pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose UFC.com profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

UFC Announces London Event for March 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Wednesday announced its return to London, England. read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

UFC Anaheim Announcement

• a day ago

UFC® announced today that its Jan. 21 Pay-Per-View event at Honda Center in Anaheim, California has been rescheduled to Aug. 5. The event will remain a Pay-Per-View broadcast. read news >>

After loss to Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101, 33-fight veteran Kyle Noke announces retirement

A longtime stalwart of Aussie MMA is calling it a career. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC 205 results: Raquel Pennington dominates Miesha Tate, who announces retirement

NEW YORK – Raquel Pennington dominated her former “Ultimate Fighter” coach, Miesha Tate, to open the UFC 205 pay-per-view on Saturday. Then Tate pulled a stunner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NEW YORK – By the time Miesha Tate dragged Raquel Pennington into the type of grappling fight that favored her, she was already down two rounds and struggling. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 results: Johnny Eduardo takes out Manny Gamburyan, who announces retirement

SAO PAULO – Manny Gamburyan’s eagerness to press the action cost him dearly against Johnny Eduardo. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>