vinicius-queiroz.jpgJust underneath the surface, it’s obvious that Vinicius Queiroz is still bitter about his most recent defeat. But on the outside, he insists he’s put it behind. After all, there’s new business at hand.

“I’m happy for Alexander Volkov,” Queiroz told MMAjunkie.com in his native Portuguese. “He’s a great champion with a great fight record. But anyone who saw us fight knows that I was nullifying his game. No one else in Bellator fought him as well as I did.”

Queiroz (6-3 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) and Bellator MMA heavyweight champ Volkov (19-3 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) met in the semifinals of the company’s Season 7 heavyweight tournament. While grappling specialist Queiroz stymied knockout artist Volkov in the early going, a controversial second-round referee restart gave the Russian the opening he needed to land heavy leather and end the fight.

“I think I was doing well at first, keeping a good distance,” Queiroz said. “But the referee interfered by standing us up too quickly after I took Volkov down. Many fans and even the Bellator officials saw this. That standup was a determining factor in our fight, but it’s water under the bridge now. Now my goal is to win this tourney and face him again. I’ll be even more prepared for his standup, and he’ll be more prepared for my ground game, so it will be a different fight altogether.”

Volkov would go on to defeat Richard Hale and claim Bellator’s vacant heavyweight belt. Queiroz now looks to earn his way to the rematch with a win in the company’s Season 9 heavyweight bracket. Up first is another hard-hitter, Lavar Johnson (17-7 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), at Friday’s Bellator 102 event at California’s Visalia Convention Center. The fight is part of the evening’s Spike TV-televised main card and follows prelims that stream on Spike.com.

“I think Lavar is a very experienced athlete, coming to Bellator from the UFC,” Queiroz said. “It’s a pleasure to welcome him to Bellator. He does have heavy hands and fights aggressively. I’ve fought muay Thai my entire life, so I’m more than ready to trade on the feet with him. I also feel my jiu-jitsu is an advantage over him. It may be a good path to win this fight. But I’m ready on the feet or on the ground, and undeniably he is very tough standing.”

The fight will certainly have an old-school feel. Both fighters’ path to victory seems clear. Johnson’s heavy hands have felled 15 former foes, but his undoing has often proved to be on the ground, where Queiroz will hold a significant edge. The winner moves on to face the victor in the night’s other semifinal bout with Mark Godbeer vs. Cheick Kongo.

A tournament win brings with it a shot at the promotion’s heavyweight belt, which is Queiroz’s ultimate goal. Should that mean a rematch with Volkov, as well, then all the sweeter.

“It’s just one fight at a time for me,” Queiroz said. “Of course I want a rematch with Volkov, but first I need to win this grand prix. Then I’ll face whoever happens to be holding the belt. That’s my focus.”

For more on Bellator 102, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Knee Injury Forces Bellator 138 Featherweight Championship Change

Bellator featherweight title challenger Georgi Karakhanyan suffered a knee injury that has forced him out of his title bid against Patricio “Pitbull” Freire. read news >>

Torn ACL sidelines Karakhanyan from Bellator 138, Daniel Weichel meets 'Pitbull' for title

The featherweight title co-main event of June’s Bellator 138 card has a new challenger with Georgi Karakhanyan out and Daniel Weichel in vs. Patricio “Pitbull” Freire.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumor read news >>

Daniel Weichel replaces injured Georgi Karakhanyan, meets champion ‘Pitbull’ Freire at Bellator 138

Patricio Freire has a new opponent for Bellator 138. Georgi Karakhanyan, slated to meet the featherweight champion on June 19, has suffered a torn ACL and is out of the Bellator 138 co-main event. So read news >>

Blackzilian's top heavyweight prospect just signed with Bellator. What is the UFC missing?

Top Blackzilian heavyweight prospect Lorenzo Hood has signed a four-fight deal with Bellator instead of the UFC and is shooting for a mid-summer debut. Lorenzo "The Samoan Silverback" Hood, a 6'3, 26 read news >>

Bellator 138: 'Shamrock vs. Slice' fight card adds two new fights

The big "Shamrock vs. "Slice" event just added two new fights with local flavor to enhance the under card. Two more matches for Bellator 138: "Unfinished Business," which will take place inside Scott read news >>

Monday Morning Hangover: Sarah Kaufman loses to Alexis Davis, but was her mind on Miesha Tate?

Another weekend of fisticuffs has come and gone as UFC 186 stormed Bell Centre last Saturday (April 25, 2015) in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Plenty of fighters were left licking their wounds, including read news >>

Welcome to the UFC, Bilyal Makhov

It looks like the UFC is taking a page from Bellator's playbook and picking up an elite MMA prospect before he ever steps foot in a cage. The MMA talent scouting landscape shifted ever so slightly to read news >>

UFC 186: Rampage Jackson rips Bellator in post-fight comments

The much litigated cage fighting star had some unfavorable comparisons to make between his current and former employers following his decision win over Fabio Maldonado last night. Following weeks of read news >>

Rampage Jackson Says ‘Bellator Can’t F**k With the UFC’

By all appearances, Rampage Jackson is back in a place he feels more comfortable and there’s no comparing his current home to the one he left behind in Bellator. read news >>