Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

It is sometimes odd how the winds of change alter life.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar felt the cold wisp of the wind on Thursday as he had to drop out of his proposed number one contenders bout with Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June. Lesnar is again battling diverticulitis.

He’ll have some tough medical decisions to make in the coming days, weeks, and months, but he has declared he’s not giving in without a fight, and plans to one day return to the Octagon.

Stepping in for him at UFC 131 in Vancouver is former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.

“Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” Carwin wrote on his web site on Thursday. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title.  I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

Jason Genet, Carwin’s manager, told MMAWeekly.com that, just as it would have been for Lesnar, a win by Carwin will earn him a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Carwin has had to undergo his own battle, although not life threatening like Lesnar’s, dealing with a problem called lactic acidosis. It’s a condition that caused his body to basically start to shut down during his fight with Lesnar at UFC 116 last summer.

Carwin has been working for months to make sure the problem doesn’t recur, and believes he has it under control. He was already on the card for UFC 131, expecting to take on Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo.

UFC president Dana White said on Thursday that they haven’t yet addressed a new opponent for Einemo.

“My manager said, ‘This is where you belong,’” Carwin wrote, “and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.”

“I hope Brock is able to recover,” he added. “I look forward to facing him again one day.”

(Additional reporting by Damon Martin)

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Paige VanZant Shot Down WWE and Movie Role for UFC Return

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant shot down WWE opportunity and a major movie role to fight Bec Rawlings. read news >>

Mark Hunt UFC 200 Scrum Video: You Can’t Really Knock Brock Lesnar’s Accomplishments

Mark Hunt talks about his UFC 200 fight with Brock Lesnar, the former UFC champion's special drug testing exemption, and what the bout means for him. read news >>

Injury Forces Michael Chiesa Out of UFC South Dakota Main Event

An injury has forced Michael Chiesa out of his UFC Fight Night 91 headlining bout opposite Tony Ferguson. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Returns to UFC: The Defining Moments of His MMA Career to Date

Brock Lesnar is a large man, in multiple ways. Granted, none of his other largenesses happen without his physical largeness, but even so he looms over both pro wrestling and MMA as a bona fide supers read news >>

McDonald vs. Lineker Elevated to UFC Fight Night 91 Main Event

With Michael Chiesa forced out of the UFC Fight Night 91 main event, the originally scheduled co-main event between Michael McDonald and John Lineker will now headline the fight card. read news >>

#TBT: Georges St-Pierre After UFC 100 – I Pulled My Abductor!

As UFC 200 quickly approaches, take a look back at former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre following the promotion's centennial show, UFC 100. read news >>

Listen Live to the UFC 200 Media Call: Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt

Listen in LIVE on the UFC 200 media conference call with Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt Thursday, June 30, at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET. read news >>

UFC 200 Media Call Replay: Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt

On Thursday, UFC 200's biggest hitters – Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar, and Mark Hunt – fielded questions from the media. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Responds to PEDs Accusations: I’m a White Boy and Jacked, Deal With It

No matter what you, Mark Hunt, or anyone else thinks about Brock Lesnar, he doesn't really care. "I’m a white boy and I’m jacked, deal with it." read news >>

Brock Lesnar Comments on Steroid Allegations, WWE and More

Brock Lesnar is slated to make his return to the Octagon at UFC 200 in a July 9 bout against Mark Hunt, but he has been faced with steroid allegations of late from Hunt himself. Lesnar did his best t read news >>