After losing a debatable split decision to Hatsu Hioki in October, George Roop will look to bounce back Jan. 28 when he takes on Cub Swanson at UFC on Fox 2.

Ahead of the bout, Roop joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, featherweight champion Jose Aldo and more.

On Swanson: “I think he’s a great opponent. I think he’s a great fighter really. He’s a great athlete. He’s very well rounded. He’s really good everywhere and not terrible anywhere. He’s going to be a tough opponent and a tough test for me.”

On fighting on Fox: “It’s huge to me. I’d rather fight on the Fox card than even a pay-per-view card. Just the viewers and the new viewers that are going to be watching on Fox too -- it’s going to be really cool. I feel that my fight’s going to make TV. I think Cub Swanson and I, we’re great fighters and we’re very explosive and both of us show up to fight. I think that’s going to make for a great fight. I know everybody always says that, but if you actually look at the fights of Cub Swanson and myself, we show up to fight every single time. You’re guaranteed an exciting fight for this one. Hopefully it makes the Fox card and we’ll get seen by a good 10 million people.”

On whether lightweights moving to featherweight should expect to have an advantage: “Hell no. Absolutely not. I think people might think, ‘Oh, they’re going to be the bigger guy. They’re going to be the stronger guy,’ but I tell you what -- it’s kind of like, I tried fighting down at 135 as well. It’s kind of the same concept. It’s a different game down at 145 pounds. It’s different. The speed is different. The timing is different. The type of guys you’re fighting are more explosive, give you different angles and are going to be quicker than the 155ers. Us at 145, the natural 145ers, we’re just going to have to be more prepared for these guys’ power. I welcome any 155ers to come down. I’ll be more than willing to step up and fight them and show them that they’ll want to go back up to their natural weight class.”

On where he stands in his career right now: “I should be on a two-fight winning streak right now over some big competitors. I feel like I have propelled my game very much in the last year or two and I’m coming into my prime.”

On featherweight champion Jose Aldo: “I don’t think Jose Aldo is indestructible. I do think he’s beatable. I just think these guys need to put more pressure on him and drag him into deep water. I feel that people give the champ too much respect. They go in there and they try to feel him out, and that plays right into Jose Aldo’s hands because he gets to pick you apart with those leg kicks and his dynamic striking. I feel like you need to push him up against the cage. I think Kenny Florian did a good job in showing that and so did Mark Hominick in just pressing the pace on him and staying in the fight with him and making it into a dogfight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 49:57).

John Lineker vs. John Dodson: Joe Rogan Preview |

Joe Rogan previews the UFC Portland main event between two of the most exciting UFC bantamweights when John Lineker takes on John Dodson. read news >>

The 10: Big name fights coming in October

Three continents, three huge fight cards - we look at the best action coming to the Octagon this month including John Lineker vs John Dodson, Michael Bisping vs Dan Henderson and BJ Penn vs Ricardo L read news >>

John Lineker Takes Split Decision Over John Dodson at UFC Portland |

A bantamweight fight between third-ranked John Lineker and tenth-ranked John Dodson headlined Fight Night Portland on Saturday and lived up to its expectations. read news >>

John Lineker: 'I Landed the Harder Shots' (UFC Portland Video) |

John Lineker talks about his UFC Portland split decision win over John Lineker following the event. He also discusses missing weight and getting a title shot. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social media plat read news >>

Despite Losing Close Career Finale, Dan Henderson Goes out as Only 'Hendo' Can

When it was over, when the final horn sounded and the lights went up on the Manchester Arena in England, no one could really be sure what they had just witnessed. A 46-year-old man as UFC world middl read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Dan Henderson and UFC 204's other losing fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 204’s losing fighters.Filed und read news >>

UFC 204 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 204 in Manchester, England, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reaction read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson Results and Highlights

UFC 204 was one of the more exciting events in recent memory with just the first and last fights of the night going the distance, exceeding all expectations.Despite several injuries and losing one bo read news >>

UFC 206 Fight Card Grows, Adding Exciting Featherweight Fight |

The UFC 206 fight card for Toronto is coming together quickly, as the UFC on Thursday added an exciting featherweight match-up to the card. read news >>