From everything UFC president Dana White has said so far, The Ultimate Fighter 16 will be one of the most interesting installments of the reality show produced.

The reports have slowly leaked, as the show comes closer to its debut date on Sept. 14, that tensions ran high between coaches Shane Carwin and Roy Nelson, as well as between Roy Nelson and Dana White himself.

There’s definitely no love lost between Carwin and Nelson, who have quietly jabbed at each other in the past through the press and through social networking sites like Twitter.

Now as they head into the show, Carwin admits there’s always been an uneasy tension between he and Nelson, and he’s sure it’s going to come into play.

“I think we hold ourselves as two different people,” Carwin told MMAWeekly Radio. “Roy’s a great fighter, don’t get me wrong, very talented; could he be more talented? I think so. If he took things more serious.”

Carwin’s view on Nelson is apparently shared by White, who has spoken out on numerous occasions about Nelson’s weight and appearance as he heads into fights.

“Listen, he’s a tough guy with a ton of heart. He goes in there and he gives it his everything. My thing is, I’ve always said to him, I’d love to see you take this thing seriously and rip off some weight,” said White in March of this year. “When you’ve got a chin like that and a heart like that, you can’t deny the guy’s got a great chin, a ton of heart and he can knock people out. If he really could get to 205, he’d be a force at 205. He’d be a scary dude. He’s got great wrestling, awesome submissions, great chin, a ton of heart, and has knockout power.

“Who knows what Roy Nelson could really achieve if he applied himself.”

Carwin also believes that Nelson’s approach of being the “every man” in terms of not walking around with six-pack abs and ripped muscles is essentially not telling the whole story in terms of how he relates to who is actually the “average man” in America.

“I think the other tension is that I am this average guy and I’ve worked my ass off to get to where I’m at. I started working when I was 15. My mom raised three boys on her own and we were very poor. I grew up working construction and concrete work and threw boxes at the beef plant. I did everything just to try to survive,” Carwin stated.

“He plays this like he’s this average guy and, honestly, I don’t think the guy’s ever had a normal job.”

While Carwin’s forte has never been to trash talk or verbally go after an opponent before a fight, spending six weeks with Roy Nelson might change his approach a bit. Carwin readily admits he’s as fierce as any fighter in the world when it comes to competition, and he might just end up showing a new level of fire when facing off with Nelson on The Ultimate Fighter.

“When it comes to competing, I’m overly competitive and that’s my goal,” said Carwin.

“The whole point of the show for me is these fighters. The guys that end up on my team, I’m going to try to show them a professional route, becoming the best that they can be, not only in fighting but in life. That’s my goal to show these guys.”

For more news and rumors follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Dana White Explains Frank Fertitta's Reaction to Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White has lifted the lid on Frank Fertitta's attention-grabbing reaction to Conor McGregor's 13-second knockout victory over Jose Aldo at UFC 194 in Dece read news >>

Bodycam footage: UFC fighter Julianna Pena drunkenly explains self before arrest

Bodycam footage released by the Spokane City (Wash.) Police Department captured “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner Julianna Pena’s rough night after getting booted out of a bar.Filed under: Featured Vi read news >>

Augusto 'Tanquinho' explains how Sunday's short-notice UFC bout quickly fell apart

This past week has been a whirlwind for Augusto Mendes – “a crazy last days,” as “Tanquinho” put it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dominick Cruz Explains Why T.J. Dillashaw Title Fight Will Be ‘Interesting’ (Video)

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz talks about his upcoming UFC Fight Night 81 title fight against champion T.J. Dillashaw and thinks it's an interesting match-up. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81’s Paul Felder explains reason for post-fight emotion

BOSTON – If there were any time you might understand why Paul Felder wasn’t his sharpest in the cage, it would be at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Explains Why Conor McGregor Gets Opportunity to Hold Two UFC Titles

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor is chasing history. He could become the only fighter ever to hold two titles at the same time when he faces lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos. read news >>

Tarec Saffiedine explains move to Tristar Gym ahead of UFC on FOX 18 win

Tarec Saffiedine had a five-fight winning streak snapped when he lost to Rory MacDonald at UFC Fight Night 54. Something needed to change for the 29-year-old.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: UFC Fight Night 82 media day face-offs, including many strange Roy Nelson faces

LAS VEGAS – Check out all the face-offs from today’s UFC Fight Night 82 media day, which include the card’s top fighters and two men trying to make a case to be the one to welcome Phil “CM Punk” Broo read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82’s Roy Nelson: The Roy Nelson experience is the UFC experience

How long can UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson keep trucking? A while longer, from the sound of it. The way Nelson sees things, there’s job security in the skill set he possesses.Filed under: Featured Video read news >>

Road warrior Nelson eager to get back on track at home

UFC's road warrior Roy Nelson finally returns to USA, and he's hoping to kickstart his title hopes back home in Las Vegas. read news >>