Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Efrain Escudero has newfound confidence – and a hashtag to go with it

MONTERREY, Mexico – Efrain Escudero is riding a two-fight winning streak in the UFC for the first time since 2009. “The Ultimate Fighter 8” winner credits his octagon resurgence to an overhaul in the read news >>

UFC's Jessica Aguilar discusses injury prior to Claudia Gadelha loss

Entering the UFC riding a 10-fight winning streak and in the conversation of best strawweights on the planet, Jessica Aguilar had a lot to live up to in her octagon debut.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77's Jimmie Rivera is a teacher first, fighter second

Jimmie Rivera is on a 16-fight winning streak and made his UFC debut with a sub-90 second knockout win att UFC Fight Night 72. You might expect that fighting is his overwhelming passion with that lev read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 post-fight facts: Almeida's winning streak hits 20, KO record and more

The UFC's final stop in Brazil this year was a good one. Eight of 13 fights ended in a stoppage and multiple UFC record were set or tied. [autotag]Vitor Belfort[/autotag] (25-11 MMA, 14-7 UFC) scored read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Nov. 10: Thomas Almeida jumps up the rankings

After running his winning streak to 20 with a UFC Fight Night 77 knockout of Anthony Birchak, undefeated Thomas Almeida has jumped up two spots in the latest NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings.Filed under read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Holly Holm and UFC 193’s other winning fighters?

With UFC 193 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 193’s winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke: Winning a ONE Championship Title Changed His Life

In Thailand, there is enormous pressure on children who aren’t fortunate enough to come from wealthy families. Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke knows all about this. read news >>

What really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77: Almeida's bonuses, 'Cowboy,' Rivera's streak

If you missed this past weekend’s event, check out what really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 77, fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>