Roy Jones vs Anderson SilvaUFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva would like to fight former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match, and Jones Jr. has expressed interest in a potential bout.

“Maybe after this fight with Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him.  He’s already said that he would fight me also, so that’s something that I would really like to happen,” said Silva on a recent media conference call.  “I feel that his boxing style is one that I’d like to test myself against.  I’ve always been a fan of his, and I just always wanted to test myself against Roy Jones.”

Jones will be in attendance at UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman on Saturday and is talking with UFC president Dana White.

“Roy Jones Jr. is coming (to UFC 162),” said White on Thursday following the UFC 162 pre-fight press conference.

“Well, it makes no sense to me. It’s like these guys when they grew up had their heroes or whatever the deal is, it’s something Anderson wants to do,” said White about a potential match-up.

“Roy and I are talking,” added the UFC president.  Asked if it would be a boxing match if the bout materializes, White said, “Roy and I are talking.”

While Silva has indicated he wants to do a boxing match with Jones, White’s comments alluded to the possibility of an MMA bout. Jones on Friday bolstered that speculation when he commented to Kevin Iole, a leading reporter for MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.

“I’m stunned, but I just got a text from @RealRoyJonesJr and he said he is planning to talk to @danawhite about fighting MMA. Whoa,” tweeted Iole.

Regardless of the discipline, in a recent interview with TMZ.com, the 44-year-old boxer indicated that for the fight to happen it would need to happen soon.

“I don’t like wasting time. I don’t want to talk about something that’s not going to happen so if you want to do it, I would love to do it,” Jones Jr. said to TMZ. “Of course if we’re going to do it shortly, if it’s two, three years down the line, I can’t make no promise. But if we’re going to do it immediately, right away, like after the next fight, then it can happen.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dana White talks Reebok unveiling, Aldo vs. McGregor, Romero's post-fight comments

NEW YORK -- UFC president Dana White talks about Tuesday's Reebok fight kit unveiling, the drama surrounding UFC 189, Yoel Romero's controversial post-fight comments and much more. read news >>

Dana White Says Jose Aldo Will Be Fighting Conor McGregor (Video)

UFC president Dana White talks about the unveiling of the UFC Fight Kits by Reebok, whether or not Jose Aldo will be fighting at UFC 189, and Yoel Romero's comments. read news >>

'Stitch' Duran on his UFC firing: '[Dana White] didn't have the balls to call me directly'

Former UFC cutman Jacob 'Stitch' Duran talks about his recent firing over his Reebok remarks, Dana White, and his plans to continue working in boxing and seek work with other MMA promotions. By now y read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Ousting Dana White, Drug Testing, Anderson Silva's Return

• 19 hours ago

In my former life, I was a tech journalist, covering the wild world of Silicon Valley and the developing culture of Web 2.0. Most of you will have no idea what that sentence means, but I'll put it th read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Jonas Bilharinho

Jonas Bilharinho talks about Jose Aldo's health status heading into UFC 189. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - BJ Penn

BJ Penn talks about his induction into the UFC Hall of Fame and retirement life. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Frankie Edgar

Frankie Edgar talks about not being chosen as plan B should Jose Aldo pull out of UFC 189. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Marc Ratner

UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner talks about the latest disappointment involving MMA in New York. read news >>

Dana White on Reebok roll-out: 'Everybody is happy with this'

To hear the UFC brass tell it, everybody is head over heels with the new Reebok UFC fight wear. read news >>

Paulo Filho talks cocaine addiction, believes Jon Jones will go back to it 'sooner or later'

Former WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho talks about how his substance abuse affected his career. He also believes Jon Jones will have a relapse. Paulo Filho was one of the most promising middlew read news >>