By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Jedrzejczyk vs. Letourneau Results: Winner, Scorecard, Reaction from UFC 193

Joanna Jedrzejczyk had a great opportunity to gain some recognition as a co-headliner at UFC 193, and she did just that Saturday. The UFC women's strawweight champion successfully defended her belt a read news >>

Rousey vs. Holm Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from Knockout at UFC 193

UFC 193 was supposed to be another celebration of Ronda Rousey's dominance. Instead, Holly Holm flipped the script and made it a historic night. She won the UFC women's bantamweight title with a seco read news >>

'Cro Cop' maintains retirement was due to injuries, admits to using growth hormone

Mirko Filipovic had the dubious honor of becoming the first UFC fighter to be flagged for a potential U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) violation, but the MMA legend is maintaining the situation is a b read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 22' blog: James Jenkins on episode No. 8

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 22” cast member James Jenkins discusses the season’s eighth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Kevin Souza wants a top-five opponent with win

UFC featherweight Kevin Souza said injuries have hampered his career, but he’s still managed to win three straight in the UFC’s octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

Glory Kickboxing 25 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Milan

In my Kanye West voice: Robin van Roosmalen is a good fighter, but Sittichai Sitsongpeenong deserved to win the Glory lightweight title Friday in Milan. I hate to bring up old pop-culture events, but read news >>

'The Ultimate Fighter 22' blog: James Jenkins on episode No. 7

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 22” cast member James Jenkins discusses the season’s seventh episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Uninterrupted: Ronda Rousey Discusses Her Day in Australia

Ronda Rousey discusses her daily preparation, leading up to her fight on November 14 in Australia. Uninterrupted is a platform that allows personalities to connect with fans on a much deeper level, w read news >>

Daniel Cormier, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) signed an eight-fight contract with the organization Monday. According to Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie, Cormier met with the UFC and read news >>