Ronda Rousey is generating plenty of attention ahead of her Strikeforce bantamweight title defense Saturday, but challenger Sarah Kaufman believes people may be overlooking her ability to take the champion’s belt.

“They’re forgetting that I had the Strikeforce title,” Kaufman told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They’re almost looking at it like, oh, I have no fights and I’m just some scrub who’s getting put in the cage and I’m going to get killed in five seconds. You know, Ronda’s only had five fights. Looking at that, on paper you would think that I would actually have the advantage, but people are clearly on the Ronda hype train, and hype really changes how people perceive fights.”

Rousey’s ascent in MMA has certainly been a rapid one. A bronze medalist in judo at the 2008 Olympics, she became a Strikeforce champion after just five professional fights when she submitted Miesha Tate in March. Her media rounds ahead of her first defense have included a photo shoot for ESPN the Magazine’s The Body Issue and an appearance on Conan O’Brien’s late-night talk show on TBS.

“Ronda has done, and been able to do, a lot of really good things when it comes to extra media and things that get people talking,” Kaufman said. “ESPN Body Issue and ringing the bell [at the New York Stock Exchange] -- there’s just a lot of things happening that should get coverage, and I’m glad they have gotten coverage.”

Meanwhile Kaufman has been overshadowed, though. She might spark more attention if she were willing to spar verbally with the outspoken Rousey, but that’s not her style.

“I’m trying to hype the fight in a way that I deem appropriate for myself,” Kaufman said. “I’m not going to make something up or get caught in a word battle because that’s how I think a fight has to be hyped. There’s so many ways to hype a fight. I’m really looking at this as I’m coming back. I’m the former champion, lost my one fight. I’ve made my way back. Ronda got kind of a gift in stepping over me and got the title fight with Miesha. She won the title, and now I want to win it back. To me, that’s an interesting story and it’s an exciting story for fans to follow. I don’t think there needs to be verbal trash talk and bashing each other personally or as athletes to make this fight exciting or make people want to watch it.”

Kaufman is complimentary of Rousey, praising her composure, her competitiveness, and her submission ability. At the same time, however, Kaufman doesn’t think Rousey has fought strong opposition outside of Tate.

“I don’t necessarily consider those wins to be nearly as substantial as beating Miesha, who is definitely a better opponent, but Miesha’s beatable,” said Kaufman, who outpointed Tate in May 2009. “She’s been beaten three times. I fought Miesha. Again, it’s a great win against a well-known and well-respected fighter, but Miesha’s just not on the same level as I am in different areas that I think will counter Ronda’s ability to have her game go her way.”

In Kaufman’s view, Tate either used a poor game plan against Rousey or let her emotions affect her -- and still had some early success in the fight before getting submitted. Kaufman’s confident she can capitalize in ways that Tate could not.

“If people want to kind of overlook me and think that I’m just going to get stepped on really fast, that’s great for me because I’m considered an underdog and who doesn’t like being an underdog?” Kaufman said. “When you win, it’s that much better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:58:35).

Podcast: Ian McCall on Scoggins beef and if CM Punk will win - MMA Plus

Ian McCall featured on The Mind Diet ahead of UFC 203 and he had plenty to say about previously scheduled competitor, 'young dumb kid' Justin Scoggins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC Fight Night Arlovski vs Barnett - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Cris Cyborg: ‘There’s a Novela Between Ronda and I That We Need to Finish’

Cris Cyborg Justino doesn't fault Ronda Rousey for losing, but she believes the drama of their rivalry is something people want to see culminate in a fight. read news >>

Bleacher Report MMA Rankings for September 2016 Ahead of UFC 203

It's been a while, folks, but the Bleacher Report MMA rankings are back! It's been a hectic month-and-a-half, with a number of major events and a number of good fights going down across nearly every read news >>

Overeem says Miocic enjoying title life too much

Ahead of their heavyweight championship clash at UFC 203, challenger Alistair Overeem thinks champion Stipe Miocic is enjoying the title life too much and he's hungry enough to take the belt on Sept. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Odds, Tickets, Predictions and Pre-Weigh-In Hype

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will make its Cleveland debut this Saturday as Stipe Miocic prepares to defend his UFC heavyweight title against Alistair Overeem at the Quicken Loans Arena. "Stone read news >>

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall: UFC 203 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

UFC 203 might be headlined by a heavyweight title fight between Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem, but plenty of people will be tuning in to watch CM Punk's debut against Mickey Gall. The unknown is read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: UFC 203 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

With all due respect to CM Punk and Mickey Gall, UFC 203 is all about Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem. Saturday night will see Miocic try to defend his UFC heavyweight title against Overeem, who is read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

Attention, Mickey Gall: Beat CM Punk, Call out Sage Northcutt, Get Rich Fast

The UFC’s resident lottery winner, Mickey Gall, has played his cards right as an MMA neophyte. He parlayed time training under the Miller brothers in New Jersey into an undefeated amateur career, the read news >>