Prior to UFC 133, many observers, including UFC President Dana White, felt that former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans might not look quite right after 14 months away from the cage.

Apparently, somebody forgot to tell Evans (Pictured; file photo), as “Suga” looked razor sharp in dismantling Tito Ortiz in their Saturday main event at Philadelphia’s Wells Fargo Center.

“I’m a big believer in ring rust,” White quipped at the post-fight press conference. “Rashad f---ed up my theory tonight.”

Evans used excellent takedown defense early in the bout, fending off a charging Ortiz with his back to the cage. After escaping the grasp of “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy,” Evans appeared to find his rhythm standing, rifling off crisp combination to the head and body of his slower foe.

“Speed was definitely the difference,” said Evans. “I just took my time with it. I knew Tito would try to get at me early, so I wanted to make sure I didn’t rush into anything. I set up my standup so things went right.”

Evans then seized full control of the cage, diving for his own double-leg and hoisting Ortiz high before slamming him forcefully to the mat to inflict damage from top position. Though the second round would mimic the end of the first, Evans found himself in hot water for a split second when he shot for a takedown and left his neck exposed. Ortiz attempted to snatch both the opportunity and Evans’ throat, grabbing an arm-in guillotine -- the maneuver he used to finish Ryan Bader just one month ago at UFC 132.

Evans would not succumb to the choke, however, as the former Michigan State Spartan expertly defended the submission attempt while passing to half-guard.

“Right before the fight, I was working with Renzo Gracie on defending [the arm-in guillotine],” said Evans. “Once I pushed my head down and pushed [Ortiz’s] knee down, I didn’t feel the pressure. The worst thing you can do is try to pull out when you’re in that.”

After escaping the submission, Evans began to drop punishment on the 14-year pro. Though Ortiz tried valiantly to scramble to his feet, he was eventually trapped on his knees against the cage in round two. Evans did not hesitate to strike, finishing the fight with a brutal knee to the solar plexus followed by more punches to his helpless adversary.

“I was especially conscious of [not kneeing Ortiz in the head],” said Evans. “He [lifted] one knee up, then put it down. For a minute, I was thinking about the knee so much that I forgot to punch him. So I punched him, then kneed him in the body instead.”

Ortiz stepped up to face Evans in a rematch of their 2007 pairing out of necessity, as Evans was originally slated to face both Phil Davis and Jon Jones before each dropped out of the event due to injury. Now the light heavyweight champion, Jones was once a teammate of Evans’ at Greg Jackson’s MMA. That tie now severed, Evans looks forward to reclaiming his title, preferably from his former teammate and friend, provided Jones can successfully defend his belt against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September.

“I would prefer to [win the title] from Jones. You think I’m cocky? He’s for-real cocky. He’s like go-to-sleep-praising-himself cocky. I would love to teach him a lesson. I know where Jon’s weak and he knows where I’m weak. So we’ll see who covers those [weak areas] first,” said Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage, I’ll have a chance to do that. I think Rampage should train in my camp for this fight.”

UFC 188: Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez full fight video highlights

Check out the full fight video highlights for the UFC 188 main event between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez. Prior to the historic action that took place in the main event of the evening, UFC fan read news >>

10 Reason to Watch UFC 188

10 REASONS TO WATCH UFC 188, INCLUDING THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION FALLOUT By Steven Marrocco, MMAJunkie.com read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum live results, play by play and discussion of the main card

Top-to-bottom coverage of the UFC 188 pay-per-view including live play by play and results of the heavyweight unification title fight between Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum, plus a lightweight bo read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum live results, play by play and discussion for preliminary card

Top-to-bottom coverage of the UFC 188 pay-per-view including live play by play and results of the preliminary card, capped off with a flyweight clash between Henry Cejudo and Zach Makovsky. Join us t read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC 188, including the heavyweight division fallout

The UFC’s first trip to Mexico kind of summed up the promotion’s luck in 2014, which is to say it didn’t catch much of it. Now, the promotion is making up for missed opportunities with Saturday’s UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 13 official with three title fights headlining, including Justino vs. Van Duin

International Fight Week has added three more title fights as Invicta FC 13 will see the atomweight, bantamweight and featherweight titles all put on the line.Filed under: News read news >>

Ben Rothwell blasts Dana White: 'UFC doesn't give a sh-t about me'

"Big Ben" spitting that fire again! With Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) putting on a record number of shows every year, it's hard for Dana White to attend every single one of them like he was a read news >>

Ben Rothwell tries to get Dana White's attention: 'UFC kind of doesn't give a s--- about me'

Ben Rothwell's evening at UFC Fight Night 68 could scarcely have gone better. The heavyweight contender turned heads with a Darth Vader-like walkout; dazzled in the Octagon with a quick submission of read news >>

UFC 188 Predictions: Can Cain Velasquez Finally Make a Splash in Mexico City?

Calling a "do-over" never felt so good. Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum will finally meet to unify the heavyweight title on Saturday at UFC 188 in Mexico City. When they do, they'll make good on t read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, June 9: Here comes 'Big' Ben Rothwell

Many folks (including the man himself) will say it’s long overdue, but Ben Rothwell has finally cracked the top 15 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA heavyweight rankings.Filed under: Bellator, MM read news >>