Ryan Healy Hoping a Win at Score FS 7 Could Propel Him into UFC Discussion

Ryan HealyLooking back over his 2012 so far, Ryan “Diamond” Healy sees mostly good, despite going just 1-1 in his two bouts this year.

“I was coming off an injury at the start of the year and then went in and lost a close fight to John Alessio, but it was a good fight for me, I learned a lot,” said Healy. “I found what my style is and where the best areas to take the fight are, and I think I can do that against most guys.

“Against Alessio I learned that and there were a few instances where I should have taken advantage of my position and wrestled him a little more, but I gave him more respect than I should have and backed off.”

Healy took what he learned from his fight against Alessio and picked up a dominating win over Paul Kelly just over a month later.

Healy will look to build a winning streak to end the year on Nov. 23 when he travels to Ontario, Canada to take on Jesse Ronson at Score Fighting Series 7.

“He’s tough, is good in all areas, but I think I match-up with him quite well everywhere. I think I can strike with him, and definitely out-wrestle him and control the ground work,” said Healy of Ronson. “I’m happy to fight wherever it goes.

Interestingly, Ronson has sought the council of the man who beat Healy earlier this year to help develop a game plan for their fight on Nov. 23.

“I don’t really think Alessio can tell him much, to be honest,” said Healy. “All he’d be able to tell (Ronson) is just to try to take me down and lay on me and just hold me and ride it out for the win. It really doesn’t bother me that he’s talking to Alessio.”

Having accomplished just about everything he can at this level of MMA, Healy’s only unfulfilled goal is the one shared by his twin brother Pat, to get to the top promotion and contend for a title.

“A win right here against Ronson, coming off the Paul Kelly win, will at least put me in discussion for the UFC,” said Healy. “With Strikeforce ending, my brother and I have always dreamed of fighting in the UFC at the same time, so hopefully next year will be a great time for both of us to get into the UFC.

“We both want to be world champions. I think we’re still at that age where can still do it and have a few good years left. All of our training has been paying off, so the UFC is the next step and after that is chasing world championships.”

Steve Montgomery steps into Friday's Titan FC 31 bout searching for a victory and hoping to catch the UFC's eye. read news >>

Justin Reiswerg heads into Friday night's Legacy FC 37 believing that a win over Mike Bronzoulis will punch his ticket to the UFC. read news >>

• 18 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas – With the biggest win of his career under his belt, Edson Barboza knows there’s nothing but bigger challenges ahead, and the Brazilian said he’s ready to face everybody.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Results from the preliminary card for UFC 179 including Neil Magny tying the UFC record with five wins in a single calendar year. Neil Magny managed to become only the second fighter in UFC history t read news >>

“The Ultimate Fighter” Season 16 semifinalist Neil Magny tied an Ultimate Fighting Championship record with his fifth win inside a calendar year, as he dispatched William Macario with mou read news >>

UFC 179: "Aldo vs. Mendes 2" complete recap of Saturday night's (Oct. 25, 2014) “Prelims” mixed martial arts (MMA) action that featured six bouts across four weight classes, airing live on FOX Sports read news >>

Neil Magny left nothing to chance on Saturday night. And as a result, he etched his name in the UFC's record books. The Colorado-based fighter turned up the heat in the second and third round of his read news >>

Beniel Dariush had a spirited walkout Saturday night, singing along to Michael Jackson's "Rock With You" as he made his way to the Octagon in Rio de Janeiro. But the highlights of his lightweight fig read news >>

Jump to: