After losing a debatable split decision to Hatsu Hioki in October, George Roop will look to bounce back Jan. 28 when he takes on Cub Swanson at UFC on Fox 2.

Ahead of the bout, Roop joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, featherweight champion Jose Aldo and more.

On Swanson: “I think he’s a great opponent. I think he’s a great fighter really. He’s a great athlete. He’s very well rounded. He’s really good everywhere and not terrible anywhere. He’s going to be a tough opponent and a tough test for me.”

On fighting on Fox: “It’s huge to me. I’d rather fight on the Fox card than even a pay-per-view card. Just the viewers and the new viewers that are going to be watching on Fox too -- it’s going to be really cool. I feel that my fight’s going to make TV. I think Cub Swanson and I, we’re great fighters and we’re very explosive and both of us show up to fight. I think that’s going to make for a great fight. I know everybody always says that, but if you actually look at the fights of Cub Swanson and myself, we show up to fight every single time. You’re guaranteed an exciting fight for this one. Hopefully it makes the Fox card and we’ll get seen by a good 10 million people.”

On whether lightweights moving to featherweight should expect to have an advantage: “Hell no. Absolutely not. I think people might think, ‘Oh, they’re going to be the bigger guy. They’re going to be the stronger guy,’ but I tell you what -- it’s kind of like, I tried fighting down at 135 as well. It’s kind of the same concept. It’s a different game down at 145 pounds. It’s different. The speed is different. The timing is different. The type of guys you’re fighting are more explosive, give you different angles and are going to be quicker than the 155ers. Us at 145, the natural 145ers, we’re just going to have to be more prepared for these guys’ power. I welcome any 155ers to come down. I’ll be more than willing to step up and fight them and show them that they’ll want to go back up to their natural weight class.”

On where he stands in his career right now: “I should be on a two-fight winning streak right now over some big competitors. I feel like I have propelled my game very much in the last year or two and I’m coming into my prime.”

On featherweight champion Jose Aldo: “I don’t think Jose Aldo is indestructible. I do think he’s beatable. I just think these guys need to put more pressure on him and drag him into deep water. I feel that people give the champ too much respect. They go in there and they try to feel him out, and that plays right into Jose Aldo’s hands because he gets to pick you apart with those leg kicks and his dynamic striking. I feel like you need to push him up against the cage. I think Kenny Florian did a good job in showing that and so did Mark Hominick in just pressing the pace on him and staying in the fight with him and making it into a dogfight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 49:57).

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 72: Tony Ferguson to expedite Josh Thomson's retirement plans in San Diego

After losing to Ben Henderson via razor-thin split decision at UFC on FOX 10, Josh Thomson contemplated retiring from mixed martial arts (MMA). But with the chance of fighting in his home town of San read news >>

Johny Hendricks to GSP: 'Hey, Stay in Retirement'

Johny Hendricks isn’t losing sleep over Georges St-Pierre’s lingering decision of whether to return to the UFC. As far as Big Rigg is concerned, the chapter has closed on the St-Pierre era, and he is read news >>

Rampage Jackson fires back at Bellator after losing at preliminary injunction hearing

Quinton Jackson may not be fighting in the Octagon at UFC 186 anymore, but that doesn't mean he won't be fighting in court. It also means the former UFC light heavyweight champion won't be keeping qu read news >>

Full Fight Video Flashback: ‘Rampage’ Jackson Flattens Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92

After losing the light heavyweight belt, MMA legend 'Rampage' Jackson regained his focus as he battled Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 event in Fairfax, Va., several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out thos read news >>

Al Iaquinta vs. Jorge Masvidal: What We Learned from UFC Fight Night 63 Tilt

The Fight Night 63 co-main event was an exciting lightweight tilt between steely veteran Jorge Masvidal and fast-rising youngster Al Iaquinta. Things started fast and furious, with both men standing read news >>

Al Iaquinta curses out crowd for booing him after split decision win over Jorge Masvidal

Al Iaquinta was happy to get the win. But he was "raging" soon after. After a split decision victory over Jorge Masvidal in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas on Saturday, the fan read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Al Iaquinta wins controversial decision over Jorge Masvidal

Al Iaquinta managed to win a narrow split decision over Jorge Masvidal at UFC Fight Night 63, but he probably didn’t make any new fans as he stormed out of the cage to a chorus of boos.Filed under: N read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 results: Alexander Yakovlev continues Gray Maynard's slide

Gray Maynard was not able to snap his losing skid at UFC Fight Night 63 and lost a unanimous decision to Alexander Yakovlev.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>