Report: Former UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva Says He Won’t Fight in 2014

Anderson Silva thinks he could return to fighting in the first half of 2015. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Although UFC President Dana White predicted otherwise, it appears that Anderson Silva won’t be setting foot in the Octagon this year.

The former middleweight champion recently told Brazilian media outlet Combate that a return to action in 2014 is highly unlikely. Silva suffered a gruesome broken left leg in a loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 168 and immediately underwent emergency surgery for the injury following the bout.

“Those predictions that I will fight at UFC 181 or any other upcoming event are not true,” Silva told Combate. “This year is already over for me.”

“The Spider” went on to say that he could possibly fight in the first half of 2015. However, he does not foresee a return to title contention.

“The stage of champion Anderson [has] passed,” he said.

While the 38-year-old Brazilian does not plan on retiring, fulfilling his entire 10-bout contract with the UFC could also prove difficult.

“I [don’t see myself] stopping [at this time], but I do not know if I’ll be able to fulfill the contract of 10 fights,” he said. “For many years my family has asked me to stop, and they need to understand that this is what I love to do, and I need to take my time.”

Prior to consecutive losses to Weidman, Silva was unbeaten in 17 Octagon appearances -- including 10 185-pound title defenses. Silva’s last victory came in October 2012, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar inside of a round at UFC 153 in a light heavyweight bout.

'Fight week, blog week' hasn't been great for UFC president Dana White. After being found to be in breach of the promotion's regulatory protocol for removing judge Howard Hughes from officiating at U read news >>

Never say never. Despite being told by UFC President Dana White that Thiago Silva would "never fight in the UFC again," the Brazilian light heavyweight was welcomed back to and signed with the UFC on read news >>

MACAU – UFC President Dana White spent some time with the media following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 48 card in Macau. Check out the full video inside. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC president Dana White met with the media following UFC Fight Night 48: Bisping vs. Le on Saturday to discuss all things UFC, including updates on Gina Carano, Nate Diaz, and more. read news >>

UFC President Dana White spoke to the media following UFC Fight Night 48 (UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Le). White discussed a potential deal with Gina Carano, the future of Nate Diaz, the status of R read news >>

UFC president Dana White and UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey answered questions from fans Friday before UFC Fight Night 48. White discussed Alvarez signing, while Rousey talked about h read news >>

UFC President Dana White removed judge Howard Hughes from duty on last Saturday's (Aug. 23, 2014) UFC Fight Night 48 card after having an issue with his scoring of the first two fights. That wouldn't read news >>

UFC president Dana White on Tuesday offered an apology to UFC Fight Night Macao judge Howard Hughes, whom White had pulled from his Octagon-side duties on Saturday in China. read news >>

My bad! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White made headlines this week after he relieved a judge of his duties during UFC Fight Night 48, which took place last Saturday (Aug. 23, read news >>