Aaron Riley has never won back-to-back fights in the UFC. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Well-traveled lightweight Aaron Riley takes on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 13 winner Tony Ferguson on the UFC 135 “Jones vs. Rampage” undercard this Saturday in Denver in a classic matchup of up-and-coming prospect versus battle-tested veteran.

By the time Ferguson made his professional mixed martial arts debut in April 2008, Riley already had 36 fights under his belt, including bouts against Bellator Fighting Championships 155-pound titleholder Eddie Alvarez, Michihiro Omigawa, Spencer Fisher, Chris Lytle, Robbie Lawler and Yves Edwards. However, Riley has no intention of serving as a stepping stone for Ferguson.

“I’ve watched some tape [of Ferguson],” Riley told Sherdog.com. “He’s got grappling skills, but seems to prefer standing up and has some unorthodox striking skills. He is a tough guy, but I’ve studied the tape and we’ve got a game plan. I just have to attack his weaknesses and bring my strong suits to the table.”

Riley, who has 19 finishes -- five knockouts and 14 submissions -- among his 30 victories, said he will not be fazed if the fight stays on the feet or it goes to the ground.

“I feel pretty comfortable in all areas,” said Riley. “I have enough experience to know what to do in every situation. I feel like I can make it difficult for him in a lot of different ways.”

The Riley-Ferguson fight will be aired on Spike TV’s broadcast of the UFC 135 prelims, along with a middleweight bout pitting Tim Boetsch against Nick Ring. The card is headlined by a light heavyweight title scrap featuring defending champion Jon Jones and former titleholder Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.

Riley has alternated wins and losses in his last four contests inside the Octagon, most recently capturing a unanimous decision victory over Joe Brammer at UFC 114 in May 2010. The Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts product said he understands a loss to Ferguson could mean his walking papers.

“I first competed in the UFC at UFC 37 [in May 2002],” said Riley. “I came back again in 2006, and both times were on single-fight deals. This time, I’ve been here since November 2008 and I want to stay here. Everybody knows the UFC is the name brand for mixed martial arts, and great things have happened because of them. There’s no place I’d rather be.”

As his lengthy career has progressed -- Riley’s professional debut came all the way back in July 1997 -- the process of preparing for a fight has changed greatly for the 30-year-old native of Tell City, Ind.

“My training has definitely evolved,” said Riley. “I’m smarter about things now. After a hard session, I know not to push myself too hard or else I’ll get hurt. My camps aren’t as intense, but I’m still training hard. I’m just training smarter and getting more out of it.”

Ferguson is coming off a first-round knockout of Ramsey Nijem at “The Ultimate Fighter 13” Finale in June and has won four straight fights. The knockout was chosen as the “Knockout of the Night” and gave “El Cucuy” an extra $40,000 in bonus money. However, if Riley has his way, Ferguson will not be getting any bonuses after their fight.

“Whenever you’ve been in a sport as long as I’ve been in MMA, there’s going to be some burnout,” said Riley, “but I’m really feeling motivated for this fight. I’ve had a good camp. There’s a lot of guys [at Jackson’s] getting ready for fights, and there are so many good fighters to train with. It’s been a long, tough road for me with some ups and downs, but I’m pretty excited about moving forward.”

TUF 21 Finale pre-fight facts: Ellenberger efficient with takedown attacks and defense

Another season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series comes to a conclusion on Sunday when The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. Check out some pre-fight read news >>

UFC 189 and The Ultimate Fighter Finale: Live press conference video stream

I'm not sure what else there is to say about UFC 189 that hasn't already been said, but let's be honest, we're all just here for the staredowns. Speaking of which, I can't wait to see the height diff read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale Preliminary Card Predictions

International Fight Week is upon us, and one of the biggest cards of the year is set to go down. That's right, UFC 189 is here and features two title fights. That said, the end of another season of T read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 12

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s final episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 12 Recap and Results

The final episode of The Ultimate Fighter 21 means the final 100 points are up for grabs. That's right, winner takes all in the final fight for gym pride between the Blackzilians and American Top Tea read news >>

Hayder Hassan vs. Kamaru Usman booked for TUF 21 Finale on July 12

Season 21 of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) has officially wrapped (recap here), and American Top Team (ATT) will send breakout star Hayder Hassan into the live finale against Blackzilians top pick Kamar read news >>

Sunday's TUF 21 Finale card complete with Hassan-Usman, Graves-Luque

The final episode of “The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians” aired tonight. With that, the lineup is set for Sunday’s TUF 21 Finale in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 12 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians'

Episode No. 12 of “The Ultimate Fighter 21? opens with Dana White setting the scene for the final episode of the season. The teams are tied and the final 100-point fight will determine the winner.Fil read news >>

Chad Mendes: Let Conor McGregor focus on money ‘while I’m beating a hole in his face’

LAS VEGAS -- Stepping into a title fight on less than a few weeks' notice typically isn't the most ideal situation for a UFC fighter. But UFC 189 isn't your typical title fight, and Conor McGregor is read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>