After suffering a cut over his eye in early August, Rory MacDonald is expected to resume sparring soon, according to trainer Firas Zahabi.

“He’s not able to spar for another two weeks,” Zahabi said on the Sept. 9 episode of the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “That’s what they’re telling me right now. His cut is still very pink. He’s not even able to do jiu-jitsu. He can just do technique at this point.”

MacDonald will fight B.J. Penn on Dec. 8 at UFC on Fox 5. The bout had been scheduled for Sept. 22 at UFC 152 prior to MacDonald’s injury.

“He was sparring, looking really good, really peaking in his training, being very dominant in practice,” Zahabi said. “I was really happy with him, and unfortunately somebody in our sparring session threw a backfist, which we’re actually not allowed to throw in sparring. It caught Rory a bit by surprise. The reason why we don’t throw spinning backfists is because you can land with the forearm when you throw it, and that’s kind of what happened. He hit him kind of with the wrist and glove, kind of the forearm, and cut Rory. Rory, he didn’t really feel the strike. It wasn’t a big strike. He was able to take his partner down, but then we saw some blood. Then I looked at Rory and I saw this huge cut. … I knew right then and there the fight was going to be cancelled.”

MacDonald needed 38 stitches, Zahabi explained.

“The surgeon had to stitch the inside, the muscle, then the outside and then there’s an eyebrow also,” he said. “There’s three layers of stitches they had to do.”

The verdict was no contact for at least a month, which would have severely hindered MacDonald’s ability to prepare for a fighter of Penn’s caliber. There was also the danger of the cut reopening in the fight, should MacDonald have been allowed to compete Sept. 22.

“Rory actually really wanted to continue with the fight,” Zahabi said. “He didn’t want to take no for an answer. He didn’t want to even consider not doing the fight. I actually had to calm him down a little bit and bring in his managers and all sit down and kind of have a rational, mature discussion about it. … It’s part of the game. It sucks to have your fight pulled out from under you so close to the fight, but it’s part of the game. He’s growing and he’s maturing and he understands that now.”

As for the teammate who threw the backfist, he’s still a teammate.

“That guy’s been with me for a long time, about 10 years,” Zahabi said. “He’s a very experienced standup fighter. He helps me prepare my fighters. It was very out of character for him. I always look at reputation. I always look at your history with me. The guy’s never done anything like that in the past and never had any issues in training before. When I asked him why he did it, he told me it just slipped his mind. He’d been drilling it, so it kind of slipped his mind, and I believed him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:43).

Ronda Rousey: Cris Cyborg is 'waiting to be offered enough money to get her ass kicked'

Ronda Rousey put a new spin on the Cris Cyborg situation on Monday. The UFC women's bantamweight champion said in her Reddit AMA that the entire thing with Cyborg is more about money than weight. "Sh read news >>

Luke Barnatt signs with Italian-based Venator FC, will debut in December

After suffering his third straight loss in May against Mark Munoz, Luke Barnatt was issued his release from the UFC. Since that time the 27-year-old British fighter has been in a state of reflection read news >>

Video: Watch MMA Hour live stream HERE feat. Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Diego Sanchez, and more!

Today's (Mon., Aug. 10, 2015) guests include Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Diego Sanchez, Tim Kennedy, Mike Brown, Amir Khan, Luke Barnatt, George Lockhart, and Dave Meltzer, beginning at 1 p.m. ET read news >>

The MMA Hour with Rory MacDonald, Tyron Woodley, Diego Sanchez, Tim Kennedy, Mike Brown, Luke Barnatt, George Lockhart,

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life. Below is a rundown of Monday's show: 1:00 p.m. ET -- Our own Dave Meltzer will stop by to discuss the latest MMA news. 1:25 p.m. -- Tim Kennedy will read news >>

Dustin Poirier says cutting back on sparring has helped in his resurgence

On Oct. 25, Dustin Poirier will once again brush up against the Irish. Only, this time instead of fighting a superstar Irishman in Las Vegas he’ll be fighting the guy who last beat the superstar in D read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Dustin Ortiz pounds out Willie Gates in third

NASHVILLE – Early on, Tennessee native Dustin Ortiz made it clear what he thought about Willie Gates’ ground game, which wasn’t much.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Latest CM Punk update: Watch video of UFC rookie sparring, grappling ahead of (eventual) Octagon debut

"I definitely don't want to wait too long. I understand all the criticism. Here I am with you interviewing me, they're making me do media, all this stuff. Eventually you're sick of talking about it a read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC 191: Johnson vs. Dodson Early Fight Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 190 and UFC 191 are polar opposites. UFC 190 was big on names, but short on actual title relevance. Old favorites and struggling vets were fighting for little more than pride. Even the most dieha read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Shogun Rua Decisions Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua overcame some early adversity to win a unanimous decision win over Rogerio Nogueira in the UFC 190 co-main event on Saturday. read news >>