After losing a debatable split decision to Hatsu Hioki in October, George Roop will look to bounce back Jan. 28 when he takes on Cub Swanson at UFC on Fox 2.

Ahead of the bout, Roop joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, featherweight champion Jose Aldo and more.

On Swanson: “I think he’s a great opponent. I think he’s a great fighter really. He’s a great athlete. He’s very well rounded. He’s really good everywhere and not terrible anywhere. He’s going to be a tough opponent and a tough test for me.”

On fighting on Fox: “It’s huge to me. I’d rather fight on the Fox card than even a pay-per-view card. Just the viewers and the new viewers that are going to be watching on Fox too -- it’s going to be really cool. I feel that my fight’s going to make TV. I think Cub Swanson and I, we’re great fighters and we’re very explosive and both of us show up to fight. I think that’s going to make for a great fight. I know everybody always says that, but if you actually look at the fights of Cub Swanson and myself, we show up to fight every single time. You’re guaranteed an exciting fight for this one. Hopefully it makes the Fox card and we’ll get seen by a good 10 million people.”

On whether lightweights moving to featherweight should expect to have an advantage: “Hell no. Absolutely not. I think people might think, ‘Oh, they’re going to be the bigger guy. They’re going to be the stronger guy,’ but I tell you what -- it’s kind of like, I tried fighting down at 135 as well. It’s kind of the same concept. It’s a different game down at 145 pounds. It’s different. The speed is different. The timing is different. The type of guys you’re fighting are more explosive, give you different angles and are going to be quicker than the 155ers. Us at 145, the natural 145ers, we’re just going to have to be more prepared for these guys’ power. I welcome any 155ers to come down. I’ll be more than willing to step up and fight them and show them that they’ll want to go back up to their natural weight class.”

On where he stands in his career right now: “I should be on a two-fight winning streak right now over some big competitors. I feel like I have propelled my game very much in the last year or two and I’m coming into my prime.”

On featherweight champion Jose Aldo: “I don’t think Jose Aldo is indestructible. I do think he’s beatable. I just think these guys need to put more pressure on him and drag him into deep water. I feel that people give the champ too much respect. They go in there and they try to feel him out, and that plays right into Jose Aldo’s hands because he gets to pick you apart with those leg kicks and his dynamic striking. I feel like you need to push him up against the cage. I think Kenny Florian did a good job in showing that and so did Mark Hominick in just pressing the pace on him and staying in the fight with him and making it into a dogfight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 49:57).

From Around the Web

UFC Announce Czech Broadcast Partnership

UFC® EMEA today announced a new and exciting broadcast partnership with NOVA Sport which will see UFC events broadcast for the first time in Czech Republic and Slovakia. read news >>

'Mayhem' Miller arrested following alleged fight with police officers

"Mayhem" is in trouble with the police again. Jason Miller, who was arrested in October after live-tweeting a police standoff at his home, was taken into custody by cops Saturday night after allegedl read news >>

For Bobby Moffett, Nothing But an Exciting Finish Will Do at RFA 24 | MMAWeekly.com

Trying to move into the position of the favorite in big fights, Bobby "Wolfman" Moffett expects nothing less than an exciting finish at Friday's RFA 24. read news >>

UFC 184 and NASCAR Lead Fox Sports 1 to TV Ratings Success | MMAWeekly.com

FOX Sports 1 leveraged an exciting day of NASCAR racing and UFC 184 coverage to an impressive top-10 mark in viewership on Saturday. read news >>

Morning Report: Joe Rogan says Ronda Rousey 'might beat 50 percent' of UFC's male bantamweights

In October, UFC commentator Joe Rogan said he'd have 'no problem' with Rousey, or any woman for that matter, fighting a man of equal weight. Speaking with ESPN's Dan Lebatard prior to UFC 184, Rogan read news >>

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

UFC 184 results: Holly Holm wins split decision over Raquel Pennington in Octagon debut

After a long, circuitous path to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), former female professional boxing sensation, Holly Holm, made her Octagon debut tonight (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015) against Raquel Pen read news >>

UFC 184 results: Holly Holm takes split decision over Raquel Pennington

It wasn't the blowout that some were expecting, but Holly Holm picked up a split decision win over Raquel Pennington in the UFC 184 co-main event. Holly Holm had a lot of hype coming into the UFC, an read news >>

UFC 184 prelims results: Fullen, Lararo pick up split decision wins

Both of the Fight Pass preliminary bouts on the UFC 184 card went to split decisions, with Masio Fullen and Valmir Lazaro picking up wins. The two Fight Pass bouts that kicked off UFC 184 in Los Ange read news >>