pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose UFC.com profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

UFC light heavyweight Abdul-Kerim Edilov fails USADA test before making octagon debut

UFC officials today announced that light heavyweight signee Abdul-Kerim Edilov has been notified of a potential anti-doping policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition test.Filed under: News read news >>

Tim Means pulled from UFC Fight Night 83 headliner after failed USADA test

UFC officials today announced that welterweight [autotag]Tim Means[/autotag] has been pulled from a planned UFC Fight Night 83 headliner with Donald Cerrone after being notified of a potential anti-d read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

Ben Rothwell Draws Junior dos Santos in UFC Zagreb Headliner

UFC today announced that No.5 heavyweight contender Ben Rothwell will take on No.6 heavyweight Junior dos Santos in the main event for the organisation’s debut event in Croatia. read news >>

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller Comes Out of Retirement, Faces Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III

Venator Fighting Championship announced on Tuesday that it has signed Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who will face champion Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III on May 21. read news >>

UFC extends commitment to Cleveland Clinic and fighters' brain health study

UFC® today announced a five-year extension of its partnership with Cleveland Clinic, and its support of the Professional Fighters Brain Health Study. read news >>

Michael Chandler Signs Multi-Year, Multi-Fight Contract Extension with Bellator MMA

• 11 hours ago

Bellator MMA announced today that former 155-pound champion Michael Chandler has signed an exclusive multi-year, multi-fight contract extension with the promotion. read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Hendricks vs. Thompson Now Headlines UFC Fight Night on FS1 Feb. 6 in Las Vegas

UFC® announced today that its card on Saturday, Feb. 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will now air live on FS1 and be headlined by a five-round welterweight bout between former read news >>

Four Bouts Announced for Debut Event in Croatia

UFC® today announced the first four bouts to be included in the organisation’s debut event in Croatia on Sunday, April 10 at Zagreb Arena. Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT® ZAGREB will go on general sale read news >>