In mixed martial arts, there is no feeling quite like that of the emphatic knockout. Just ask Rick Hawn, who authored the eighth such finish of his career by dropping Ricardo Tirloni with a right hand in the first round of his lightweight debut at Bellator 62.

“Knocking somebody out is just an instant surge; it’s an adrenaline rush,” Hawn recently told Sherdog.com. “It’s an overwhelming feeling of excitement. Once I get inside that cage, the adrenaline takes over. Adrenaline will do some really crazy things to guys. I always try to be calm in life and when I fight, but when you get a finish like that it’s just a complete release. All of the adrenaline is running through your body and it’s just a really awesome feeling. Everything comes together right at that moment.”

Hawn, who faces Lloyd Woodard in a 155-pound semifinal at Bellator 66 on Friday, believes he is just barely beginning to tap into his potential on the feet.

“I feel like my power has always been there, but my technique is a lot better now. The last time I fought against Jay Hieron was like 10 months ago, so I have improved a lot since that last fight,” he said. “It’s all about how you hit someone. A lot of it has to do with having that perfect timing, and that comes from training.”

That split-decision loss to Hieron came in Bellator’s Season 4 welterweight finals and ultimately proved to be the judo Olympian’s last bout at 170 pounds. While he says that dropping weight was the right career move, he also gained valuable experience from the defeat.

“I came up short in the finals, but that just made me an even better fighter today,” Hawn said. “Now I know what it’s going to take to win the whole tournament. Now that I have been there and I have been close, I know that I have to do even more this time.”

Woodard turned heads by upsetting prohibitive tournament favorite Patricky Freire in the lightweight quarterfinals at Bellator 62, submitting “Pitbull” with a gruesome kimura in round two. It was the first time the Brazilian had been finished and marked Woodard’s 12th victory in 13 fights.

The man known as “Cupcake” has been vocal about getting a chance to avenge his only career loss, a unanimous decision setback at the hands of lightweight champion Michael Chandler more than a year ago. Hawn thinks Woodard is taking a risk by looking too far ahead.

“This fight with Lloyd Woodard is going to be a war,” Hawn said. “I feel like he’s looking past me to get at Michael Chandler, and that’s a huge mistake. He can look past me all he wants. He is going to have a rude awakening once he gets inside that cage.”

According to Alistair Overeem ‘CM Punk is Making a Mistake’ (UFC 203 Video)

Although Alistair Overeem welcomes CM Punk to the UFC, he believes that the former professional wrestler is making a mistake jumping into deep waters. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

Overeem says Miocic enjoying title life too much

Ahead of their heavyweight championship clash at UFC 203, challenger Alistair Overeem thinks champion Stipe Miocic is enjoying the title life too much and he's hungry enough to take the belt on Sept. read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Cory Sandhagen Thinks RFA 43 Opponent Clay Wimer is Someone He Can KO | MMAWeekly.com

After a couple months off, Croy Sandhagen returns to the RFA on Friday in Broomfield, Colo., to take on Clay Wimer in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Gall wants to fight the "sharks" of MMA

Mickey Gall isn't looking past CM Punk at UFC 203 on Saturday. But he admitted he wants the sharks of MMA and the big names in future fights. read news >>

The past and present of Werdum vs Browne

Fabricio Werdum defeated Travis Browne by decision in 2014 that ultimately led to a title shot. On Saturday at UFC 203 the two will meet again in a pivotal rematch. read news >>

Paige VanZant Thinks CM Punk is Too Old for the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant was mostly a beacon of positivity in answering, but she kinda threw shade at 37-year-old CM Punk. read news >>

Derek Brunson Puts Bad Blood Behind Him; It's All Business | MMAWeekly.com

No matter what Uriah Hall thinks, Derek Brunson is ready to put their bad blood behind him. The streaking middleweight has bigger reasons for fighting. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>