Ryan Ford at MFC 26

Ryan Ford

Expectations have always been high for Ryan “Real Deal” Ford, but he’s not always been able to live up to them.

After picking up four wins in a row, Ford was submitted by Douglas Lima at MFC 26 in September, derailing his rise, albeit temporarily.

Wanting to erase the disappointment of his loss to Lima, Ford wasted no time returning to action at MFC 27, defeating veteran Pete Spratt for the second time.

“It’s good to get back on the winning side,” Ford told MMAWeekly.com after the match. “I’m not really impressed by my whole fight, how it went down, but I got the W and that’s all that matters.”

Usually an aggressive fighter, Ford seemed sluggish in the first round, to which he accounts being overly cerebral early on.

“I was just getting my mind in it right,” said Ford. “In my last fight I had a little bit of a mental issue about thinking about things too much and not just going out and fighting.

“I was worried about getting caught in submissions or bad situations and getting out of them.”

Ford also admits a change in style may have accounted for his initial lack of sharpness.

“I wanted to keep the fight standing, because usually I throw a couple of punches and rush for a takedown; I’m trying to get out of that game and start mixing up my hands and feet,” he commented.

To get him back on track, Ford credits his team for getting on his case in between rounds.
“My corner was getting in my face telling me it was ‘time to go’ and ‘let’s do this,’” said Ford. “It pretty much they fired me up in the second round to come out and get it done.”

Having gone 2-1 in 2010, Ford wants to continue to develop the skills he’s picked up from working with Adam Zugec and the Zuma team in Vancouver, so he can get back to putting together wins.

“I’m back on the winning track to start 2011, and I want to just keep on that winning streak,” he stated.

“I’ve been in the gym every day training and gaining confidence in my hands and my whole ability to work the game out. You’re going to see lots more of me in exciting fights every time I step in the ring or cage.”

Back on a positive route to close out the year, Ford is looking forward to delivering on expectations and rising to the challenges that await him.

“I want to thank everybody for supporting me: Full Tilt Poker, Head Rush, TriStar, Key West Edmonton, Rock Hard Weekend, and everybody else for making it so I can keep doing what I do,” he concluded.

“To the fans out there, keep your eyes out for me. I’m coming in strong every fight. It’s never going to be a boring fight with me; it’s always going to be exciting because I make sure I put on a show for the fans.”

Matt Mitrione on 'knucklehead' and 'hypocrite' Jon Jones' hit-and-run incident

UFC heavyweight contender Matt Mitrione weighs in on Jon Jones' recent run-in with the law. Jon Jones' recent altercation with the law, which resulted in a pregnant lady suffering a broken arm due to read news >>

Anthony Johnson levels with Daniel Cormier: 'I'm a different kind of animal now'

Light-heavyweight title challenger Anthony Johnson refutes Daniel Cormier's recent antagonizing claims. read news >>

Nick Diaz passed two out of three drug tests on night of UFC 183

Recent news has surfaced regarding Nick Diaz's drug tests surrounding his theatric clash with Anderson Silva at UFC 183. The UFC 183 drug scandal involving both Nick Diaz and Anderson Silva set the M read news >>

Ronda Rousey Responds and Bethe Correia Apologizes for Suicide Remark

• a day ago

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey wasn’t appreciative of Bethe Correia’s recent suicide remark and responded on Wednesday via Twitter. read news >>

UFC 187 results, recap, and link wrap up:

Missed this most recent UFC pay-per-view event? Or perhaps looking to revisit some of the top stories from "Johnson vs. Cormier?" We've got you covered. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) faced the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 staff picks: Is Miocic the favorite over Hunt, as odds suggest?

Recent odds have Stipe Miocic a nearly 2.5-1 (-250) favorite over Mark Hunt in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 65 heavyweight headliner, but is he such a clear-cut choice in MMAjunkie’s staff picks?Filed read news >>

Video: Check out UFC 187's new preview with Daniel Cormier, John Makdessi

After some recent changes at the top of the card, the lineup is again set for next month’s UFC 187 event. Check out the new video preview of the Memorial Day weekend show.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

The MMA Hour - 282- Sean O'Connell

Sean O'Connell discussed his most recent win over Anthony Perosh, and more. read news >>

Ken Shamrock on Kimbo Slice: 'That guy's not even in a league with me'

Ken Shamrock was not a fan of some recent comments by Bellator 138 opponent Kimbo Slice at a press conference. Ken Shamrock is unamused by Kimbo Slice. After a recent press conference in St. Louis to read news >>

Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: 'He's a better talker than a fighter'

Injured Junior dos Santos responded to Alistair Overeem's recent comments about wanting to fight him. read news >>