pat-schilling-2.jpgRecent UFC competitor “Thrilling” Pat Schilling today announced his MMA retirement at the rather youthful age of 24.

Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) today made the announcement via social media.

Schilling said his ultimate goal in the sport was to get the UFC. He accomplished the feat just two years after his January 2010 pro debut, though he ultimately suffered a submission defeat to Daniel Pineda (in a late-notice fight) and a decision loss to Max Holloway upon his arrival in the world’s biggest fight promotion.

“Before I’d ever get to that point, I would put in several hours of training every day while balancing a full time job,” he wrote. “I’d fight through a demanding local mixed martial arts scene, gaining a few dollars at a time, and a few fans per fight to support ‘Team Thrilling.’ The work was tough. I gave up a lot of other things in life to pursue this dream, and I reached its pinnacle. But now life has taken me another direction, and I just can’t meet the same rigorous expectations I placed upon myself when coming up through the ranks to be able to compete on the local scene and work my way back up.

“There are amazing people out there who push and motivate me, and there are unfortunately people who do the opposite: suck the energy and fun out of the game. Pulling the full time job and a full time fighting career is just something I don’t desire anymore. I want more time to spend with friends and family, and do things that continue to give me energy in life.”

The Minnesota-based fighter, whose UFC.com profile lists him as an operations supervisor at Best Buy, announced the organization had released him this past June.

Prior to joining the UFC, he posted a 5-0 record with five first-round stoppages.

“It was an amazing, tough journey that I will never forget,” he wrote. “And to my fans and supporters, you made the journey worthwhile. I love you all, and years from now, thinking about you cheering for me will bring me joy. You’ve helped me make incredible memories. “

Mike Arrant Replaces Injured Thiago Meller, Faces John Howard at WSOF 31

World Series of Fighting announced today that Thiago Meller has withdrawn from his scheduled welterweight contest against John Howard, who will now face Mike Arrant at WSOF 31. read news >>

UFC returns to Vancouver this August

UFC announced today it will stage its second Canadian event of the year at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on Saturday, August 27. UFC FIGHT NIGHT® will mark the fourth UFC card in Vancouver read news >>

1998 Fight Between Pete Williams and Mark Coleman To Be Inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame

UFC today announced that the classic 1998 fight between Pete Williams and Mark Coleman will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame’s ‘Fight Wing.' read news >>

UFC and Dgital Media Launch 'UFC Unfiltered With Jim Norton and Matt Serra'

UFC today announced its partnership with DGital Media to launch an exclusive on-demand audio series. “UFC Unfiltered with Jim Norton and Matt Serra” will be the primary podcast destination for read news >>

Don Frye to Join 2016 UFC Hall of Fame Class as Pioneer

UFC on Saturday announced that two-time UFC tournament champion Don “The Predator” Frye has been named to the 2016 UFC Hall of Fame class as a Pioneer. read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

VIDEO: Dan Henderson Says UFC 199 May Have Been His Last Fight

MMA legend Dan Henderson discusses the possibility of retirement following his UFC 199 knockout win over Hector Lombard. read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Talks Possible Retirement After Second Loss to Dominick Cruz

Following his second loss to UFC champion Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber addressed the possibility that retirement could be on the horizon for him. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

Brock Lesnar announces return at UFC 200

Former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE superstar Brock Lesnar went on ESPN's SportsCenter to announce his return to the Octagon at UFC 200 on July 9, 2016 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>