pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose UFC.com profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett Available on Free to Air Television in Germany

UFC today announced that the upcoming UFC Fight Night 93: Alovski vs. Barnett will air on the free to air channel ProSieben MAXX. read news >>

World Series of Fighting Announces Remaining Event Schedule for 2016

Following its highest-viewed live event of the year, World Series of Fighting announced on Tuesday that it has pegged new dates to its four remaining 2016 events. read news >>

UFC Announces Return to Belfast, Lays Out Remainder of 2016 Schedule

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the remainder of its schedule for 2016 at Friday's UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 press conference in Las Vegas. read news >>

Invicta FC 19 Fight Card Finalized with Tiffany Van Soest Facing Kalyn Schwartz

• 5 hours ago

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the last match-up for Invicta FC 19, finalizing the eight-fight card. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Announced: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Rafael Dos Anjos will face Tony Ferguson in a five-round lightweight clash in the headline bout of the UFC's event at Mexico City's Arena Ciudad de Mexico on Saturday, November 5. UFC Europe relayed read news >>

UFC Salt Lake City Video: Yair Rodriguez – Creative Combat

Dynamic featherweight Yair Rodriguez looks to build on his recent success on Aug. 6 when he meets Alex Caceres in the main event of UFC Fight Night 92. read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Rails on Association of Boxing Commissions’ Rules Changes (Video)

Chael Sonnen isn't cheering the ABC's recent MMA rules changes, particularly when it comes to the rule about what constitutes a downed fighter. read news >>

Superstars Blast Conor McGregor for Recent Comments About WWE Roster

Conor McGregor kicked a hornet's nest on Friday. Speaking with the media on a conference call to promote UFC 202, the pay-per-view kingpin was asked if he had any interest in making the jump to profe read news >>

RFA 42 Gets New Headliner

Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA) president Ed Soares announced on Friday that there has been a change at the top of RFA 42 read news >>