Sara McMann does not understand the hate surrounding her opponent. | Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Ultimate Fighting Championship women’s bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey has not won over many fans since she coached opposite Miesha Tate on “The Ultimate Fighter 18” and then refused to shake the hand of her defeated archrival at UFC 168.

Sara McMann, Rousey’s challenger in the UFC 170 main event on Saturday in Las Vegas, has been taken aback by some of the champion’s critics.

“I think people are getting way, way, way too worked up about her personality,” she told Sherdog.com. “Some people are treating it like they hate her. I’m like, ‘Really? There are people in this world who you should hate and there are pedophiles or people who beat up old people and take their money. There are some rotten, despicable people who are orchestrating genocides in other countries, and yes, if you’re going to hate anyone, then by all means, hate them; but really to hate a girl just because what she says aggravates you?’ I just don’t think it’s worthy of hate. It’s someone that you wouldn’t invite to your Christmas party, but worthy of hate? I don’t see it. I mean, I just think that it’s so blown out of proportion.”

McMann, who will enter the Octagon as a heavy underdog despite a perfect 7-0 professional record, does not feel any additional pressure to defeat Rousey because of those who dislike her.

“Truthfully, I wouldn’t count those people on my side as much as I would count them against Ronda,” she said. “If you’re a fan of me, it’s because you have seen my fights and you like the way that I fight. If you just want her to get beat, I don’t feel like you’re a fan of mine. I feel like you’re someone who has a preference that somebody loses.”

Although media attention swirls around Rousey, McMann wants to maintain focus on herself.

“I’m very much a worry-about-yourself kind of girl,” she said. “That also comes from my wrestling background. You can’t control anyone else’s conditioning, their strength, their speed or whatever. You’re wasting your time sitting around thinking about all these things that they’re doing or not doing, even the things they’re doing to their detriment.

“In wrestling, we’d say, ‘Oh, this girl goes out and parties, and this girl’s not doing this right, she’s not eating right,’ but then that girl would beat you, so really those things that you’re thinking about didn’t even matter,” McMann added. “Focus on what you can control, which is yourself and your own growth and how you compete. That’s all you can control.”

Miesha Tate Comments on Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, Paige VanZant and UFC

UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate questioned Ronda Rousey's emotional state and Conor McGregor's UFC stance in a wide-ranging and opinionated interview Thursday. Tate appeared on SiriusXM read news >>

Miesha Tate: ‘Ronda Rousey is Somewhat Emotionally Unstable’

"I think Ronda is somewhat emotionally unstable and I think that's been characteristic for a long time," said UFC champion Miesha Tate. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Sara McMann Dominates, Decisions Jessica Eye

Sara McMann scored a dominating victory over former training partner Jessica Eye at UFC Fight Night 88. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88: Sara McMann Controls Jessica Eye in Uneventful Affair

It wasn’t exciting, but it was a standard Sara McMann (9-3) performance. The Olympic silver medalist suffocated Jessica Eye (11-5, 1 NC) en route to a unanimous-decision victory. The first round was read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Return Possibly Pushed Back to 2017, Says Dana White

The question of "When will Ronda Rousey return?" keeps getting more and more complicated. Speaking with Cari Champion on ESPN's SportsCenter (h/t MMAFighting.com for the transcription), UFC President read news >>

Ronda Rousey Undergoes Surgery, Might Not Make UFC Return Until 2017

Ronda Rousey underwent surgery on Wednesday, which UFC president Dana White said could delay her return until 2017. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Recovery from Knee Surgery

Ronda Rousey may not return until 2017 because of knee surgery, according to UFC President Dana White. On Thursday, White said on SportsCenter (via Yahoo Sports' Andreas Hale) that Rousey had the pro read news >>

Joe Rogan Believes Ronda Rousey Thought She Was Special, And Fell Victim to Hollywood ‘Traps’

UFC commentator Joe Rogan believes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey thought she was special and fell victim to Hollywood 'traps.' read news >>

Miesha Tate Comments on Ronda Rousey Ahead of UFC 200 Fight vs. Amanda Nunes

UFC Women’s Bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has branded Ronda Rousey “pouty” and has questioned whether her rival will ever return to her very best. Tate was speaking on Conan as preparations conti read news >>

Miesha Tate Video: I Need to Fight Ronda Rousey Again, I Also Want to Fight Cris Cyborg

UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate says something would be missing from her career if she didn't get to fight Ronda Rousey again. read news >>