Ryan Ford at MFC 26

Ryan Ford

Expectations have always been high for Ryan “Real Deal” Ford, but he’s not always been able to live up to them.

After picking up four wins in a row, Ford was submitted by Douglas Lima at MFC 26 in September, derailing his rise, albeit temporarily.

Wanting to erase the disappointment of his loss to Lima, Ford wasted no time returning to action at MFC 27, defeating veteran Pete Spratt for the second time.

“It’s good to get back on the winning side,” Ford told MMAWeekly.com after the match. “I’m not really impressed by my whole fight, how it went down, but I got the W and that’s all that matters.”

Usually an aggressive fighter, Ford seemed sluggish in the first round, to which he accounts being overly cerebral early on.

“I was just getting my mind in it right,” said Ford. “In my last fight I had a little bit of a mental issue about thinking about things too much and not just going out and fighting.

“I was worried about getting caught in submissions or bad situations and getting out of them.”

Ford also admits a change in style may have accounted for his initial lack of sharpness.

“I wanted to keep the fight standing, because usually I throw a couple of punches and rush for a takedown; I’m trying to get out of that game and start mixing up my hands and feet,” he commented.

To get him back on track, Ford credits his team for getting on his case in between rounds.
“My corner was getting in my face telling me it was ‘time to go’ and ‘let’s do this,’” said Ford. “It pretty much they fired me up in the second round to come out and get it done.”

Having gone 2-1 in 2010, Ford wants to continue to develop the skills he’s picked up from working with Adam Zugec and the Zuma team in Vancouver, so he can get back to putting together wins.

“I’m back on the winning track to start 2011, and I want to just keep on that winning streak,” he stated.

“I’ve been in the gym every day training and gaining confidence in my hands and my whole ability to work the game out. You’re going to see lots more of me in exciting fights every time I step in the ring or cage.”

Back on a positive route to close out the year, Ford is looking forward to delivering on expectations and rising to the challenges that await him.

“I want to thank everybody for supporting me: Full Tilt Poker, Head Rush, TriStar, Key West Edmonton, Rock Hard Weekend, and everybody else for making it so I can keep doing what I do,” he concluded.

“To the fans out there, keep your eyes out for me. I’m coming in strong every fight. It’s never going to be a boring fight with me; it’s always going to be exciting because I make sure I put on a show for the fans.”

Despite skid, WSOF 33's Joao Zeferino doesn't see recent losses as setbacks

Joao Zeferino has a surprisingly positive outlook on the current status of his career. With back-to-back losses, Zeferino said he doesn’t feel an unordinary amount of pressure to get back on track wh read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson Results and Highlights

UFC 204 was one of the more exciting events in recent memory with just the first and last fights of the night going the distance, exceeding all expectations.Despite several injuries and losing one bo read news >>

UFC contender Demian Maia proud of lack of damage taken in recent fights

UFC welterweight contender Demian Maia has absorbed just 13 significant strikes in his past four fights combined. That's a statistic he can take pride in, because the jiu-jitsu ace has always preache read news >>

Nate Diaz taunts Conor McGregor after recent comments about trilogy fight

Nate Diaz fires back at Conor McGregor read news >>

Dana White Talks About Anderson Silva Being 'Mistreated'

Dana White believes Anderson Silva's recent comments on being disrespected by the UFC are ridiculous.Following Jose Aldo, MMA legend Anderson Silva has become the latest Brazilian fighter to ope read news >>

Anderson Silva backing down from recent criticism of UFC, offers brief apology to Dana White

As far as apologies go, Anderson Silva’s wasn’t exactly a major one. But a sorry is a sorry, and “The Spider” certainly took a step back from recent comments that were critical of the UFC. Filed unde read news >>

Matt Brown Faces Tarec Saffiedine at UFC 207 | MMAWeekly.com

Struggling to find their footing in recent bouts, Matt Brown and Tarec Saffiedine will square off at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 opening odds: Despite past win, Uriah Hall a massive underdog to Gegard Mousasi

Despite a recent win over his UFC Fight Night 99 opponent, Uriah Hall is a massive underdog going into the rematch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg vs. Louis Smolka booked for UFC 207 in December

A pair of flyweights looking to rebound from recent disappointing losses has been added to UFC 207.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor takes a shot at Jose Aldo after his recent beef with the UFC