Rumors and Speculation Swirl About UFC Champion Georges St-Pierre’s Future

• submit to reddit

Georges S-Pierre UFC 167 open workoutUFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre said following his win over Johny Hendricks that he needed to “step away for a little bit,” and at the UFC 167 post-fight press conference that he had personal problems, but didn’t reveal what those problems were.

As you can imagine, rumors and speculation have abounded since he uttered those words.

Celebrity gossip site TMZ.com made GSP’s personal problems much more public on Monday.

Citing an anonymous source close to the situation, the outlet reported that St-Pierre is currently dealing with the declining health of his father, as well as an unwanted pregnancy.

TMZ is not always known for the reliability of its sources, and at least in the case of St-Pierre’s father, it would appear that piece of information was not correct.

St-Pierre’s sister, Myriam, spoke directly to LaPresse.ca, a Canadian news site, denying the accusations about their father’s health. She said that their father was in good health and called for reports to the contrary to stop because it was causing pain for their family.

“I don’t know where this rumor came from, but this is wrong,” she said.

Myriam did not, however, comment on the TMZ report citing an “unwanted pregnancy” as part of St-Pierre’s problems.

Immediately following his UFC 167 win, St-Pierre told UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan in his post-fight interview that he needed to step away from the Octagon for a while. The champ didn’t, however, say how long he would be gone.

“I am going to hang my gloves up for a little bit and make sense of my life,” said St-Pierre. “I have to go away for a little bit at least. Personal things are happening. I have to step away for a bit, that’s all I can say right now.”

UFC President Dana White spoke privately with St-Pierre immediately following the post-fight press conference. Shortly after that conversation, White downplayed the scale of the fighter’s problems to a group of reporters.

“His problems aren’t as big as he thinks they are,” he said.

White wouldn’t reveal what he and St-Pierre talked about, and it is unclear what information St-Pierre shared with his boss.

Even St-Pierre’s trainer, Firas Zahabi, hasn’t unveiled much about St-Pierre’s issues and whether or not he will return to the Octagon.

“Honestly, I have no idea. I’m not inside of Georges’ head,” Zahabi told Fox Sports. “I know Georges is a warrior, but I have no idea. Listen, he’s spent more time inside the Octagon than any other human being. Everybody’s got a limit how long they want to do this for. How many rounds they want to do, how much fight they have in them, and everybody’s got a limit. Georges has literally done more than any man on the planet. Does he still have more? I don’t know, that’s up to him. It’s a really personal thing.”

The only thing that is clear is that there are definitely some issues that St-Pierre is struggling with, but isn’t quite ready to reveal to the world. We are left to wait, wondering what the future holds for the UFC’s greatest welterweight champion.

“Later on, I’ll make a point about that,” St-Pierre said at UFC 167. “Right now I have to go away for a little bit.”

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent. "The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre hasn’t yet committed to returning to active competition in MMA, but if he does indeed stage a comeback, he hopes to face stiffer drug testing on his return.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke with Inside MMA about possibly returning to fighting and his recovery from knee surgery. read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre receiving Tecar Therapy from Dr. Kindy Parmar under Dr. William Kessler's care. The Winback machine seen in the video is housed at Kessler Family Wellness in Southern California, and is courtesy of former UFC heavyweight, and current Bellator star, Cheick Kongo. read news >>

"Rush" left on a high note -- 12 straight wins -- a remarkable achievement that has his former nemesis a bit jealous. After defending his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title for a division-record ninth consecutive time against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in Nov. 2013, Georges St-Pierre announced that he would relinquish his title and take an indefinite leave of absence from mixed martial arts (MMA). Because according to the former champion, the pressure and his battle with obs read news >>

Matt Hughes, who now works as a VP of Athlete Development for the UFC, thinks Georges St-Pierre should just hang up the gloves for good. Georges St-Pierre is still undecided whether he would eventually come back from his extended layoff or not, but a fellow long time UFC welterweight champion had some friendly advice for him. Matt Hughes spoke about St-Pierre, and despite now holding a VP job with the UFC, he thinks one of the promotion's biggest stars should just 'get out' and hang it up for go read news >>

Inaugural welterweight champion and famous trainer, Pat Miletich, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at UFC's Fan Expo. Let's take a look back into his incredible career. After retiring almost eight years ago, feuding with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) head honcho Dana White, and working as a commentator for the organization's biggest competition (at the time), Pat Miletich is finally being inducted into UFC's Hall of Fame this weekend. He must have done somethi read news >>

LAS VEGAS - During his pioneering heyday as the UFC's first welterweight champion, Pat Miletich was usually content to let his work in the cage do the talking for him. So it was only fitting, then, that Miletich's UFC Hall of Fame induction speech was short and sweet. Miletich became the 12th person inducted into the Hall in a Sunday morning ceremony during the UFC Fan Expo at the Mandalay Bay convention center. "I've got great family and great friends," said Miletich, who won the UFC's first we read news >>

Former welterweight champion Pat Miletich became the 12th inductee into the UFC Hall of Fame on Sunday. read news >>