Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Raquel Pennington: ‘The Best Rocky is Yet to Come’

Raquel Pennington is riding a two-fight winning streak after defeating Bethe Correia at UFC on FOX 19 and believes that she's just getting started. read news >>

UFC Zagreb Free Fight: Ben Rothwell Submits Matt Mitrione with Gogo Choke

Ben Rothwell rides a four-fight winning streak into his fight with Junior Dos Santos. Rothwell has finished all of those fights, including this Matt Mitrione sub. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 post-fight facts: Insane winning streak for Nurmagomedov stays alive

Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 card was ravaged by injuries and fight changes. However, the FOX-televised card in Tampa, Fla., produced some eventful outcomes. Check out all the post-fight facts.Filed unde read news >>

Cub Swanson needed to feel the nerves to pick up UFC on FOX 19 victory

After an impressive six-fight winning streak in the UFC brought him to the edge of title contention, Cub Swanson hit a two-fight losing skid and, he said, began to contemplate retirement.Filed under: read news >>

Rashad Evans: ‘I’m Riding a Real Low Right Now’

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans discusses his knockout loss to Glover Teixeira and the disappointment of losing back-to-back fights. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Against Phil Davis, Bellator 154's 'King Mo' focused on 'performance,' not 'taste'

All Muhammad Lawal wants right now is the chance to finish what he started on Sept. 19, 2015.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Former Olympian Henry Cejudo has eyes set on winning more gold (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The gold medalist will get his shot at the UFC flyweight championship on Saturday night against Demetrious Johnson. read news >>

Former Olympian Henry Cejudo has eyes set on winning more gold (Yahoo Sports)

UFC Fight Night 86 pre-fight facts: Ben Rothwell out to extend stoppage streak

Croatia finally sees its first UFC event on Sunday when the octagon touches down in Zagreb for UFC Fight Night 86. Check out all the pre-fight facts.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>