Anderson Silva thinks he could return to fighting in the first half of 2015. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Although UFC President Dana White predicted otherwise, it appears that Anderson Silva won’t be setting foot in the Octagon this year.

The former middleweight champion recently told Brazilian media outlet Combate that a return to action in 2014 is highly unlikely. Silva suffered a gruesome broken left leg in a loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 168 and immediately underwent emergency surgery for the injury following the bout.

“Those predictions that I will fight at UFC 181 or any other upcoming event are not true,” Silva told Combate. “This year is already over for me.”

“The Spider” went on to say that he could possibly fight in the first half of 2015. However, he does not foresee a return to title contention.

“The stage of champion Anderson [has] passed,” he said.

While the 38-year-old Brazilian does not plan on retiring, fulfilling his entire 10-bout contract with the UFC could also prove difficult.

“I [don’t see myself] stopping [at this time], but I do not know if I’ll be able to fulfill the contract of 10 fights,” he said. “For many years my family has asked me to stop, and they need to understand that this is what I love to do, and I need to take my time.”

Prior to consecutive losses to Weidman, Silva was unbeaten in 17 Octagon appearances -- including 10 185-pound title defenses. Silva’s last victory came in October 2012, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar inside of a round at UFC 153 in a light heavyweight bout.

Morning Report: Dan Henderson wants rematches with Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfrot and Gegard Mousasi

Dan Henderson might be 44 but he's got fights lined up for years. Henderson signed a new six-fight deal with the UFC early in 2014 and reportedly took a decent pay cut to stick with the promotion fol read news >>

Morning Report: Dana White says Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

As if featherweight champion Jose Aldo couldn't feel any lower, apparently his absence at UFC 189 has only added to the appeal. At least that's the line UFC president Dana White is going with. Accord read news >>

Morning Report: Wanderlei Silva slams Dana White over Reebok, favoring Conor McGregor and 'slandering' Jose Aldo

Wanderlei Silva isn't happy. He's got issues with everything from Reebok to UFC president Dana White to the promotion's treatment of featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Silva's become much more opinion read news >>

Dana White not interested in 'Stitch' Duran's return: 'Duran and I were never friends'

UFC President Dana White made it clear he won’t accept Jacob “Stitch” Duran’s offer to mend fences and return to UFC cut man duties.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Blasts Former Cutman: 'Stitch Duran and I Were Never Friends'

Longtime UFC cutman Jacob “Stitch” Duran won’t be getting a postcard, phone call or an apology from UFC President Dana White. The pink slip is a done deal, and Duran will not be coming back to the UF read news >>

Morning Report: Josh Koscheck slams 'little errand b***h' Dana White

UFC president Dana White's "soft spot" for the pioneer cast of The Ultimate Fighter just got a bit tougher. A veteran of 25 fights inside the Octagon, TUF 1 alum Josh Koscheck quite literally risked read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Ousting Dana White, Drug Testing, Anderson Silva's Return

In my former life, I was a tech journalist, covering the wild world of Silicon Valley and the developing culture of Web 2.0. Most of you will have no idea what that sentence means, but I'll put it th read news >>

Despite loss of Aldo vs McGregor, Dana White expects record-setting $7M gate for UFC 189

UFC 189 might have lost it's big headliner, but will still be the most profitable live event on US soil in promotion history, according to the UFC president. When it comes to promoting and marketing read news >>

Morning Report: Luke Rockhold 'afraid fighting is losing its individuality' with UFC's Reebok uniforms

Luke Rockhold has some notes. The middleweight contender hasn't got hands on with Reebok's newly unveiled UFC uniforms but he already has issues. "I haven't put the attire on yet," Rockhold told UFC read news >>

Dana White warns Yoel Romero: 'America doesn't want to hear your thoughts on Jesus'

Top middleweight contender Yoel Romero momentarily found himself in hot water after allegedly making an anti-gay remark following his victory over Lyoto Machida at last weekend's (Sat., June 27, 2015 read news >>