Roy Jones vs Anderson SilvaUFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva would like to fight former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match, and Jones Jr. has expressed interest in a potential bout.

“Maybe after this fight with Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him.  He’s already said that he would fight me also, so that’s something that I would really like to happen,” said Silva on a recent media conference call.  “I feel that his boxing style is one that I’d like to test myself against.  I’ve always been a fan of his, and I just always wanted to test myself against Roy Jones.”

Jones will be in attendance at UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman on Saturday and is talking with UFC president Dana White.

“Roy Jones Jr. is coming (to UFC 162),” said White on Thursday following the UFC 162 pre-fight press conference.

“Well, it makes no sense to me. It’s like these guys when they grew up had their heroes or whatever the deal is, it’s something Anderson wants to do,” said White about a potential match-up.

“Roy and I are talking,” added the UFC president.  Asked if it would be a boxing match if the bout materializes, White said, “Roy and I are talking.”

While Silva has indicated he wants to do a boxing match with Jones, White’s comments alluded to the possibility of an MMA bout. Jones on Friday bolstered that speculation when he commented to Kevin Iole, a leading reporter for MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.

“I’m stunned, but I just got a text from @RealRoyJonesJr and he said he is planning to talk to @danawhite about fighting MMA. Whoa,” tweeted Iole.

Regardless of the discipline, in a recent interview with TMZ.com, the 44-year-old boxer indicated that for the fight to happen it would need to happen soon.

“I don’t like wasting time. I don’t want to talk about something that’s not going to happen so if you want to do it, I would love to do it,” Jones Jr. said to TMZ. “Of course if we’re going to do it shortly, if it’s two, three years down the line, I can’t make no promise. But if we’re going to do it immediately, right away, like after the next fight, then it can happen.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dana White talks Reebok unveiling, Aldo vs. McGregor, Romero's post-fight comments

NEW YORK -- UFC president Dana White talks about Tuesday's Reebok fight kit unveiling, the drama surrounding UFC 189, Yoel Romero's controversial post-fight comments and much more. read news >>

Dana White Says Jose Aldo Will Be Fighting Conor McGregor (Video)

UFC president Dana White talks about the unveiling of the UFC Fight Kits by Reebok, whether or not Jose Aldo will be fighting at UFC 189, and Yoel Romero's comments. read news >>

Ben Rothwell blasts Dana White: 'UFC doesn't give a sh-t about me'

"Big Ben" spitting that fire again! With Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) putting on a record number of shows every year, it's hard for Dana White to attend every single one of them like he was a read news >>

Ben Rothwell tries to get Dana White's attention: 'UFC kind of doesn't give a s--- about me'

Ben Rothwell's evening at UFC Fight Night 68 could scarcely have gone better. The heavyweight contender turned heads with a Darth Vader-like walkout; dazzled in the Octagon with a quick submission of read news >>

Anderson Silva bails on Olympics, awaits punishment for failed UFC drug test

Shocker! (not really) Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Anderson Silva has abandoned his unpopular bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics, a pipe dream that we can file next read news >>

Anderson Silva Abandons Olympic Bid, as Commission Hearing Lingers

No matter the outcome of his drug testing issues in Nevada, it won’t affect Anderson Silva’s participation in the 2016 Olympic Games, because he won't be there. read news >>

Manager: Anderson Silva won’t try out for the 2016 Olympics

Looks like Anderson Silva won’t try out for next year’s Olympic Games after all. The former UFC middleweight champion, and 5th dan black belt in taekwondo, announced in April his desire to represent read news >>

Anderson Silva’s NSAC hearing postponed a third time

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva this past week received a third continuance on his response to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s complaint against him.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva NAC hearing postponed for fourth time

Anderson Silva asks for yet another postponement for his hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission, where he will be judged by his failed drug tests before and after his bout with Nick Diaz at UFC read news >>

Paul Heyman Talks CM Punk's Motivation, Mindset for Signing with UFC

In spite of months of silence, the upcoming MMA debut of Phil Brooks, better known by his professional wrestling moniker CM Punk, remains one of the biggest stories of 2015. Still, many questions rem read news >>