Rory MacDonald reinjured; trainer says UFC welterweight won't rush back again


rory-macdonald-9.jpgMONTREAL – Saturday could have been Rory MacDonald’s coming-out party. Instead, he’ll be watching UFC 158 from the seats.

MacDonald (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) was supposed to fight Carlos Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in a rematch at UFC 158, which takes place at Bell Centre in Montreal, MacDonald’s home training ground.

But a neck injury took him out of the fight – and now he will be sidelined longer than hoped after aggravating the injury by returning to training too quickly. Canada’s Sportsnet first reported the development, and Tristar Gym head Firas Zahabi on Wednesday confirmed MacDonald’s reinjury to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Zahabi, who is the head coach and trainer for MacDonald, as well as UFC 158 welterweight champion headliner Georges St-Pierre, told MMAjunkie.com that MacDonald’s aggravated injury was a result of the fighter trying to return too soon.

“I don’t want to make any commitments to (how long he’ll be out) because I don’t want to rush his injury,” Zahabi said. “That’s what happened the first time. He got injured during the Condit camp, and they told us it would take two weeks. We took a week off, and he got reinjured. We should’ve done the full two weeks. We should’ve been more mature about it. We tried to rush the process, and that’s what happened.

“The second time around, I don’t want to make the same mistake. I don’t want to rush the process in any way.”

MacDonald called out Condit following his win over B.J. Penn in December at UFC on FOX 5, looking for a rematch to avenge the lone loss of his career.

MacDonald was on his way to a win over Condit in just his second UFC fight, which took place at UFC 115 nearly three years ago. But late in the third round, he was stopped by strikes with just seven seconds left in the fight.

Since that loss, the highly touted Canadian, who turns 24 in July, has wins over Nate Diaz, Mike Pyle, Che Mills and Penn. A win over Condit would have given him five straight and would have been the biggest of his career, likely putting him squarely in the title hunt at 170 pounds – where his teammate and friend St-Pierre has a long run as champion.

Zahabi said MacDonald’s youthful enthusiasm toward training perhaps needs to be curtailed a little to avoid incidents like this one.

“He’s bummed out, but I told him, ‘Quit worrying. It’s going to happen. You’ve just got to train more intelligently,’” Zahabi said. “We always go into practice saying, ‘OK, we’re only going to do this amount,’ and we always wind up doing more because he just wants to do more. But when your body cools down, you realize you did too much. I’ve got to try to teach him that and make him realize what’s going on.

“It’s a vicious cycle that keeps happening. Once he realizes what’s happening all the time, that’s it’s costing him more time, it’s not saving him any time.”

UFC 158, featuring a main event between St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, has a main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

For more on UFC 158, as well as the rest of the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Earlier this month, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White named The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum as one of the next contenders for the welterweight title, curr read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 13 views

A pivotal fight between welterweight contenders Rory MacDonald and Hector Lombard has been removed from the UFC 186 fight card. read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC welterweight contenders Rory MacDonald and Hector Lombard not only lost their UFC 186 co-headlining slot, but they also lost the matchup itself.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 6 views

Now we know why Hector Lombard vs. Rory MacDonald has been scrapped, and it involves yet another drug test failure. There was plenty of confusion as to why the original UFC 186 co-main event between read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard didn't know why his fight with Rory MacDonald was cancelled, but now it's been revealed that he'd tested positive for steroids at UFC 182 in January. Demetrious Johnso read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 2 views

Now, it's just one less contender in front of "Red King's" road to the title. You can't say Rory MacDonald isn't game. After hearing that his bout against Hector Lombard had been scratched from the U read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 2 views

Rory MacDonald will challenge Robbie Lawler for the UFC welterweight title on July 11th at UFC 189 in Las Vegas. The next welterweight title fight is set. At today's UFC press conference that was app read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 110 views

Rory MacDonald is getting his title shot after all. The Canadian star will take on UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler with the belt on the line in the co-main event of UFC 189 on July 11 in Las read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 1 views

Robbie Lawler will defend his UFC welterweight title against Rory MacDonald July 11 at UFC 189, according to UFC President Dana White. White announced the news Wednesday during a press conference in read news >>