Ryan BenoitAfter three wins in his first four fights, bantamweight prospect Ryan “Baby Face” Benoit was off to a good start. But it’s been in his last three fights that he’s really blossomed.

Benoit credits his surge to approaching his striking differently, as well as raising the level all around on his individual skills.

“I went down to Mexico a little bit and trained for about a month at (boxing light-middleweight world champion) Canelo (Alvarez’s) gym,” said Benoit. “And when I came back I started training with Jesus Chavez and it’s definitely opened my eyes a lot to a different way of striking.

“Boxing is a completely different game and I respect boxers a lot. I’ve really worked it into my game. And I’ve also worked with a lot of really good Muay Thai guys over the past year. To be in that type of environment has helped me be able to compete at a high level.”

Benoit pointed to his recent results as proof that all the effort he’s put forth has been worth it.

“The work I’ve put in has really paid off, because I fought three times last year and they all ended in the first round pretty quickly. I think that little transition and change has made the biggest effect. Wanting to be the best at every specific category of fighting has the biggest difference as a whole in my game.”

Now sporting a 6-1 record, Benoit returns at MFC 37 on Friday in the promotion’s first bantamweight showdown against fellow up and comer Anthony Birchak (9-1) in Edmonton, Canada, live on AXS TV. The fight was even bumped up to main event status when the original battle for the vacant MFC heavyweight champion had to be scrapped.

“Anthony comes to bang every time and he’s definitely not scared to fight,” said Benoit. “He’s a little wild, I think, but he swings hard, and that’s what promoters and matchmakers want. He’s very aggressive, but he’s got a lot of holes in his game and I can see those holes very easily and I’m going to do my best to expose them.

“I asked for this fight when I saw he signed with the MFC. He’s got a good record, is a real solid opponent, and is up there with me in the rankings. But I think it’s a bad match-up for him and a good match-up for me, and all the work that I’ve put in is definitely going to pay off.”

Not only is this bout important for the history of the MFC, being it’s first major bout at 135 pounds, but it also could prove to be a watershed moment for both fighters’ careers with all the hype surrounding it.

“We’ve been having our little Twitter battles and there’s been a lot of interviews with us talking smack to each other and I think it’s really great for us,” said Benoit. “It’s exposing us so much more to everyone all over the world and it’s going to be the most high-profile fight I’ve ever had and I really want to shine.

“I want everybody to see what I’m all about and really show my potential in this fight.”

From Around the Web

Means Steps in for Robertson, Faces Sullivan in Newark

Currently riding a three-fight winning streak that includes a UFC 184 stoppage of Dhiego Lima, Albuquerque's Tim Means will make a quick return to the Octagon on Saturday, April 18... read news >>

Morning Report: Ronda Rousey promotes safety and empowerment lobbying for MMA in New York

In Albany lobbying to make MMA legal in New York state, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is doing her best to make it to Madison Square Garden. Bills to legalize MMA in the last remaini read news >>

And everyone was just the same. Hindsight - UFC Fight Night: Maia vs LaFlare in retrospect

Force does make leaders. But you forget one thing: it also destroys them.* For few fighters does that seem more true than Josh Koscheck. Not that he ever quite became a "leader" in the sense of a lon read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Video: 'Gracie Breakdown' for worst stoppage in UFC history, flying triangle, and more from UFC Fight Night 62

There has been several poor stoppages in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) history, but arguably the worst stoppage of all time occurred this past Saturday night (March 21, 2015) in Rio de Janeiro read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

At 37 years old, Demian Maia is still in the hunt for a second shot at a UFC championship. On Saturday, the Brazilian cruised to a victory over the up-and-coming Ryan LaFlare in the UFC Fight Night 6 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 62 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social medi read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare results - Fights to make for main card winners

UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare is in the books and so is the UFC's March schedule. So what's next for the main card winners from last night's show in Rio? Mookie Alexander plays fantasy matchmaker read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 results recap: Next matches to make for 'Maia vs LaFlare' main card winners in Brazil

After an enjoyable UFC Fight Night 62: "Maia vs LaFlare" event, MMAmania.com ponders what is next for the main card winners who picked up victories last Saturday night (March 21, 2015) on FOX Sports read news >>