Rory MacDonald Zeroed in on BJ Penn, Would “Love to Fight” Nick Diaz Next

Rory MacDonald at UFC 129There seems to a be a line forming of fighters that want to welcome Nick Diaz back to the Octagon when he’s eligible to return in 2013.

Former Ultimate Fighter competitor Josh Koscheck has called for a fight with Diaz as soon as he can get licensed again, and now you can add Rory MacDonald to that list as well.

Now, MacDonald isn’t calling out Diaz, especially considering the fact that he still has to face B.J. Penn on Dec. 8 at UFC on Fox 5, but when asked about facing the Stockton, Calif., bad boy, the young Canadian isn’t backing down from the challenge.

“I would fight him,” MacDonald said about facing Diaz. “(He comes back ) in February, and I might be ready to fight in like March or something like that. He might be my next fight after B.J., you never know how it works.”

Diaz has never been a quiet one when speaking his mind about potential opponents, and that includes UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who is one of MacDonald’s teammates.

The talk doesn’t motivate MacDonald to face Diaz, however, it’s more about the challenge of the fight. As a matter of fact, MacDonald gets why Diaz says what he says.

“I don’t think there’s a target on people who talk. That’s the fight game, you’ve got to pump up the fights,” MacDonald stated.

If there is any additional momentum behind a possible MacDonald/Diaz pairing at some point down the road it could be a past fight that would put family pride on the line.

MacDonald soundly thumped Nate Diaz a couple of fights ago, and it’s an easy sell to put him in the cage with the elder Diaz brother looking for a little bit of revenge. Whatever the idea behind the fight would be, MacDonald is all for it.

“We’ll see, I’d love to fight him,” MacDonald said.

First things first, however, MacDonald will face B.J. Penn at UFC on Fox 5, and Diaz will wait until after Feb. 2 to re-apply for a fight license after his one-year suspension is lifted for testing positive for marijuana.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

And the mixed martial arts (MMA) community just breathed a collective sigh of relief. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Nick Diaz, who will make a few extra trips to the hotel buffet read news >>

"I'm in the 'hunt' mode. I feel like right now in my last couple of fights, I'm really hungry. I'm really focused. I'm here for the kill. I'm coming for the belt and I'm going to demolish everyone I read news >>

Before Rory MacDonald healdines UFC Fight Night 54 on Saturday, watch his “Fight of the Night” battle against Demian Maia earlier this year at UFC 170.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

When the UFC touches down in Halifax, Nova Scotia this Saturday, they are bringing with them the fight that may determine the next contender for the welterweight title. No. 2-ranked Rory MacDonald ta read news >>

Before his headliner against Rory MacDonald on Saturday, check out Tarec Saffiedine’s award-winning UFC debut fight in full.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

What could victory mean for Rory MacDonald, Tarec Saffiedine, Gunnar Nelson, and Rick Story ahead of their respective headlining fights this weekend (Sat., Oct. 4, 2014) in Halifax and Stockholm? We read news >>

Rory MacDonald and Tarec Saffiedine headline this weekend's card in Nova Scotia, Canada. The Line-Up Lightweight Daron Cruickshank vs. Anthony Njokuani Lightweight Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Jake Lind read news >>

Talented strikers Rory MacDonald and Tarec Saffiedine collide in a potential title eliminator at UFC Fight Night 54 this Saturday (Oct. 4, 2014) at the Scotiabank Centre, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Can read news >>

Looking to bounce back from a loss, top welterweight contender Rory MacDonald stayed focused on his opponent, Demian Maia, at UFC 170. read news >>