By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Two changes to Phoenix fight card

Injuries have forced a pair of changes to the Jan. 15 UFC Fight Night card in Phoenix, the promotion announced today. read news >>

Nunes vs. Rousey Results: Winner and Knockout Reaction from UFC 207

UFC 207 was marketed as the glorious return of Ronda Rousey, but it didn't turn out to be a warm welcome back to the sport for The Rowdy One. Instead, Amanda Nunes successfully defended her belt agai read news >>

Brock Lesnar Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Doping: Latest Details and Reaction

Brock Lesnar's brief return to the UFC last July has cost him once again, as the former heavyweight champion has been suspended for one year by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). Per Marc read news >>

Yair Rodriguez vs. B.J. Penn Results: Winner, Reaction from UFC Fight Night 103

“The Prodigy” never had a shot. Yair Rodriguez entered as one of the shining future stars for the UFC, and he performed up to that billing. B.J. Penn was ousted without much trouble. Rodriguez’s spee read news >>

How did UFC champ Dominick Cruz roar back from injuries? First, he had to admit he might be done

Dominick Cruz used to think that he couldn’t even let himself think that injuries might derail his career. Then he grew up and learned to stop lying to himself, which has made him a better fighter an read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Calls for 'Advanced Drug Testing' Before TJ Dillashaw Fight (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champ Cody Garbrandt discusses his win over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207 and coaching on The Ultimate Fighter against TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Dominick Cruz vs. Cody Garbrandt Results: Winner, Reaction from UFC 207

At UFC 207, Cody Garbrandt not only talked the talk, but he walked the walk to the tune of a unanimous-decision win over Dominick Cruz in the co-main event to become the new champion of the UFC's ban read news >>

TJ Dillashaw vs. John Lineker Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 207

In another time, another life, UFC 207's TJ Dillashaw and John Lineker would've already had a title shot off their current runs. As bantamweight champion, Dillashaw began sniffing around the No. 1 po read news >>

Twitter reacts to Amanda Nunes' 48-second starching of Ronda Rousey at UFC 207

Amanda Nunes said it was her time to reign atop the UFC women’s bantamweight division. She proved as much Friday with her first title defense against MMA superstar Ronda Rousey in the UFC 207 headlin read news >>