Former UFC 145-pound title challenger Chad Mendes has been charged with battery for his alleged role in a July 29 bar fight in Hanford, Calif.

According to a report from the Hanford Sentinel, the Kings County District Attorney’s office announced Friday that Mendes will be arraigned in court on Sept. 19. The charge carries a potential $2,000 fine and a sentence of up to six months in county jail.

Mendes is accused of allegedly punching a man at the Lacey Inn Bar and leaving through the establishment’s back door before he could be captured by law enforcement officials. However, Mendes was recognized by witnesses on the scene, according to the Hanford Sentinel. Through his management team, Mendes has denied the majority of the allegations against him.

Jeff Meyer, Mendes’ manager, recently released a statement to MMAFighting.com acknowledging that the fighter has been charged with one count of simple misdemeanor battery. According to the statement, Mendes is cooperating with the investigation and will appear in court as scheduled on Sept. 19.

After reeling off 11 straight wins to begin his MMA career, Mendes suffered his first setback in January, when he was knocked out by reigning featherweight king Jose Aldo at UFC 142. The 27-year-old Team Alpha Male representative rebounded from the defeat last month, knocking out “Ultimate Fighter 12” alumnus Cody McKenzie in 31 seconds at UFC 148.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bleacher Report MMA Rankings for May 2016

  • 23 days ago
  • 19 views

April wasn't the busiest month of MMA action, but it did feature a few big fights. Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson made his debut in Bellator and suffered a crushing defeat at the ha read news >>

ESPN Report Says the UFC is For Sale, Could Sell for $3.5-4 Billion

  • 18 days ago
  • 23 views

ESPN business reporter Darren Rovell says the UFC is for sale and already in advanced talks with multiple suitors. read news >>

Dana White says UFC 'not for sale' despite ESPN report to the contrary (Yahoo Sports)

  • 18 days ago
  • 30 views

From Yahoo Sports: A report Tuesday said the UFC's owners are in advanced talks to sell the business and it is expected to be valued between $3.5 billion and $4 billion. read news >>

Dana White says UFC 'not for sale' despite ESPN report (Yahoo Sports)

  • 18 days ago
  • 23 views

From Yahoo Sports: A report Tuesday said the UFC's owners are in advanced talks to sell the business and it is expected to be valued between $3.5 billion and $4 billion. read news >>

Dana White Denies ESPN Report: ‘The UFC is Not for Sale’

  • 18 days ago
  • 28 views

The MMA world was jolted on Tuesday when an ESPN report indicated that the UFC was for sale, but UFC president Dana White declares the report untrue. read news >>

Dana White Continues to Shoot Down UFC Sale, but Hints at a ‘Deal’

  • 17 days ago
  • 45 views

Although Dana White on Wednesday continued to shoot down a report that the UFC was for sale, he didn't rule out a deal involving international expansion. read news >>

Dana White Comments on UFC Owners' Pursuit of Purchasing NFL Team

  • 15 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC President Dana White denied a Tuesday report from ESPN.com's Darren Rovell suggesting the promotion's majority owners, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta of Zuffa, are looking to sell the business, but h read news >>

UFC 198: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Predictions

  • 15 days ago
  • 32 views

The UFC is in Curitiba, Brazil, for UFC 198 on Saturday and put together an absolutely stacked card for the occasion. The event, for the most part, follows the standard "Brazil vs. The World" formula read news >>

UFC 198 Video Highlights: Cris Cyborg Impresses in UFC Debut Against Leslie Smith

  • 14 days ago
  • 20 views

The reigning 145-pound queen, Cris Cyborg, made her UFC debut against Leslie Smith in a catchweight fight on the UFC 198 main card on Saturday. Check out the video highlights. read news >>

Morning Report: Floyd Mayweather will only fight against Conor McGregor, says it will be 'record-breaking'

  • 12 days ago
  • 100 views

Retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he will only come out of retirement to fight UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor and that he believes the fight will break the Pay Per View record of 4.6 read news >>