By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Brock Lesnar Will Fight at UFC 200: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Brock Lesnar last stepped into the Octagon in December 2011, but the former UFC heavyweight champion is ready to resume his MMA career. The UFC announced Lesnar has agreed to return for a fight at UF read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

Dan Henderson (32-14) is known for his “H-Bomb” of a right hand, but at UFC 199 he brought out the “H-Bow” against Hector Lombard (34-6-1, 2 NC). The two veteran middleweights went toe-to-toe in one read news >>

Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

The third time was not the charm for Urijah Faber. Dominick Cruz defeated Faber by unanimous decision in their third bout to retain his UFC Bantamweight championship on Saturday at UFC 199 in Los Ang read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

Flashback: Go back to Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin

As you await Brock Lesnar's Octagon return at UFC 200, go back and re-live his amazing fight against Shane Carwin at UFC 116. read news >>

Coming Off Long Layoff, Bellator’s John Salter Set to Show He’s Still High-Level

Having dealt with numerous injuries over the past few years, UFC veteran John Salter is ready to show that he should be in the Bellator title mix. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Ottawa Video: Rory MacDonald – Warrior Code

UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald discusses what fuels the fight addiction he's had since childhood. Hint: It's not trash talk. read news >>