If there was one major question surrounding Tyrone Spong‘s impressive debut on Saturday night after knocking out 37-year old Travis Bartlett, it was why was Tyrone Spong actually fighting Travis Bartlett in the first place?

Bartlett’s 7-2 record heading into the fight seemed reasonable enough considering Spong was making his MMA debut. After only a few seconds into the bout however it was made abundantly clear that Spong was toying with and eventually did knock out the journeyman fighter.

Some have criticized the fight as mismatched despite Spong having no actual MMA experience (he did have over 100 kickboxing bouts however). In reality, any fighter with more than a 0-0 record in MMA would have been a likely candidate for Spong in his debut, but Bartlett was the man who accepted after seven other, more experience candidates said “no thanks” when approached with the offer to face the Dutch striker.

World Series of Fighting vice president and matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz confirmed with MMAWeekly.com that seven different opponents were approached and offered the fight with Spong, and all seven turned down the opportunity until Bartlett was the one who finally said yes.

One name that was confirmed among the list was former UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander, and Abdel-Aziz said several other recognizable names made up the list of fighters who didn’t want to be Spong’s first test inside the cage.

Alexander was coming off three losses in a row, with the last coming by way of decision in mid-September, so there’s no telling if he really wanted to take the chance of a fourth loss in a row with this one coming by way of a first time MMA competitor like Spong.

Whatever the reasons, Spong was not a popular fighter that many MMA competitors were jumping at the chance to face without knowing what to expect from the knockout artist from Holland.

Now at 1-0 in his career, will Spong still struggle to find opponents or will more names start popping up hoping to hand the former kickboxing champion his first loss?

Spong is expected to be a part of the next World Series of Fighting card in 2013, and MMAWeekly.com will have more details on his opponent when it becomes available.

Make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter for all your MMA news, rumors and updates

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

VIDEO: Michael Bisping Calls Out Luke Rockhold, Says He Turned Down Jacare

  • 23 days ago
  • 33 views

Michael Bisping, who eventually got the call, said his "source very close to the UFC" told him that Luke Rockhold turned down a fight with Jacare Souza. read news >>

UFC 199: 6 Takeaways From a Night The Forum

  • 21 days ago
  • 88 views

UFC 199 turned out to be a night of surprises. Dan Henderson isn't done, but Urijah Faber might be. Luke Rockhold is not the next Anderson Silva. And, yes, Brock Lesnar is back. read news >>

Outside the Octagon: Count Turned King

  • 19 days ago
  • 8 views

Michael Bisping achieved his lifelong dream last week at UFC 199 when he shocked the world and defeated Luke Rockhold for the UFC's middleweight title. read news >>

Heading into WSOF 31, Mike Ricci Feels His Experience is Finally Catching Up to His Ability

  • 17 days ago
  • 21 views

As he heads into a pivotal fight with Jason High at WSOF 31, Mike Ricci feels that his fight experience is finally catching up to his natural ability. read news >>

Josh Copeland Wants a Win at WSOF 31 and Many More Fights in 2016

  • 16 days ago
  • 6 views

Struggling to stay busy, Josh Copeland wants nothing more than a win at WSOF 31 and several more fights in 2016. read news >>

JUNE 17 — Jason High Looking to Finish Mike Ricci at WSOF 31

  • 15 days ago
  • 12 views

veteran lightweight Jason High is looking to finish his WSOF 31 opponent Mike Ricci when they meet on June 17 at Foxwoods Casino and Resort in Connecticut. read news >>

Mike Arrant Replaces Injured Thiago Meller, Faces John Howard at WSOF 31

  • 12 days ago
  • 6 views

World Series of Fighting announced today that Thiago Meller has withdrawn from his scheduled welterweight contest against John Howard, who will now face Mike Arrant at WSOF 31. read news >>

Devin Powell Looking to Prove His Place in the Sport at WSOF 31

  • 11 days ago
  • 3 views

Following his lone loss in 2013, lightweight prospect Devin Powell has managed to go on a four-fight winning streak, with finishes in three of his wins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 89 Bout Could Shape Futures of Steven Thompson, Rory MacDonald

  • 11 days ago
  • 23 views

There is certainly no shortage of intrigue surrounding Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 89 main event. For starters, the winner of this bout between Steven “Wonderboy” Thompson and Rory MacDonald would be read news >>

Michael Bisping Talks Dan Henderson, Georges St-Pierre Before UFC Title Defense

  • 11 days ago
  • 94 views

Michael Bisping is eyeing Dan Henderson and Georges St-Pierre as potential opponents after winning the UFC Middleweight championship at UFC 199, and he sounded off on the possible challengers Friday. read news >>