Ricardo Almeida Wins With Injury at UFC 124, Wants to Climb Top 10

• submit to reddit
Ricardo Almeida dropping the elbow on T.J. Grant at UFC 124

Ricardo Almeida dropping the elbow on T.J. Grant at UFC 124

No one could have foreseen the outcome of Ricardo Almeida’s bout with Matt Hughes this past August.

Almeida, considered one of the sport’s best pure practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, lost to Hughes via technical submission, placing Almeida in the unenviable position of having to win his next bout or possibly be out of the UFC.

So it was this past weekend at UFC 124 that Almeida stepped up against T.J. Grant and delivered a solid, dominating performance, keeping his UFC dreams alive in the process.

“It’s the big elephant in the room that I don’t think anybody wants to talk about. You lose two in a row or have two (poor) performances in a row, you can get cut. To me, it’s part of the game, and if T.J. had beaten me and I got cut, I’m fine with that, because that’s the way it’s got to be,” Almeida told MMAWeekly.com.

“You either perform or you don’t, and if you don’t perform, you don’t belong in the UFC. It’s a reality for a lot of fighters, and you’ve just got to make sure that when the fight comes, you’re prepared and ready to do it. I just focus on what I need to do to win fights and the rest should take care of itself.”

Luckily, Almeida was able to avoid such a situation by controlling Grant much of the fight. Still, being the competitor that he is, Almeida isn’t 100-percent happy with his performance.

“I got the win, but I wasn’t really happy that I wasn’t able to finish the fight,” he commented.

“I knew that his guard was going to create a little bit of a stalemate on the ground, (but) I just felt that it was a much higher percentage win when you’re on top of somebody, punching them, so I was pretty safe there and could control the action, so I decided to go there.”

While Grant’s defense was able to extend the fight to a decision, an injury sustained by Almeida may have been the true determining factor to why he wasn’t able to finish.

“I tweaked my knee pretty bad in the second round,” admitted Almeida. “When I had his back I tried to roll out and all his weight came on my knee and it ended up popping.

“So when I finally had a really good position to finish him in the third, I just couldn’t quite control him the way I wanted. Usually I work the body-triangle when I get there, but I couldn’t, so I actually had to grab my foot with my own hand just to keep the same kind of control.”

While an MRI is needed to fully assess the damage to his knee, Almeida believes it is sprained and most likely will not return to action until after February.

Injuries aside, Almeida feels he had a good year overall and has a lot he can build on for 2011.

“I trained pretty hard and got better in every aspect of the game,” he stated. “I had a little setback against Hughes, but I feel technically and physically I’m still improving and it puts me in a good position for the new year to come.

“When I stopped fighting in 2004 in most of the rankings I was ranked No. 2 behind (Matt) Lindland, and my goal now is to get back into the Top 10.”

Having righted the ship, Almeida can now focus on regaining the former heights of his career and more before all is said and done.

“I want to thank the fans, without them we wouldn’t be here; they make the sport what it is,” concluded Almeida. “I want to thank my family, my training partners, and everyone who supports me on a daily basis and believes in me – those are the ones that I fight for.

“Right now I’m focused on getting a couple good wins, fighting some big names, and we’ll take it from there.”

After his first loss in nine fights, Hacran Dias spent 13 months on the shelf dealing with various ailments. His return to the cage came tonight (Sat., June 28, 2014) on the main card of UFC Fight Night 44 in San Antonio, Texas, in a 145-pound showcase against Ricardo Lamas, himself coming off a loss to Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo. Quite the welcome back, no? Dias certainly didn't seem to be suffering from ring rust, walking through some early leg kicks to box Lamas up while landing power s more

Cat Zingano will return to action this fall, but it won’t be in a title fight. Instead, she’ll meet Amanda Nunes at UFC 178 in Las Vegas.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Yosdenis Cedeno was on his way to an exciting fight against Jerrod Sanders before the plug had to be pulled. Hear his thoughts on his win inside. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

Donald Cerrone-Khabib Nurmagomedov was a done deal for UFC 178. Then the dreaded injury bug reared its ugly head once again. more

Thomas Almeida got what he wanted. The Chute Boxe bantamweight told MMAFighting.com last week that he wanted to knock Caio Machado out to win the Legacy FC 135-pound title and sign with the UFC, and that’s exactly what happened. According to sources close to the situation, he signed a deal with the UFC on Tuesday. MMA Premium first reported the news. Almeida stopped Machado with 33 seconds left in the first round to win the Legacy FC gold, improving to 17-0 in MMA with 17 finishes. He got past t more

Recently crowned Legacy Fighting Championships bantamweight king Thomas Almeida is taking his talents to the Octagon. more

UFC bantamweight Alex “Bruce Leeroy” Caceres faces the biggest test of his career at UFC 175, taking on former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber in the night’s featured preliminary bout. The fight will give him the opportunity to establish himself as one of the best 135-pound fighters in the sport. Faber has defeated half of the current Top 10 on the UFC.com rankings, and Caceres understands that some people may be looking past him. Caceres had this to say about his upcoming fight: I’m alw more

Thomas De Almeida, the top bantamweight prospect in MMA and one of the brightest up-and-comers in the entire sport, signed with the UFC on Tuesday, according to reports. The news originally broke via Brazilian site MMA Premium (translation h/t Guilherme Cruz of MMAFighting.com). The signing comes on the heels of Almeida's June 20 win over Caio Machado in the Legacy Fighting Championship promotion. The win netted Almeida the LFC bantamweight belt, and now, it has apparently netted him a contract more

It didn't take long for Legacy FC bantamweight champion Thomas Almeida to get his UFC call-up. Bloody Elbow has profiled Thomas Almeida multiple times just within the past few months, and for good reason. The Chute Boxe talent has an astonishing 100% finish rate and a 17-0 record, with his 17th win coming last Friday at Legacy FC against Caio Machado for the promotion's bantamweight title. Not even a week after the 22-year-old scored his latest knockout win, the UFC came calling. MMA Fighting's more