrote, “and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.”

“I hope Brock is able to recover,” he added. “I look forward to facing him again one day.”

(Additional reporting by Damon Martin)

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

No wonder Anthony Johnson wants to fight him. It's easy to understand why a fighter like Luke Rockhold can't get past his knockout loss to Vitor Belfort, but I still can't figure out why Alistair Ove read news >>

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is still convinced he will get to one day rematch Brock Lesnar in the UFC octagon. Although Alistair Overeem's main focus is working his way to championship gold in t read news >>

Evidently, Alistair Overeem puts little stock in the current hierarchy of the UFC's heavyweight division. In a peculiar interview with Sportskeeda, Overeem, the UFC's seventh-ranked heavyweight, soun read news >>

But only if the circumstances were a "no-brainer." After losing to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141 back in 2011, thanks to a well-placed liver kick, Brock Lesnar walked away from mixed martial arts (MMA) read news >>

Paul Heyman, Brock Lesnar's manager, says that the former UFC champion finally has a clean bill of health, and would consider a UFC return "if a change of circumstance happens". Paul Heyman, a long t read news >>

Only one way to find out for sure. It seems WWE manager Paul Heyman is making the media rounds ahead of this weekend's SummerSlam wrasslin' pay-per-view (PPV) and since Brock Lesnar is in the main ev read news >>

Brock Lesnar just doesn't go away in the world of MMA, and UFC heavyweight Josh "The Warmaster" Barnett is always ready to talk. Put them together and some fun soundbites emerge. Recently, WWE manage read news >>

Few had the privilege of witnessing the extraordinary rise and fall of Brock Lesnar firsthand in the UFC. One of the lucky few, Paul Heyman—a longtime friend and manager of Lesnar—claims the former U read news >>

Aside from maybe Brock Lesnar's physician, WWE performer Paul Heyman likely knows the former UFC heavyweight champion better than anyone. Retired from MMA and back to professional wrestling, Lesnar i read news >>