Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

UFC on FOX 15 winner Beneil Dariush leaves 'the entertainment stuff' to the UFC

Beneil Dariush ran his winning streak to four with his unanimous decision victory over Jim Miller at UFC on FOX 15. The win over Miller was arguably the biggest of the 25-year-old’s young career.File read news >>

The MMA Hour - 279 - Tim Means

me Tim Means talks about his latest winning streak and fighting Matt Brown at UFC 189. read news >>

Bisping Focused on Dollaway but More Than Happy to Shut Jacare Up

Michael Bisping has never been one to shy away from confrontation. The brash Brit has made a career out of talking the talk in the lead up to fight night then backing up the bantering when the cage d read news >>

UFC on FOX 15 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 15 event, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.Filed und read news >>

Paige VanZant promises growth 'every single fight' after dominating Felice Herrig

UFC women's strawweight contender Paige VanZant is riding high after her dominating unanimous decision victory over Felice Herrig at Saturday's UFC on FOX 15. This happened, however, despite the argu read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What next for UFC on FOX 15's winning fighters?

With UFC on FOX 15 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the card’s winning fighters.Filed under: Featured read news >>

UFC on FOX 15's Max Holloway credits new striking emphasis for five-fight streak

NEW YORK – When Max Holloway lost to Conor McGregor 20 months ago, it was the first two-fight skid of his career. He hasn’t looked back, with five straight wins, and he said he owes the surge to an e read news >>

Hindsight - UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2 in retrospect

Nobody's winning. One side is just losing slower than the other.* Sometimes it really does feel that way in MMA. The result may end on a win or a loss for one man or another, but the number of fans l read news >>

UFC Fight Night 64 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 64 event in Krakow, Poland, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out th read news >>