In mixed martial arts, there is no feeling quite like that of the emphatic knockout. Just ask Rick Hawn, who authored the eighth such finish of his career by dropping Ricardo Tirloni with a right hand in the first round of his lightweight debut at Bellator 62.

“Knocking somebody out is just an instant surge; it’s an adrenaline rush,” Hawn recently told Sherdog.com. “It’s an overwhelming feeling of excitement. Once I get inside that cage, the adrenaline takes over. Adrenaline will do some really crazy things to guys. I always try to be calm in life and when I fight, but when you get a finish like that it’s just a complete release. All of the adrenaline is running through your body and it’s just a really awesome feeling. Everything comes together right at that moment.”

Hawn, who faces Lloyd Woodard in a 155-pound semifinal at Bellator 66 on Friday, believes he is just barely beginning to tap into his potential on the feet.

“I feel like my power has always been there, but my technique is a lot better now. The last time I fought against Jay Hieron was like 10 months ago, so I have improved a lot since that last fight,” he said. “It’s all about how you hit someone. A lot of it has to do with having that perfect timing, and that comes from training.”

That split-decision loss to Hieron came in Bellator’s Season 4 welterweight finals and ultimately proved to be the judo Olympian’s last bout at 170 pounds. While he says that dropping weight was the right career move, he also gained valuable experience from the defeat.

“I came up short in the finals, but that just made me an even better fighter today,” Hawn said. “Now I know what it’s going to take to win the whole tournament. Now that I have been there and I have been close, I know that I have to do even more this time.”

Woodard turned heads by upsetting prohibitive tournament favorite Patricky Freire in the lightweight quarterfinals at Bellator 62, submitting “Pitbull” with a gruesome kimura in round two. It was the first time the Brazilian had been finished and marked Woodard’s 12th victory in 13 fights.

The man known as “Cupcake” has been vocal about getting a chance to avenge his only career loss, a unanimous decision setback at the hands of lightweight champion Michael Chandler more than a year ago. Hawn thinks Woodard is taking a risk by looking too far ahead.

“This fight with Lloyd Woodard is going to be a war,” Hawn said. “I feel like he’s looking past me to get at Michael Chandler, and that’s a huge mistake. He can look past me all he wants. He is going to have a rude awakening once he gets inside that cage.”

Middleweight Title Bout Headlines ONE: Ascent To Power

Two undefeated Russian middleweights headline ONE: Ascent To Power, as Vitaly Bigdash will be making the first defense of his middleweight belt. read news >>

Rematch on hold: Injury forces Daniel Cormier off UFC 197 headliner vs. Jon Jones

After all the uncertainty of the past week, it appears this month’s highly anticipated rematch won’t be happening after all. But it won’t be for the reason anyone initially thought.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Demian Maia Wants Title Shot if He Defeats Matt Brown at UFC 198

Sixth-ranked welterweight Demian Maia wants a title shot if he gets past his UFC 198 opponent Matt Brown. read news >>

WSOF 30 salaries: Fighter payouts range from $500 to $130,000

Fighters competing at this past weekend’s WSOF 30 event made as much as $130,000 and as little as $500.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

The Question: Did UFC Make a Mistake Booking Jon Jones vs. Ovince Saint Preux?

It’s a story MMA fans have grown distressingly used to hearing—news of a hotly anticipated fight canceled at the 11th hour, followed immediately by the obligatory news of a short-notice replacement. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

Mike Dolce: After coaches meeting, Ronda Rousey plotting return and 'world domination'

This past month, renowned MMA nutritionist Mike Dolce found himself in Los Angeles for a “coaches meeting” with longtime client Ronda Rousey.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Champ Luke Rockhold Thinks Interim Titles are Bulls**t

UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is not a fan of interim championships. In fact, he doesn't think the Jon Jones fight at UFC 197 should be for an interim title. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight