In mixed martial arts, there is no feeling quite like that of the emphatic knockout. Just ask Rick Hawn, who authored the eighth such finish of his career by dropping Ricardo Tirloni with a right hand in the first round of his lightweight debut at Bellator 62.

“Knocking somebody out is just an instant surge; it’s an adrenaline rush,” Hawn recently told Sherdog.com. “It’s an overwhelming feeling of excitement. Once I get inside that cage, the adrenaline takes over. Adrenaline will do some really crazy things to guys. I always try to be calm in life and when I fight, but when you get a finish like that it’s just a complete release. All of the adrenaline is running through your body and it’s just a really awesome feeling. Everything comes together right at that moment.”

Hawn, who faces Lloyd Woodard in a 155-pound semifinal at Bellator 66 on Friday, believes he is just barely beginning to tap into his potential on the feet.

“I feel like my power has always been there, but my technique is a lot better now. The last time I fought against Jay Hieron was like 10 months ago, so I have improved a lot since that last fight,” he said. “It’s all about how you hit someone. A lot of it has to do with having that perfect timing, and that comes from training.”

That split-decision loss to Hieron came in Bellator’s Season 4 welterweight finals and ultimately proved to be the judo Olympian’s last bout at 170 pounds. While he says that dropping weight was the right career move, he also gained valuable experience from the defeat.

“I came up short in the finals, but that just made me an even better fighter today,” Hawn said. “Now I know what it’s going to take to win the whole tournament. Now that I have been there and I have been close, I know that I have to do even more this time.”

Woodard turned heads by upsetting prohibitive tournament favorite Patricky Freire in the lightweight quarterfinals at Bellator 62, submitting “Pitbull” with a gruesome kimura in round two. It was the first time the Brazilian had been finished and marked Woodard’s 12th victory in 13 fights.

The man known as “Cupcake” has been vocal about getting a chance to avenge his only career loss, a unanimous decision setback at the hands of lightweight champion Michael Chandler more than a year ago. Hawn thinks Woodard is taking a risk by looking too far ahead.

“This fight with Lloyd Woodard is going to be a war,” Hawn said. “I feel like he’s looking past me to get at Michael Chandler, and that’s a huge mistake. He can look past me all he wants. He is going to have a rude awakening once he gets inside that cage.”

LOL, Conor McGregor is Reportedly Close to Deal to Fight Floyd Mayweather

The internet thinks Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are going to punch each other for money. read news >>

Joe Rogan Comments on Potential Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight

UFC commentator Joe Rogan thinks Conor McGregor has what it takes to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. should the two fight in the future, although he concedes it’s unlikely the two will face off. Speculatio read news >>

Phil Davis Has to Get Past King Mo First, but His Eyes are on the Bellator Belt

Phil Davis has a tough fight in King Mo Lawal ahead of him at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but he can't help but shift his eyes towards the Bellator belt. read news >>

Dana White Calls Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor Fight 'Impossible'

UFC President Dana White thinks a Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight is impractical. White said on ESPN Radio's Russillo & Kanell that the reason he doesn't see the 49-0 Mayweather taking on t read news >>

UFC 198 Embedded, Episode 5: Cris Cyborg Makes Weight, Making Debut Official

On Episode 5 of UFC 198 Embedded, Cris Cyborg dives head-on into her weight cut to 140 pounds and hits the mark at Friday's weigh-in. read news >>

Michael Bisping Talks Luke Rockhold, Anderson Silva Ahead of UFC 199 Title Fight

Michael Bisping thinks “destiny” has handed him the chance to become the UFC middleweight champion as he gears up to face Luke Rockhold on June 4 at UFC 199. An injury to Chris Weidman left the main read news >>

From bullied to fighter, Brazilian Thomas Almeida has been making history in UFC

From a young age when he stood up to a bully, Thomas Almeida has shown he's willing to face challenges head on. read news >>

With Bellator Contract on the Line, Bobby Brents Sees Right Through Shamrock FC Opponent

Bobby Brents isn't looking past Shamrock FC opponent Bubba Grant, but he sees right through him with an eye on a Bellator contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 a Sneaky-Good Card, but with a Really Weird Setup

• a day ago

If Elton John thinks Saturday night’s alright for fighting, then wait until he gets a load of Sunday’s action. UFC Fight Night 88 heads to the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Sunday for an read news >>