Shane Carwin Discusses Injuries and Post Fight Reaction Following UFC 131

• submit to reddit

By the 3rd round of his UFC 131 main event fight against Junior Dos Santos, former interim champion Shane Carwin had little to no vision in his eye, but he surely wasn’t lacking heart.

The powerful Colorado fighter suffered a broken nose and had blood in his eyes, but still felt in his bones that if he landed one good shot, he could put Dos Santos away and still win the fight.

“After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued,” Carwin wrote on his personal blog on Monday.

“When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.”

According to Carwin’s manager Jason Genet of Ingrained Media speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Monday, the former champion likely suffered a broken nose and possible a fractured cheek bone or orbital as well, but won’t know for sure for a few days because the swelling on his face is too much to allow an accurate CT scan to take place.

Regardless of the injuries, Carwin showed tremendous heart and determination to stick in the fight with Dos Santos for all three rounds, fighting with little vision or even the clear ability to breathe.

Carwin has flown home to Colorado where he’ll rest and recover and wait for the final word from his doctors as to the severity of his injuries.

Down but never out, Carwin promised to get back in the cage and compete again as he looks to work his way back to the top of the heavyweight division.

“My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division,” Carwin said.

“Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.”

Once Carwin’s medical status is updated it will be made more clear how long he’ll be out of action and then able to return to training and prepare for a return to the UFC.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The main event between Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown won 'Fight of the Night' honours, while Anthony Johnson and Dennis Bermudez won performance bonuses for their efforts. In the main event of the evening, Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown lived up to the lofty expectations placed on them and produced an entertaining five-round battle that culminated in a unanimous decision victory for Robbie Lawler. Both fighters had their moments during the contest but it was ultimately Lawler who was the more techn read news >>

The fantastic main event title fight between Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida won ‘Fight of the Night’ honours while Ronda Rousey and Rob Font won performance bonuses. Although UFC 175 looked underwhelming on paper, the evening churned out a variety of entertaining battles and impressive stoppages, many of which warranted the $50, 000 bonus. Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida took part in a fascinating five round thriller that featured a back-and-forth competitive affair to send the crowd home happy read news >>

The main event of tonight's (Wed., July 16, 2014) UFC Fight Night 45: "Cerrone vs. Miller" event in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Fox Sports 1 will feature two established contenders at 155 pounds, Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller throwing hands. Is the winner the next top contender? read news >>

Set to face off in the main event of tonight's (Wed., July 16, 2014) UFC Fight Night 45 from Atlantic City, Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller have a golden opportunity to rise to the top of the talented UFC lightweight division. How can each proven finisher pick up the huge win? Read our main event preview to find out! Tonight (July 16, 2014) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweights Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller will square off in the main event of UFC Fight Night 45, airing live at 9 p.m. read news >>

A raucous, partisan crowd in Dublin, Ireland welcomed Conor McGregor to his first UFC main event, but would it be a successful one? The UFC's first trip to Ireland was headlined by countryman and local superstar Conor McGregor against TUF 14 winner Diego Brandao. Fireworks were expected, a supremely loud crowd was on hand to witness this big featherweight fight at the O2 Arena in Dublin. In a wild first 30 seconds, both men showed off their striking creativity as they flashed spinning kicks and read news >>

UFC 176's main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The rematch you've been dying to see is now reality, as Antonio Silva once again tangles with Andrei Arlovski this fall in Brasilia. Your eyes aren't deceiving you - Andrei Arlovski is a UFC main event fighter in 2014. To expand further, Arlovski will face Antonio Silva in a five-round fight on September 13th in the Brazilians capital of Brasilia. MMA Fighting confirmed the news first that was first reported by Combate. The main card will air live on Fox Sports 1. Silva (18-5, 1 NC) is coming of read news >>

Rarely do you see a fighter beat one of the best middleweights in UFC history yet have unanswered questions. Such is the life of Chris Weidman. UFC 175 is his first fight in the Octagon since his knockout of Anderson Silva and subsequent technical knockout in the rematch. With both fights, some critics argued that Weidman got lucky. In the first one, Silva really didn't care and was more interested in trolling the crowd. In the rematch, his leg basically exploded. Both of those critiques might h read news >>

Arguably UFC's best main event of 2014—Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida—is perhaps the one fans will most likely skip over. But this is what happens when Dana White and his establishment go all out to make sure the Fourth of July weekend card is a memorable one. Call it mission accomplished. Stefan Struve is on the comeback trail after a heart condition nearly ended his career. Uriah Hall is in a controversial slot and on the hunt to prove he isn't a bust. Marcus Brimage is back to slugging away read news >>