Ryan Ford at MFC 26

Ryan Ford

Expectations have always been high for Ryan “Real Deal” Ford, but he’s not always been able to live up to them.

After picking up four wins in a row, Ford was submitted by Douglas Lima at MFC 26 in September, derailing his rise, albeit temporarily.

Wanting to erase the disappointment of his loss to Lima, Ford wasted no time returning to action at MFC 27, defeating veteran Pete Spratt for the second time.

“It’s good to get back on the winning side,” Ford told MMAWeekly.com after the match. “I’m not really impressed by my whole fight, how it went down, but I got the W and that’s all that matters.”

Usually an aggressive fighter, Ford seemed sluggish in the first round, to which he accounts being overly cerebral early on.

“I was just getting my mind in it right,” said Ford. “In my last fight I had a little bit of a mental issue about thinking about things too much and not just going out and fighting.

“I was worried about getting caught in submissions or bad situations and getting out of them.”

Ford also admits a change in style may have accounted for his initial lack of sharpness.

“I wanted to keep the fight standing, because usually I throw a couple of punches and rush for a takedown; I’m trying to get out of that game and start mixing up my hands and feet,” he commented.

To get him back on track, Ford credits his team for getting on his case in between rounds.
“My corner was getting in my face telling me it was ‘time to go’ and ‘let’s do this,’” said Ford. “It pretty much they fired me up in the second round to come out and get it done.”

Having gone 2-1 in 2010, Ford wants to continue to develop the skills he’s picked up from working with Adam Zugec and the Zuma team in Vancouver, so he can get back to putting together wins.

“I’m back on the winning track to start 2011, and I want to just keep on that winning streak,” he stated.

“I’ve been in the gym every day training and gaining confidence in my hands and my whole ability to work the game out. You’re going to see lots more of me in exciting fights every time I step in the ring or cage.”

Back on a positive route to close out the year, Ford is looking forward to delivering on expectations and rising to the challenges that await him.

“I want to thank everybody for supporting me: Full Tilt Poker, Head Rush, TriStar, Key West Edmonton, Rock Hard Weekend, and everybody else for making it so I can keep doing what I do,” he concluded.

“To the fans out there, keep your eyes out for me. I’m coming in strong every fight. It’s never going to be a boring fight with me; it’s always going to be exciting because I make sure I put on a show for the fans.”

Wanderlei Silva Claims UFC Has Fixed Fights, Says He Can Prove It

Wanderlei Silva has been actively crusading against the UFC in recent months, but he broke new ground in a series of posts on Facebook yesterday (h/t to MMAJunkie.com for translating). While the topi read news >>

WSOF hires cutman 'Stitch' Duran to work 'Palhares vs Shields' event after controversial UFC release

In a recent conference call to promote "Palhares vs. Shields," which takes place on Aug. 1, 2015, WSOF President Ray Sefo declared that he'd love to have renowned cutman Jacob "Stitch" Duran in the o read news >>

Duane Ludwig doesn't regret recent comments about Team Alpha Male

CHICAGO -- Duane Ludwig talks about his recent comments regarding Team Alpha Male, what he meant by those comments, what makes Dillashaw special, the rematch against Barao and more. read news >>

Jose Aldo launches wild litigation spree, threatens to sue UFC and Chael Sonnen over recent rib roast

Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo has been asking Chael Sonnen to STFU for several years and to the surprise of no one, "The American Gangster" has ign read news >>

New Invicta champion Tonya Evinger found motivation in recent Dana White tweet: 'That pissed me off'

LAS VEGAS -- New Invicta FC bantamweight champion Tonya Evinger talks about beating Irene Aldana, finally becoming a champion, how she turned her career around, finding motivation from a Dana White t read news >>

Tonya Evinger Invicta FC 13 media day scrum

LAS VEGAS -- Tonya Evinger discusses recent comments by Sean Shelby, her motivation, why she would rather fight for Invicta than UFC, and more during Invicta FC 13 media day Tuesday. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez reacts to Gilbert Melendez's drug test failure: 'I understand why guys do stuff'

Eddie Alvarez got wind of Gilbert Melendez's recent drug test failure for exogenous testosterone, but it doesn't sound like the former Bellator champ is taking a very hard line stance on the issue. W read news >>

The UFC Cutting Room Floor: Hatsu Hioki and long goodbyes

Zane Simon goes in depth on the most recent UFC roster cuts, just who the fighters were, and whether or not we might expect them back soon. New to this episode, a look at the UFC signings from the mo read news >>

Forty-Year-Old Glena Avila Takes Aim at KOTC Championship After Recent Win

She may be 40 years of age, but Glena Avila is taking aim at the King of the Cage strawweight championship. read news >>

Rockhold on sponsor deals, Machida's place in the division, post-fight speeches & more

In a recent interview with Bloody Elbow, Luke Rockhold weighed in on a variety of topics that include his thoughts on the Machida/Romero fight, the MW pecking order, post-fight speeches, AKA's traini read news >>