Roy Jones vs Anderson SilvaUFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva would like to fight former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match, and Jones Jr. has expressed interest in a potential bout.

“Maybe after this fight with Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him.  He’s already said that he would fight me also, so that’s something that I would really like to happen,” said Silva on a recent media conference call.  “I feel that his boxing style is one that I’d like to test myself against.  I’ve always been a fan of his, and I just always wanted to test myself against Roy Jones.”

Jones will be in attendance at UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman on Saturday and is talking with UFC president Dana White.

“Roy Jones Jr. is coming (to UFC 162),” said White on Thursday following the UFC 162 pre-fight press conference.

“Well, it makes no sense to me. It’s like these guys when they grew up had their heroes or whatever the deal is, it’s something Anderson wants to do,” said White about a potential match-up.

“Roy and I are talking,” added the UFC president.  Asked if it would be a boxing match if the bout materializes, White said, “Roy and I are talking.”

While Silva has indicated he wants to do a boxing match with Jones, White’s comments alluded to the possibility of an MMA bout. Jones on Friday bolstered that speculation when he commented to Kevin Iole, a leading reporter for MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.

“I’m stunned, but I just got a text from @RealRoyJonesJr and he said he is planning to talk to @danawhite about fighting MMA. Whoa,” tweeted Iole.

Regardless of the discipline, in a recent interview with TMZ.com, the 44-year-old boxer indicated that for the fight to happen it would need to happen soon.

“I don’t like wasting time. I don’t want to talk about something that’s not going to happen so if you want to do it, I would love to do it,” Jones Jr. said to TMZ. “Of course if we’re going to do it shortly, if it’s two, three years down the line, I can’t make no promise. But if we’re going to do it immediately, right away, like after the next fight, then it can happen.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Demian Maia talks Robbie Lawler offer, title-shot hopes and desired Anderson Silva rematch

SAO PAULO – Demian Maia was sitting cageside when UFC 205’s co-headliner between champ Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson was, much to his dismay, declared a draw. He’s now analyzing his options.File read news >>

Robert Whittaker: Fight Night Melbourne Warrior Code Video | MMAWeekly.com

Robert Whittaker loves to fight and he talks about the lifestyle in this edition of Warrior Code. Whittaker takes on Derek Brunson at UFC Melbourne. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Conor McGregor Relinquishing Featherweight Belt

Conor McGregor made history at UFC 205 when he became a two-division champion by virtue of his lightweight title victory over Eddie Alvarez, but he relinquished his featherweight belt on Nov. 26. On read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson has some bad news for fellow flyweights

LAS VEGAS – As Demetrious Johnson inches up on Anderson Silva's all-time record of 10 consecutive UFC title defenses, the prevailing wisdom has suggested he'd eventually best the mark and move on to read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson targets Las Vegas for attempt to tie Anderson Silva's record

LAS VEGAS – UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson suffered a grade two LCL tear – prior to his ninth title defense at The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale – and will take some time off to heal his knee be read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Wants to Take On Anderson Silva's Record (TUF 24 Finale video) | MMAWeekly.com

After Demetrious Johnson took the win over Tim Elliott at the TUF 24 Finale, he said that he wanted to return to Sin City to challenge Anderson Silva's record. read news >>

TUF 24 Finale post-fight facts: Champ Demetrious Johnson closes in on Anderson Silva's record

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson again displayed why he’s MMA’s top pound-for-pound fighter when he defeated Tim Elliott in the TUF 24 headliner. In the post-event facts, we discuss the sign read news >>

After asking Dana White for another shot, Jamie Moyle doesn't disappoint at TUF 24 Finale

LAS VEGAS – Earlier this year, Jamie Moyle saw her first shot at the UFC slip by her with a controversial loss on Season 23 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jorge Masvidal: 'I've Got Three Times The Heart of Anybody at Welterweight' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jorge Masvidal talks to the media about his TUF 24 Finale win over Jake Ellenberger, the strange ending and having more heart than anyone in the division. read news >>

Dana White 'a little shocked' 'Cowboy' Cerrone didn't call before involvement with MMA Athletes Association

• a day ago

UFC President Dana White said he isn’t upset with the fighters who decided to get involved with the MMA Athletes Association (MMAAA, but expected a bit of a heads up from at least one name involved.F read news >>