Report: Former UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva Says He Won’t Fight in 2014

• submit to reddit

Anderson Silva thinks he could return to fighting in the first half of 2015. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Although UFC President Dana White predicted otherwise, it appears that Anderson Silva won’t be setting foot in the Octagon this year.

The former middleweight champion recently told Brazilian media outlet Combate that a return to action in 2014 is highly unlikely. Silva suffered a gruesome broken left leg in a loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 168 and immediately underwent emergency surgery for the injury following the bout.

“Those predictions that I will fight at UFC 181 or any other upcoming event are not true,” Silva told Combate. “This year is already over for me.”

“The Spider” went on to say that he could possibly fight in the first half of 2015. However, he does not foresee a return to title contention.

“The stage of champion Anderson [has] passed,” he said.

While the 38-year-old Brazilian does not plan on retiring, fulfilling his entire 10-bout contract with the UFC could also prove difficult.

“I [don’t see myself] stopping [at this time], but I do not know if I’ll be able to fulfill the contract of 10 fights,” he said. “For many years my family has asked me to stop, and they need to understand that this is what I love to do, and I need to take my time.”

Prior to consecutive losses to Weidman, Silva was unbeaten in 17 Octagon appearances -- including 10 185-pound title defenses. Silva’s last victory came in October 2012, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar inside of a round at UFC 153 in a light heavyweight bout.

• 16 hours ago

UFC President Dana White revealed that Anderson Silva is “chomping at the bit” to return to the octagon and that Nick Diaz could potentially fight for a title with a win over the division’s former kingpin. more

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. more

• a day ago

Appearing on ESPN's SportsCenter, UFC president Dana White officially announced the anticipated bout between former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz. SportsCenter anchor Max Bretos leaked the news on Twitter shortly before White appeared on camera: Dana White announcing on @SportsCenter Anderson Silva will be back in #UFC Octagon. He will face Nick Diaz January 31st. Boom.
— Max Bretos (@mbretosESPN) July 29, 2014 After taping the se more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

Ask UFC President Dana White who could possibly beat women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, and the answer you’ll get is a perplexing mix of anyone and no one.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

UFC President Dana White told ESPN.com that he is focused on hashing out the contract situation with Gina Carano within the next week.
After adding Holly Holm to the UFC roster a few days ago, Dana White is now focused on securing another famed women's fighter in Gina Carano.
The UFC President revealed that he will be meeting with the former Strikeforce featherweight champion's lawyer next week to resume contract negotiations. He expressed a keen interest in finalizing the deal as soon as possib more

UFC president Dana White is intent on signing women's MMA pioneer Gina Carano, so much so he told ESPN's Brett Okamoto Friday that it was just a matter of sitting down and making it happen.
"I'm going to meet with Gina next week and get that f---ing thing done," White said. "It's just a matter of me and Lorenzo [Fertitta] going to jump on a plane to Los Angeles, get in a room with her and her lawyer and get this thing done."
According to Bleacher Reports' Jeremy Botter, a source very close to th more

ATLANTIC CITY – Just three short years ago, UFC President Dana White infamously claimed women would “never” fight in his promotion’s famed octagon. Now, Claudia Gadelha and Tina Lahdemaki kick off the UFC’s second female division.Filed under: (...) more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more