Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

Shane Carwin at the Grudge Training Center

It is sometimes odd how the winds of change alter life.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar felt the cold wisp of the wind on Thursday as he had to drop out of his proposed number one contenders bout with Junior dos Santos at UFC 131 in June. Lesnar is again battling diverticulitis.

He’ll have some tough medical decisions to make in the coming days, weeks, and months, but he has declared he’s not giving in without a fight, and plans to one day return to the Octagon.

Stepping in for him at UFC 131 in Vancouver is former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.

“Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” Carwin wrote on his web site on Thursday. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title.  I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

Jason Genet, Carwin’s manager, told MMAWeekly.com that, just as it would have been for Lesnar, a win by Carwin will earn him a shot at current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Carwin has had to undergo his own battle, although not life threatening like Lesnar’s, dealing with a problem called lactic acidosis. It’s a condition that caused his body to basically start to shut down during his fight with Lesnar at UFC 116 last summer.

Carwin has been working for months to make sure the problem doesn’t recur, and believes he has it under control. He was already on the card for UFC 131, expecting to take on Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo.

UFC president Dana White said on Thursday that they haven’t yet addressed a new opponent for Einemo.

“My manager said, ‘This is where you belong,’” Carwin wrote, “and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.”

“I hope Brock is able to recover,” he added. “I look forward to facing him again one day.”

(Additional reporting by Damon Martin)

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Ken Pishna is the managing editor of MMAWeekly.com.
@KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator Confirms Hit-and-Run Incident that Cost Jordan Parson’s His Leg

Bellator confirms hit-and-run incident that reportedly forced the amputation of part of Jordan Parsons' right leg. read news >>

Hot Tweets: Conor McGregor Blasts Nate Diaz, UFC 200, and Brock Lesnar

Conor McGregor held court on Twitter on Monday, blasting everything from Nate Diaz to UFC 200 to Brock Lesnar. read news >>

Conor McGregor Blows Up Twitter Talking Nate Diaz, Brock Lesnar, Being PPV King

Conor McGregor shook up the sports world two weeks back when he suddenly declared that he had decided to "retire young." In the time since, that story has evolved into one of a major backstage power read news >>

Marloes Coenen Gets New Bellator 155 Opponent, Faces Alexis Dufresne in Non-Title Fight

An injury has forced Julia Budd to withdraw from her inaugural Bellator women’s featherweight championship bout against Marloes Coenen at Bellator 155. read news >>

Pride Vet Sergei Kharitonov Forced Out of Bellator Debut

The hits just keep on coming for Bellator 154, as veteran Pride heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov has been forced out of his promotional debut. read news >>

Anderson Silva Forced Out of UFC 198, May Require Surgery

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been forced to pull out of his UFC 198 bout with Uriah Hall. read news >>

Michael Chandler Will Battle Patricky Pitbull for Vacant Bellator Lightweight Title

Following the release of former lightweight champion Will Brooks, Bellator officials quickly followed up with an announcement to fill the vacancy. read news >>

Anderson Silva is Recovering from Surgery, Posts Photo of the Aftermath

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva revealed a photo of the aftermath of the gallbladder surgery that forced him out of UFC 198. read news >>

Michael Bisping on finally getting his title shot: 'I believe this is my destiny' (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Bisping is quickly closing in on UFC history. So why doesn't he get much respect in the sport? read news >>