Ryan BenoitAfter three wins in his first four fights, bantamweight prospect Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit was off to a good start. But it’s been in his last three fights that he’s really blossomed.

Benoit credits his surge to approaching his striking differently, as well as raising the level all around on his individual skills.

“I went down to Mexico a little bit and trained for about a month at (boxing light-middleweight world champion) Canelo (Alvarez’s) gym,” said Benoit. “And when I came back I started training with Jesus Chavez and it’s definitely opened my eyes a lot to a different way of striking.

“Boxing is a completely different game and I respect boxers a lot. I’ve really worked it into my game. And I’ve also worked with a lot of really good Muay Thai guys over the past year. To be in that type of environment has helped me be able to compete at a high level.”

Benoit pointed to his recent results as proof that all the effort he’s put forth has been worth it.

“The work I’ve put in has really paid off, because I fought three times last year and they all ended in the first round pretty quickly. I think that little transition and change has made the biggest effect. Wanting to be the best at every specific category of fighting has the biggest difference as a whole in my game.”

Now sporting a 6-1 record, Benoit returns at MFC 37 on Friday in the promotion’s first bantamweight showdown against fellow up and comer Anthony Birchak (9-1) in Edmonton, Canada, live on AXS TV. The fight was even bumped up to main event status when the original battle for the vacant MFC heavyweight champion had to be scrapped.

“Anthony comes to bang every time and he’s definitely not scared to fight,” said Benoit. “He’s a little wild, I think, but he swings hard, and that’s what promoters and matchmakers want. He’s very aggressive, but he’s got a lot of holes in his game and I can see those holes very easily and I’m going to do my best to expose them.

“I asked for this fight when I saw he signed with the MFC. He’s got a good record, is a real solid opponent, and is up there with me in the rankings. But I think it’s a bad match-up for him and a good match-up for me, and all the work that I’ve put in is definitely going to pay off.”

Not only is this bout important for the history of the MFC, being it’s first major bout at 135 pounds, but it also could prove to be a watershed moment for both fighters’ careers with all the hype surrounding it.

“We’ve been having our little Twitter battles and there’s been a lot of interviews with us talking smack to each other and I think it’s really great for us,” said Benoit. “It’s exposing us so much more to everyone all over the world and it’s going to be the most high-profile fight I’ve ever had and I really want to shine.

“I want everybody to see what I’m all about and really show my potential in this fight.”

Smolka not content being just a 'contender'

Louis Smolka still dwells on his loss in 2014. Now, riding a four-fight win streak, Smolka is not content just being a contender. He wants to be one of the best of all time. read news >>

Luque Replaces Good at UFC 205

• a day ago

Currently sporting a three-fight winning streak in which he has finished each victory before the final horn, former Ultimate Fighter standout Vicente Luque has now accepted a spot on the historic UFC read news >>

Dan Henderson explains what winning a UFC title means for his legacy

Dan Henderson's place in history is already set but adding a UFC title would be huge read news >>

UFC 205 tickets on sale this week, and $1,506 gets you cageside for Conor McGregor's bid at history

Tickets are on sale this week for UFC 205, the promotion’s long-awaited debut at New York’s Madison Square Garden, and the lineup is stacked.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Insists He Won't Vacate Featherweight Title After UFC 205

Conor McGregor will have his chance to make history at UFC 205, where he will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title, and fight to become the first person to hold two UFC belts at the read news >>

UFC 205 Is the Greatest Card Ever Assembled in MMA History

Every caveat, every jinx protection applies. But it must be said. Barring injuries or failed drug tests or spilled salt or one open umbrella too many inside UFC headquarters, UFC 205, the first UFC e read news >>

History in the making? Conor McGregor opens as favorite over Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205

Conor McGregor was supposed to have a chance at history in March. He’ll get it in November, instead, on what could be the biggest event ever for the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 204 results: Michael Bisping keeps belt with decision over Dan Henderson in classic brawl

MANCHESTER, England – History nearly repeated itself on two occasions when Dan Henderson dropped UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping to the canvas in their rematch seven years in the making.Filed read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Michael Bisping and UFC 204's other winning fighters?

with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 204’s winning fighters.Filed un read news >>

UFC 204 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 204 in Manchester, England, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reaction read news >>