Report: Former UFC Middleweight Champ Anderson Silva Says He Won’t Fight in 2014

• submit to reddit

Anderson Silva thinks he could return to fighting in the first half of 2015. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Although UFC President Dana White predicted otherwise, it appears that Anderson Silva won’t be setting foot in the Octagon this year.

The former middleweight champion recently told Brazilian media outlet Combate that a return to action in 2014 is highly unlikely. Silva suffered a gruesome broken left leg in a loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 168 and immediately underwent emergency surgery for the injury following the bout.

“Those predictions that I will fight at UFC 181 or any other upcoming event are not true,” Silva told Combate. “This year is already over for me.”

“The Spider” went on to say that he could possibly fight in the first half of 2015. However, he does not foresee a return to title contention.

“The stage of champion Anderson [has] passed,” he said.

While the 38-year-old Brazilian does not plan on retiring, fulfilling his entire 10-bout contract with the UFC could also prove difficult.

“I [don’t see myself] stopping [at this time], but I do not know if I’ll be able to fulfill the contract of 10 fights,” he said. “For many years my family has asked me to stop, and they need to understand that this is what I love to do, and I need to take my time.”

Prior to consecutive losses to Weidman, Silva was unbeaten in 17 Octagon appearances -- including 10 185-pound title defenses. Silva’s last victory came in October 2012, when he stopped Stephan Bonnar inside of a round at UFC 153 in a light heavyweight bout.

Ed Soares, the manager of Anderson Silva talks about how the Silva camp views a UFC return fight against Nick Diaz. more

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

From Yahoo Sports: Despite beating the great Anderson Silva twice, there is a portion of the fan base that doesn't believe in Weidman. more

Chris Weidman competes at UFC 175 to defend his middleweight title, but first, watch the fight which got him the championship. more

Because the "All American" is looking to add another Brazilian "legend" to his already-impressive resume. On July 5, 2014, Chris Weidman defended his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title for the second consecutive time, turning away Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 in a very entertaining "Fight of the Night." In the process, "All American" proved he was indeed "the real deal." But what you didn't know is that the back-and-forth title fight (video) was dangerously close to not happenin more

Add Dan Henderson’s name to the list of UFC light heavyweights looking for a career-resurgence by dropping to 185 pounds. MMAFighting.com reported that the former Pride two-division champion will be returning to middleweight for the first time since his 2010 fight against Jake Shields in Strikeforce. Hendo hopes to be back in the cage by the end of the year, and the middleweight division is as competitive as it’s ever been. With fighters like Tim Kennedy, Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold currently more

UFC Middleweight Josh Samman details his affair with a distinctly different sport than the one you may know him from. There’s a six mile stretch from my home in Hollywood, Florida to I-95. There’s nothing particularly special about it; it’s merely sidewalk along Sheridan Road. At certain times of day there’s heavy traffic and the exhaust makes it unpleasant to be near the interstate. Most days I wait until it’s not even day anymore, until the sun goes down and the cars have gone home. Once I get more

Thiago Silva has found a landing spot for his post-UFC career, and it's a familiar one for the Brazilian. According to a press release from Fight Time Promotions, Silva will compete on the promotion's Aug. 29 card. The promotion is run by Howard Davis Jr., Silva's old boxing coach while the two were at American Top Team. "I'm gonna put on a good fight and the audience will be very pleased as I'm looking to knock my opponent out," Silva said. "I'm very happy to be fighting for my former coach." I more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more