By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Michael Johnson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Khabib Nurmagomedov had everything on the line at Saturday's UFC 205. Dominance and bad luck have defined the Russian grappler's career. Catastrophic injuries have consistently weighed down big wins, read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

It has been a roller coaster of a year for Miesha Tate. She bought her 2016 calendar with UFC President Dana White actively encouraging her to retire. She surprisingly received a title shot a few mon read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz Results: UFC 205 Winner, Reaction

Joanna Jedrzejczyk can't be stopped. Following three consecutive strawweight title defenses, the 29-year-old defeated Polish compatriot Karolina Kowalkiewicz by unanimous decision Saturday night at U read news >>

Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Tyron Woodley isn't giving up the welterweight belt anytime soon. After The Chosen One secured the strap with a first-round knockout of Robbie Lawler in July, the 34-year-old defended his status as t read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Well it looks as though we have ourselves a top contender for the middleweight title. With Luke Rockhold hurt and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in some weird, paid-to-cut-weight-but-not-actually-fighting-th read news >>

Alvarez vs. McGregor Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

It's only right that the man nicknamed The Notorious capped off UFC's inaugural showcase at Madison Square Garden in New York with a win over Eddie Alvarez on Saturday night. Conor McGregor—who enter read news >>

"Honest" Mousasi on fire & ready to avenge loss to Hall

Gegard Mousasi discusses his recent decisions to speak out more in the media and his plan of taking out Uriah Hall in the main event at Fight Night Belfast. read news >>

Injuries Force Changes to Two December UFC Fight Cards | MMAWeekly.com

In addition to the UFC 206 main event shake-up, Injuries have also forced changes to two otherDecember UFC fight cards. read news >>