International Fight League lightweight champion Ryan Schultz (Pictures) ended his search for professional stability in the open arms of the Japan-based Sengoku promotion.

Schultz has agreed to a five-event deal with Sengoku that begins with his participation in an eight-man lightweight grand prix on Aug. 24 at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The deal could span six fights if Schultz reaches the final of the tournament. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The married 31-year-old father of one has not competed in the Land of the Rising Sun in more than two years but cited the need for financial security as a pivotal factor in his decision to sign on Sengoku’s dotted line.

“It’s huge; I have a family,” Schultz said. “I have a kid who’s relying on me. Plus, [Sengoku] made it worth my time. Knowing I’m guaranteed money over a certain amount of time … I really like that. It’s all laid out for me.”

Schultz (20-9-1) will square off with Mizuto Hirota (Pictures) in the opening round of the grand prix next month. A protégé of 2000 Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland (Pictures), Schultz will enter the draw with six consecutive wins, a streak that includes his memorable TKO victory over then undefeated Chris Horodecki (Pictures) in December. Hirota, a veteran of the Cage Force and Shooto promotions, has never been finished in 11 career bouts. He has knocked out his last three opponents.

“I don’t really know too much about him,” Schultz said. “I looked him up a little. It sounds like he comes to throw, and I kind of like that matchup.”

Still the only man to defeat streaking UFC lightweight contender Roger Huerta (Pictures), Schultz likes his chances in the tournament, which includes former Deep champion Kazunori Yokota (Pictures), Pride Fighting Championships veteran Eiji Mitsuoka (Pictures), King of the Cage mainstay Clay French (Pictures) and the fast-rising Rodrigo Damm (Pictures).

“I think it’s going to be tough, but I definitely think I have a chance of winning it,” Schultz said. “I’m coming to win. I respect the guys who are in it, but I think I can beat anybody in the world.”

Schultz’s departure -- along with other notable fighters and top executives, Senior Vice President of Communications Joe Favorito among them -- provides further evidence of the IFL’s imminent demise. Schultz has not competed since he successfully defended his belt with a unanimous decision victory against Lithuanian Deividas Taurosevicius (Pictures) in May.

“The IFL did the best they could with what they had,” Schultz said. “Unfortunately, they went under. It’s part of the game. A lot of shows start up and go under.”

The team-based promotion injected new life into Schultz’s career, as he entered the IFL with losses in four of his previous five bouts. Television exposure on MyNetworkTV, Fox Sports Net and HDNet proved invaluable for the Nebraskan, who has followed knockout losses to Horodecki and Bart Palaszewski (Pictures) in 2006 with six consecutive wins. When the IFL started its sink, suitors were not hard to find.

“The IFL put me on the map again,” Schultz said. “They gave me huge exposure and allowed me to fight for the belt. As soon as it went out that I had been freed up from the IFL, I started getting calls, and it kind of went from there.”

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Nick Diaz’s Suspension is Over; Will He Return to the UFC?

  • 28 days ago
  • 93 views

Nick Diaz's 18-month suspension has ended, making him eligible for a return to fighting for the first time since his UFC 183 headlining bout with Anderson Silva. read news >>

VIDEO: EFC 52 Weigh-in Erupts into All-Out Brawl

  • 25 days ago
  • 1244 views

These two EFC 52 fighters couldn't wait for the cage and ended up brawling on the stage at weigh-ins! read news >>

Making Glover Teixeira: Urban legend to UFC star

  • 15 days ago
  • 8 views

Glover Teixeira was once an MMA urban legend. Now he finds himself in the co-main event at UFC 202 against Anthony Johnson on August 20. read news >>

UFC 202 Press Conference Ends Abruptly, as Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor Fling Bottles

  • 12 days ago
  • 86 views

The UFC 202 pre-fight press conference ended abruptly on Wednesday, as Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor sent bottles flying at each other across the audience. read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

  • 8 days ago
  • 35 views

UFC 202 delivered on all fronts. Nine of the 12 fights ended with finishes, and the main event between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz went five full rounds of back-and-forth fisticuffs. Every fan shoul read news >>

Nate Diaz Video: ‘I Didn’t Think for a Second That I Lost’ (UFC 202)

  • 8 days ago
  • 31 views

Nate Diaz may have ended up on the wrong end of the decision at UFC 202 on Saturday night, but he didn't think for a second that he had lost to Conor McGregor. read news >>

Demian Maia returns to Vancouver in search of title shot

  • 6 days ago
  • 3 views

Demian Maia returns to Vancouver this weekend, a place that was the low-point before a career renaissance, in the hopes of earning another shot at championship glory. read news >>

UFC Loses Top Welterweight Rory MacDonald to Bellator: Big Deal or Nah?

  • 5 days ago
  • 48 views

The Red King has gone in search of a greener fiefdom. Rory MacDonald’s UFC exit on Wednesday was that rare case of “breaking news” that had been in the works for months. Fans have known since a May a read news >>