Sean Spencer - Legacy FC 13Nine fights into his career, welterweight up-and-comer Sean Spencer feels he’s right on track with where he should be. With an 8-1 record, it would be hard to argue the point.

“I’m very satisfied with my progression as a fighter,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

“And my fight performances have been good too. The last couple fights I had, I had the proper training. I had eight weeks to prepare, and the more time you have, the better your performances are. I’ve been healthy in every fight I’ve had, so I’m pleased with my performances.”

After building himself on the local level, Spencer had an opportunity to get some nationwide exposure in his last fight where he submitted Joseph Daily at Bellator 62 in March.

“Fighting in Bellator was huge for me,” said Spencer. “It was live on Spike.com and people were watching on MTV2 also, so it was a huge win against a good opponent.

“I came out, controlled the fight, only got hit a few times, and feel like it was the right time to be in Bellator and come away with a win.”

Spencer will get the chance to further expand his name as part of the co-main event at Legacy FC 13 in Dallas on Aug. 17 against fellow rising prospect Evan Cutts.

“Evan Cutts is a very worthy opponent,” said Spencer. “He’s good on the ground and his striking skills are pretty good too. The way I’m going to win this fight is a vicious KO, just like I try to do in all my fights.

“I am a mixed martial artist, and I can control the fight wherever I choose. If I choose to take it to the ground – with even as good his ground is – I feel I have the ability to win the ground attack as well. But the way I’m going to win this fight isn’t going to be a surprise to him; I want to keep it standing.”

Getting to be a co-main event on an event broadcast live on AXS TV could be a lot of pressure on a young fighter, but Spencer told MMAWeekly.com it’s not going to be that way for him.

“Even though fighting for Bellator and Legacy are big things, I just live in the moment and live the fight,” he said. “Not put too much pressure on myself, and not focus so much on where I’m fighting and just fight.

“Leading up to this fight, I’ve done my homework and I’m very confident about my abilities in this fight. I’m doing everything to do my job and get it done regardless.”

Keeping the pressure off himself will continue to be the name of the game for Spencer, win or lose.

“I don’t want to look too far ahead, but I do have goals I want to achieve,” he said. “I just want to take it one day at a time, one fight at a time.

“After this fight, I’m going to take a little vacation, go back home and visit my home and see my family, then come back to Texas and get ready for whether it be Legacy or whatever. I just want to be prepared for wherever I’m at.”

On the complicated feelings – and telling reactions – to Frankie Perez's surprise retirement

Frankie Person retired in the cage after his first UFC win at UFC Fight Night 74 in Saskatoon. That we don’t have to puzzle over why a victorious 26-year-old would opt to stop fighting, maybe that te read news >>

Legacy FC 46 slated for Oct. 2 with Steven Peterson vs. Irwin Rivera headliner

The lineup is set for October’s Legacy FC 46 event, and the smaller guys are taking the biggest spots on the card.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

What really mattered at UFC Fight Night 74: Scary injury, odd decision, surprise retirement

A scary injury in the main event, an odd split decision in the co-main event, and a surprise retirement further down on the card? Check out what really mattered at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 74 event.F read news >>

Frankie Perez on surprise retirement: 'Nothing can stop me from being happy'

SASKATOON – Frankie Perez swerved the MMA world at UFC Fight Night 74 when he retired from the sport after the most significant victory of his career. Hear him explain why he thought it was an easy d read news >>

One and Done, Frankie Perez KOs Sam Stout at UFC Saskatoon and Calls it Quits

Not only did Frankie Perez surprise everyone with his knockout victory over Sam Stout at UFC Fight Night 74, he also raised some eyebrows by then calling it a career. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov explains Diaz brawl: 'Fights happen between men. It's OK. It's normal.'

The Russian top-lightweight contender reveals how the infamous WSOF 22 crowd brawl with the Diaz brothers came about. While the UFC return of top-lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov is still of read news >>

Augusto Mendes has Legacy FC title hopes – with an eye on UFC down the road

Just 16 months into his professional MMA career, Augusto Mendes already has title aspirations – and a pretty clear idea of how he’d like his road to be paved going forward.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, read news >>

Curtain-jerker Holtzman, prelim fighter Ortiz discuss biggest surprise from Nashville crowd

NASHVILLE – Scott Holtzman and Dustin Ortiz figured the crowd – whatever the size – would be on their side. Yet, they were still blown away at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event. Filed under: Featur read news >>

Beneil Dariush vs. Michael Johnson UFC Fight Night 73 scorecard

The Beneil Dariush vs. Michael Johnson UFC Fight Night 73 scorecard reveals how the judges scored the controversial co-main event Saturday night in Nashville, Tenn. Judges Doug Bertrand and Doug Cros read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Beneil Dariush tops Michael Johnson by split decision

NASHVILLE – To the surprise of many and to the dismay of the crowd, Beneil Dariush was awarded a split-decision victory over Michael Johnson after what seemed like a relatively easy fight to score in read news >>