Ryan BenoitAfter three wins in his first four fights, bantamweight prospect Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit was off to a good start. But it’s been in his last three fights that he’s really blossomed.

Benoit credits his surge to approaching his striking differently, as well as raising the level all around on his individual skills.

“I went down to Mexico a little bit and trained for about a month at (boxing light-middleweight world champion) Canelo (Alvarez’s) gym,” said Benoit. “And when I came back I started training with Jesus Chavez and it’s definitely opened my eyes a lot to a different way of striking.

“Boxing is a completely different game and I respect boxers a lot. I’ve really worked it into my game. And I’ve also worked with a lot of really good Muay Thai guys over the past year. To be in that type of environment has helped me be able to compete at a high level.”

Benoit pointed to his recent results as proof that all the effort he’s put forth has been worth it.

“The work I’ve put in has really paid off, because I fought three times last year and they all ended in the first round pretty quickly. I think that little transition and change has made the biggest effect. Wanting to be the best at every specific category of fighting has the biggest difference as a whole in my game.”

Now sporting a 6-1 record, Benoit returns at MFC 37 on Friday in the promotion’s first bantamweight showdown against fellow up and comer Anthony Birchak (9-1) in Edmonton, Canada, live on AXS TV. The fight was even bumped up to main event status when the original battle for the vacant MFC heavyweight champion had to be scrapped.

“Anthony comes to bang every time and he’s definitely not scared to fight,” said Benoit. “He’s a little wild, I think, but he swings hard, and that’s what promoters and matchmakers want. He’s very aggressive, but he’s got a lot of holes in his game and I can see those holes very easily and I’m going to do my best to expose them.

“I asked for this fight when I saw he signed with the MFC. He’s got a good record, is a real solid opponent, and is up there with me in the rankings. But I think it’s a bad match-up for him and a good match-up for me, and all the work that I’ve put in is definitely going to pay off.”

Not only is this bout important for the history of the MFC, being it’s first major bout at 135 pounds, but it also could prove to be a watershed moment for both fighters’ careers with all the hype surrounding it.

“We’ve been having our little Twitter battles and there’s been a lot of interviews with us talking smack to each other and I think it’s really great for us,” said Benoit. “It’s exposing us so much more to everyone all over the world and it’s going to be the most high-profile fight I’ve ever had and I really want to shine.

“I want everybody to see what I’m all about and really show my potential in this fight.”

Fabricio Werdum: Can the Newly Minted Champ Make UFC Heavyweight History?

The UFC's heavyweight title is an undomesticated beast. The sport's biggest, baddest fighters have tried to tame her, and again and again, they've failed. When a heavyweight seizes the belt, it's ine read news >>

Nick Burgos Puts His Six-Fight Streak on the Line at RFA 27

Hoping to make a quick jump to the UFC, Nick Burgos puts his six-fight winning streak on the line at RFA 27 on Friday night. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez: 'I'm Going to Make Gilbert Melendez Pay for Wanting to Fight Me'

Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez are set to handle their business at UFC 188 on Saturday night in Mexico City. There is a large amount of buzz surrounding the clash between two of the elite lightwe read news >>

Shawn Jordan vs. Derrick Lewis and the 5 Best Head-Kick KOs in UFC HW History

The upside-down man pictured above—UFC heavyweight Shawn Jordan—weighs north of 260 pounds. He's kind of athletic. There's something special about a man that big doing things that physically taxing, read news >>

Zorobabel Moreira determined to get back to winning ways at ONE: 'Dynasty of Champions'

Zorobabel Moreira was one of the most popular fighters to emerge during ONE Championship's early years (when it was known as ONE FC). He was featured on four of the first six cards and it was a major read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I'm still at the top of my division and can make another run at the UFC title

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, was blown away by Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last month in Las Vegas, Nevada (video read news >>

Trading Shots: Struggling to make sense of Dan Henderson's complex career

In this week’s Trading Shots, retired UFC/WEC fighter Danny Downes joins MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes to discuss the long and complicated career of Dan Henderson, who simply refuses to hang up the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 results recap: Next matches to make for 'Boetsch vs Henderson' main card winners in New Orleans

After a memorable UFC Fight Night 68: "Boetsch vs Henderson" event, MMAmania.com ponders what is next for the main card winners who picked up victories last Saturday night (June 6, 2015) on the FOX S read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68: Fights to make for the main carders

UFC Fight Night 68 was one of the best cards in recent memory, but where do the main card fighters go from here? Tim B. gives his predictions. It seems like everything is better in New Orleans. The f read news >>