Sarah Kaufman 478x270Former Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Sarah Kaufman hopes to debut in the UFC on the June 15 UFC 161 fight card in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The Canadian feels the timing would be perfect and that the fans want to see her on that card.

“It would be perfect timing.  Fight in April, have some time to get ready for a fight in June, fight in front of my home country, in front of my home country fans.  I think that a lot of people are really excited that I’m coming to the UFC,” Kaufman told

When the location of the UFC 161 event was announced, fans took to twitter and other social media expressing their interest in seeing Kaufman on the card.  Kaufman feels the fans can be the catalyst to make it happen.

“I’ve had a lot of really positive feedback from fans from all over on Twitter and Facebook, direct messages, emails, and it’s really exciting for me as a fighter to have that support and feel that love from the fans and know that they’re excited to see me fight and they want me to get in that cage,” said Kaufman.

“I really think that if the fans can get behind it, they can push Sean Shelby, push Dana White, let them know that they want to see me fighting on that Winnipeg card. I think that it’s going to happen,” she added.

Kaufman was defeated by Ronda Rousey in her last outing.  She is scheduled to face Leslie Smith in Invicta FC 5 on April 5 and hopes for a quick turnaround and an eventual rematch with Rousey.

“I really don’t think (a title shot) is very far off for me.  My last performance, I don’t even consider it a fight,” said Kaufman. “I had a great camp for it.  There are no excuses.  Ronda came in and started fast.  I didn’t really get to showcase any of my skills at all, and I really don’t even consider it a fight in my career.  It happened.  It’s on my record, but mentally it was more of a hiccup than anything else.

“I truly believe that I’m one of the best in the world and that I will be the best in the world according to all the rankings and I’d like to do that in the next year.  You know, fight Leslie, fight hard, get the win, hopefully a knockout,” she continued.  “At the end of the day, fight in the UFC, get a win and get that title shot and really prove why I deserve it and why I would be number one.”

Some still criticize Rousey, calling her a one-trick pony because she’s won all of her fights by armbar.  Kaufman isn’t one of those critics.  She believes Rousey uses what she does best and if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

“She uses the one thing she’s good at, her Judo into a fast transition into the arm bar.  She sticks with it.  She gets it.  Sure, it’s one trick, but it’s been working, so why would you change it? You keep evolving your game, and if you need to, use it, but if you don’t need to, if you can get that win as fast as she has been doing, then why change that?”

Be sure to Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Fightweets: Luke Rockhold and the revenge of Strikeforce

LOS ANGELES -- Fabrico Werdum, Daniel Cormier, Robbie Lawler, Ronda Rousey. All Strikeforce alumni. All wearing UFC gold. As if that isn't an impressive enough UFC resume for a promotion that was som read news >>

Nick Diaz hopes Ronda Rousey doesn't get in trouble for anti-NAC comments

Nick Diaz has his own problems, but he's also worried his friend Ronda Rousey might get in trouble for her comments in support of him last week in Australia. The UFC women's bantamweight champion -- read news >>

Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm take center stage in epic UFC 193 promo

The UFC has upped its promo game for its debut in Melbourne. With an eye toward setting its all-time attendance record, the UFC has released a series of promos highlighting the upbringing of both Ron read news >>

Holly Holm: Facing Ronda Rousey sooner 'can be a lot better' than waiting four months

Holly Holm spent about four hours working on the logistics of her training camp and travel schedule with her coaches, husband and manager two weeks ago. Holm's team was trying to figure out the best read news >>

Video: Could these two world champion wrestlers be Ronda Rousey's downfall?

LAS VEGAS – As UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey continues to destroy challengers at an alarming rate, what’s it going to take for someone to beat her? How about world championship-level read news >>

'Nervous' Ronda Rousey on Entertainment Tonight: If I suck in Road House, everyone will hate me (Video)

"I'm obsessed with Road House, I love Road House. I see why people would be hesitant to see a remake, because it is such a classic. In my own way, I'm nervous. The worst thing that’s going to happen read news >>

Sarah Kaufman Misses Her Target, Draws Germaine de Randamie at UFC on FOX 17

Sarah Kaufman had been gunning for someone at the upper end of the UFC women's bantamweight rankings for her next fight, but she won't get her wish. read news >>

UFC on FOX 17: Sarah Kaufman vs. Germaine de Randamie joins Orlando card in December

Kaufman aims to get back on the winning track against the Dutch striker. While it may not be the bout or opponent she was looking for, Sarah Kaufman 17-3-(1) will soon be inside the Ultimate Fighting read news >>

VIDEO: How Does Holly Holm Handle Everyone Writing Her Off Against Ronda Rousey?

It's got to be difficult for Holly Holm to have everyone already write her off as a threat to UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. read news >>

No Correia, Tate, Zingano for Sarah Kaufman, who gets de Randamie at UFC on Fox 17

Sarah Kaufman had a trio of fights she was hoping for, but she’ll have to settle for a name that wasn’t on her list.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>