Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Timothy Johnson vs. Jared Rosholt added to UFC Fight Night 74

Timothy Johnson will look to run his winning streak to nine when he takes on Jared Rosholt August 8 in Nashville, Tenn.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 188 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 188 event in Mexico City, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions. read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for UFC 188's winning fighters?

With UFC 188 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

'UFC 188 Embedded,' No. 6: Riding roller coasters with Fabricio Werdum

It’s fight week, which brings “UFC 188 Embedded” and a preview of tonight’s pay-per-view event. In the latest episode, Fabricio Werdum rides roller coasters, Eddie Alvarez Periscopes and everyone but read news >>

Amid UFC Return Talk, Chuck O'Neil Solely Focused on Defending CES Title

Chuck O’Neil’s hips don’t lie. The CES welterweight champ is enjoying life as a vastly improved fighter and an overall better version of himself. No, this isn’t the same O’Neil you remember from The read news >>

Neil Magny vs. Demian Maia set for UFC 190 in Brazil

Neil Magny will look to extend his impressive seven-fight octagon winning streak when he meets Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia at UFC 190.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zorobabel Moreira determined to get back to winning ways at ONE: 'Dynasty of Champions'

Zorobabel Moreira was one of the most popular fighters to emerge during ONE Championship's early years (when it was known as ONE FC). He was featured on four of the first six cards and it was a major read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

Interview: UFC Fight Night 68's Matt Mitrione out for bonus-winning victory over Ben Rothwell tonight ... and beers

Former football player Matt Mitrione is rocketing up UFC's Heavyweight ladder. Find out what "Meathead" had to say prior to his heavyweight showdown with one-time IFL competitor "Big" Ben Rothwell at read news >>

UFC New Orleans Video: Dustin Poirier Goes Back to His Beginnings

Dustin Poirier tells us why he's so excited to be fighting in his home state of Louisiana and what his home state means to him. read news >>