pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

Conan O'Brien announces live that he's a part-owner of the UFC (Video)

Conan O'Brien announced live on his show that, thanks to the purchase by WME-IMG, he's a part-owner of the UFC. He also listed a tonof investors along with him.There has been no shortage of read news >>

Media Manufactured Retirement Talk Hindered Brad Pickett in London | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports Brad ‘One Punch’ Pickett’s retirement was one of the talking points ahead of UFC London earlier this year, but that had nothing to do with the hometown hero w read news >>

Daniel Cormier announces his next opponent for the UFC light heavyweight championship

Daniel Cormier has announced his next challenger for the UFC light heavyweight title. Find out who it is and when it goes down. read news >>

Nate Diaz gets public warning from USADA over UFC 202 post-fight vape pen use

UFC anti-doping partner USADA announced today that Nate Diaz will not face any disciplinary action for using a vape pen post-UFC 202, instead receiving a verbal warning. Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Ronda Rousey is back, will fight Amanda Nunes at UFC 207

The UFC announced today that Ronda Rousey will make her long-awaited return Dec. 30 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Bellator MMA Announces Back-to-Back Events |

Bellator announced the promotion’s first ever Friday/Saturday doubleheader event with Bellator 166 and Bellator 167 taking place on consecutive nights. read news >>

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East |

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Announces He Has Left UFC: Latest Comments, Reaction

Georges St-Pierre announced on Monday's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani that he is no longer with UFC, per the show's producer, Eric Jackman. Jackman noted the fighter is a free agent after his lawye read news >>

Bellator Kickboxing: Florence Main Card Finalized |

Bellator Kickboxing announced today that it has added a trio of fights to its December 10 event at the Mandela Forum in Florence, Italy. read news >>

Frank Mir Moving to the Broadcast Booth This Weekend |

Absolute Championship Berkut announced today that two-time UFC Heavyweight Champion of the World Frank Mir has joined the ACB commentary team. read news >>