Ryan BenoitAfter three wins in his first four fights, bantamweight prospect Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit was off to a good start. But it’s been in his last three fights that he’s really blossomed.

Benoit credits his surge to approaching his striking differently, as well as raising the level all around on his individual skills.

“I went down to Mexico a little bit and trained for about a month at (boxing light-middleweight world champion) Canelo (Alvarez’s) gym,” said Benoit. “And when I came back I started training with Jesus Chavez and it’s definitely opened my eyes a lot to a different way of striking.

“Boxing is a completely different game and I respect boxers a lot. I’ve really worked it into my game. And I’ve also worked with a lot of really good Muay Thai guys over the past year. To be in that type of environment has helped me be able to compete at a high level.”

Benoit pointed to his recent results as proof that all the effort he’s put forth has been worth it.

“The work I’ve put in has really paid off, because I fought three times last year and they all ended in the first round pretty quickly. I think that little transition and change has made the biggest effect. Wanting to be the best at every specific category of fighting has the biggest difference as a whole in my game.”

Now sporting a 6-1 record, Benoit returns at MFC 37 on Friday in the promotion’s first bantamweight showdown against fellow up and comer Anthony Birchak (9-1) in Edmonton, Canada, live on AXS TV. The fight was even bumped up to main event status when the original battle for the vacant MFC heavyweight champion had to be scrapped.

“Anthony comes to bang every time and he’s definitely not scared to fight,” said Benoit. “He’s a little wild, I think, but he swings hard, and that’s what promoters and matchmakers want. He’s very aggressive, but he’s got a lot of holes in his game and I can see those holes very easily and I’m going to do my best to expose them.

“I asked for this fight when I saw he signed with the MFC. He’s got a good record, is a real solid opponent, and is up there with me in the rankings. But I think it’s a bad match-up for him and a good match-up for me, and all the work that I’ve put in is definitely going to pay off.”

Not only is this bout important for the history of the MFC, being it’s first major bout at 135 pounds, but it also could prove to be a watershed moment for both fighters’ careers with all the hype surrounding it.

“We’ve been having our little Twitter battles and there’s been a lot of interviews with us talking smack to each other and I think it’s really great for us,” said Benoit. “It’s exposing us so much more to everyone all over the world and it’s going to be the most high-profile fight I’ve ever had and I really want to shine.

“I want everybody to see what I’m all about and really show my potential in this fight.”

Brandon Thatch discusses losing skid and chance to rebound at UFC 207

DENVER – When Brandon Thatch had his 10-fight winning streak snapped by Benson Henderson in a “Fight of the Night” winner nearly two years ago, there was little shame. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Unapologetic Rousey cares only about winning back title

Ronda Rousey is uninterested in anything not related to winning back the women's bantamweight title at UFC 207 Friday night against Amanda Nunes. Rousey plans to say everything inside the Octagon on read news >>

Ronda Rousey Doesn't Care About Anything but Winning at UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey says she's laser-focused on crushing Amanda Nunes on Friday at UFC 207 and doesn't care about anything else, the money, the media, or her image. read news >>

Watch today's weigh-in in dynamic 360 video

UFC is making history again as the first professional sport to test out the new live 360 video streaming technology on Periscope via Twitter at the UFC 207: NUNES vs. ROUSEY ceremonial weigh-in event read news >>

After shift from Matt Brown to Dong Hyun Kim, Tarec Saffiedine just happy to remain on UFC 207 card

LAS VEGAS – It hasn’t been smooth sailing for Tarec Saffiedine’s UFC career.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cody Garbrandt's title-winning victory over Dominick Cruz at UFC 207

Cody Garbrandt promised that his punching power would catch Dominick Cruz. He was right, and he left the UFC 207 co-headliner at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the UFC bantamweight championship.Fil read news >>

Mom: 'Average person' just can't understand how much winning means to Ronda Rousey

Every athlete deserves – and probably needs – a mom like Dr. AnnMaria De Mars.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Amanda Nunes, Cody Garbrandt and UFC 207's other winning fighters?

And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s winning fighters.F read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Fresh Off Tournament Win, Cro Cop Announces Retirement Plans | MMAWeekly.com

Just a few days removed from winning three fights in two days, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has announced plans to retire. read news >>