Shah BobonisAfter a seesaw start to his career, Shah Bobonis has managed to pull things together and is currently riding a five-fight winning streak.

Bobonis credits his newfound stability to the fact that he’s been able to focus more on fighting after trying to balance it along with a regular career.

“Before the last few years I was trying to work full-time and fight and it was tough,” he said. “Once I made the commitment to fight full-time and now that I’m just fighting it’s made the difference.

“When I was hovering around .500 or just above it, I was fighting when I could around my work schedule and things like that because I loved to compete. When my coaches sat me down and said that I should think about doing this seriously and see how good I could be, I made the decision and it’s worked out so far.”

By dedicating himself to MMA, Bobonis was able to complement his already solid striking with an improving jiu-jitsu game and a wrestling regimen that integrates it more into fighting rather than being a standalone skill.

“About two years ago, I made a commitment to start training with Division-1 wrestlers who also do MMA and I feel my wrestling for MMA is just maybe a notch below my striking, but very, very good,” he said. “I also went out to Alliance and picked up from things from Dominick Cruz. He said he doesn’t have the wrestling credentials of some of the people he fights, but he takes them down at will because his wrestling for MMA is better than theirs.”

Bobonis will get an opportunity to keep his winning streak going on Friday night in Knoxville, Tenn. as he takes on Cornelius Godfrey at XFC 20 live on AXS TV.

“He hasn’t really been a pro that long, but I think he’s going to be good eventually, and at 6-0 I’m sure he thinks he’s a world-beater, but I really feel I’m better than him at every aspect of the game,” said Bobonis. “He hasn’t fought anybody close to my level.

“I think he thinks he’ll have an advantage boxing, but I tend to disagree. I think he does well in MMA because he’s long for 135-pounder and most of the guys he’s fought aren’t very good strikers at all, so just the length gives them problems – that’s not really going to bother me at all. I think wherever the fight goes I’m going to be leaps and bounds better than him.”

Should Bobonis defeat Godfrey, he told MMAWeekly.com that his next goal is to establish himself as the best bantamweight in the XFC and have the promotion bring in top tier talent to challenge him.

“I already talked to (XFC president) John Prisco and he knows my plan,” said Bobonis. “I want a title as soon as possible and then I want him to sign the biggest free agents out there.

“I want to fight guys like Antonio Banuelos or (Hiroyuki) Takaya or (Katsunori) Imanari from Japan, guys like that are recognized internationally and beat them up so I’ll become recognized internationally. With the platform of AXS TV, it’s very feasible that something like that can happen.”

(Photo courtesy of XFC)

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

WSOF Champ Justin Gaethje Focused on the Fight and Only on the Fight | MMAWeekly.com

When it comes to MMA, there are few things in life that World Series of Fighting lightweight champion Justin Gaethje takes more seriously. read news >>

Unapologetic Rousey cares only about winning back title

Ronda Rousey is uninterested in anything not related to winning back the women's bantamweight title at UFC 207 Friday night against Amanda Nunes. Rousey plans to say everything inside the Octagon on read news >>

Ronda Rousey Doesn't Care About Anything but Winning at UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey says she's laser-focused on crushing Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207 and doesn't care about anything else, the money, the media, or her image. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

Mom: 'Average person' just can't understand how much winning means to Ronda Rousey

Every athlete deserves – and probably needs – a mom like Dr. AnnMaria De Mars.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Amanda Nunes, Cody Garbrandt and UFC 207's other winning fighters?

And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s winning fighters.F read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Fresh Off Tournament Win, Cro Cop Announces Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Just a few days removed from winning three fights in two days, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has announced plans to retire. read news >>

Report: MMA legend, Rizin FF tourney winner Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic retires again

Fresh off of winning the Rizin FF Grand Prix Open Weight 2016, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is apparently hanging up his gloves – again.Filed under: News read news >>