By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Lawler vs. Woodley Results: Winner and Knockout Reaction from UFC 201

The ruthless reign of Robbie Lawler as the UFC welterweight champion was brought to a halt at UFC 201 with Tyron Woodley winning via first-round technical knockout. And all it took was one massive ri read news >>

Rose Namajunas vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz: Results and Reaction from UFC 201

The UFC 201 co-main event was the Rose Namajunas show. The 24-year-old has been one of the most intriguing fighters at 115 pounds since her flying armbar submission of Kathina Catron at Invicta FC 5 read news >>

Matt Brown vs. Jake Ellenberger: Results and Reaction from UFC 201

Wow. Anyone else need a cigarette after that? No one would blame you if you did. Welterweight action fighters Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger brought some thunder to Atlanta at UFC 201, with Ellenber read news >>

Video: Dana White Gives His Immediate Reaction, Breaks Down UFC 201

Dana White gave his immediate reaction to UFC 201, a card that saw Tyron Woodley take out Robbie Lawler in the first round to win the 170-pound title. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Announced: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Rafael Dos Anjos will face Tony Ferguson in a five-round lightweight clash in the headline bout of the UFC's event at Mexico City's Arena Ciudad de Mexico on Saturday, November 5. UFC Europe relayed read news >>

Conor McGregor Discusses Joao Carvalho Death, Nate Diaz Rematch at UFC 202, More

UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor has spoken about the death of fighter Joao Carvalho, who lost his life after a fight on April 9 in Dublin, and has insisted he's doing everything possible to read news >>

Yair Rodriguez vs. Alex Caceres: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 92

Salt Lake City was treated to a special featherweight showcase for the UFC Fight Night 92 main event. Rising star Yair Rodriguez (8-1) defeated Alex Caceres (12-9, 1 NC) by split decision (46-49, 48- read news >>

Injuries Force Changes to Brasilia Card

Injuries have forced some changes to the UFC Fight Night card in Brasilia, Brazil on September 24. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

Ricardo Lamas vs. BJ Penn Announced for UFC Manila: Latest Details and Reaction

Ricardo Lamas will face BJ Penn in UFC Manila's headline fight, the UFC announced on Monday. UFC Asia tweeted the news: The featherweights will step into the Octagon on Saturday, October 15. More to read news >>