nate-diaz-21-featured.jpg

Nate Diaz is at it again on Twitter.

After blasting the headliners of UFC on FOX 9, attacking lightweight champ Anthony Pettis, and suggesting that no one wants to interview him, the UFC veteran today requested to be released from his contract.

And, of course, he did it in a way that is bound to stir up controversy and confusion. Citing the Twitter accounts of both the UFC and its president, Dana White, he wrote, “I would like to request to be released from the @ufc Its time for me to be on my way,” adding a cryptic ” .. ?” to the end of his message.

Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC) has been inactive since pounding out two-time lightweight title challenger Gray Maynard in a rubber match at this past November’s TUF 18 Finale. But that hasn’t kept him from speaking up on social media, where he’s issued sporadic and pointed tweets dedicated to various targets.

Some would say the messages served their purpose. After one particular rant aimed at Benson Henderson, Josh Thomson and Pettis, he seemed to cement interest from the lightweight champ’s camp in setting up a fight, regardless of his position in the 155-pound division.

Diaz’s manager, Mike Kogan, threw more gasoline on the fire by suggesting that Diaz was holding out for a title shot when he turned down a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170 in favor of a better contract.

Today, Kogan’s response to MMAjunkie’s request for comment on Diaz’s release tweet was slightly more explicit: “F–k you, I have no comment,” he said.

White has shot down the idea the Diaz is a contender, but said he likes the fighter’s attitude about wanting to take tough challenges. He may be less enamored with the 28-year-old’s current approach.

Requests to the UFC for comment went unreturned.

Diaz, who’s the younger brother of retired onetime welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz, has fought 19 times in the octagon, once earning a lightweight title shot after three consecutive wins over tough opponents. He was dominated by now-former champ Henderson, and a subsequent knockout loss to Thomson damaged his title prospects. The win over Maynard rescued his standing, but his position became less clear with his rejection of Nurmagomedov.

With his latest message, Diaz might be putting himself on the ropes, or perhaps attempting to follow in the footsteps of longtime teammate Gilbert Melendez, who fielded a lucrative offer from Bellator as a restricted free agent and subsequently inked a sweetheart deal when the UFC matched the bid.

But it’s anyone’s guess as to what’s really going on with Diaz.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

  • 11 days ago
  • 166 views

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Johnson in the right mindset after loss to Diaz

  • 11 days ago
  • 0 views

Michael Johnson is fully resurged after recovering from his surgery and loss to Nate Diaz last year. Johnson says it will be a tough night for his main event opponent, Dustin Poirier, on Saturday. read news >>

Al Iaquinta Contract Dispute Nixes UFC New York Bout | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 21 views

Al Iaquinta had verbally agreed to fight at UFC New York, a fight he has wanted badly. Following a contract dispute, however, he is off the card. read news >>

UFC Adds Veteran MMA Executive Mick Maynard, Promotes Sean Shelby

  • 7 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC announced today the hiring of Mick Maynard as Vice President of Talent Relations. Maynard was president and owner of Houston-based Legacy Fighting Championship, an organization that helped launch read news >>

Once UFC Fight Night 95's Vicente Luque got his loss out of the way, things got better

  • 2 days ago
  • 7 views

“The Ultimate Fighter 21” veteran Vicente Luque started his professional octagon career with a loss to fellow cast member Michael Graves, but the setback wound up being a positive.Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Free Fight: Watch Josh Barnett KO Frank Mir

  • 29 days ago
  • 73 views

UFC veteran Josh Barnett accomplished a new feat at UFC 164: a first-round knockout in the UFC. Barnett KO'd Frank Mir in Round 1 at UFC 164. read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Faces Jorge Masvidal at the TUF: Latin America 3 Finale

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

Fifth-ranked 170-pound contender Kelvin Gastelum faces battle-tested veteran Jorge Masvidal at The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3 Finale in Mexico City. read news >>

Nate Diaz No Longer Jumping for Joy for Third Conor McGregor Fight

  • 26 days ago
  • 411 views

The big debate following Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor 2 was centered on a third fight. Diaz appears to have given up on round three. read news >>

Kyle O’Reilly Embraces the Convergence of Pro Wrestling and MMA

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

Heading into his match with UFC veteran Matt Riddle, Kyle O'Reilly embraces the convergence of pro wrestling and MMA. read news >>

Exclusive Pics: Conor McGregor filming for Call Of Duty

  • 22 days ago
  • 60 views

In recent years Call of Duty, the multi-billion dollar franchise, have moved to align themselves with some of the biggest stars in the world. In 2014 it was multiple-Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey read news >>