Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has seen his promotion come under scrutiny this month due to a contract clause granting the promotion the right to match any offer made to a recently released fighter by another organization.

Both light heavyweight Roger Hollett and bantamweight Tyson Nam were released from their Bellator contracts this summer. Hollett, who competed once for Bellator last November, then signed with the UFC and was tapped to welcome Matt Hamill back to the Octagon at UFC 152. Nam, meanwhile, was signed and released by Bellator without ever having fought for the promotion. Bellator officials then booked the Oregonian a non-title fight against Bellator bantamweight king Eduardo Dantas on Aug. 25 at Shooto Brazil 33. Nam upset “Dudu” via first round knockout, catching the champion with a hook to the jaw that turned out his lights in just 1:40.

In both instances, Bellator exercised a clause in the fighters’ contracts that allows the promotion to match any offer the fighters receive within a specific time period after their Bellator departure. As a result, Hollett was removed from his UFC 152 booking temporarily, though he would find his way back on the card after Bellator declined to match the UFC’s offer. Nam also entered into negotiations with rival promotions, but the fighter’s status currently remains unclear due to Bellator’s right-to-match clause.

Several days ago, UFC President Dana White publicly commented on the matter, calling the practice “dirty, grimy and despicable.” Rebney took issue with that statement, pointing out that his promotion has been on the other side of issue when trying to sign a fighter who was recently cut by Zuffa.

“That is a wildly hypocritical statement, because Zuffa follows a precisely duplicative process, and we had to go through that exact same process with [Muhammed] Lawal,” Rebney said during an interview on Tuesday’s episode of “Cheap Seats” on the Sherdog Radio Network. “Zuffa released ‘King Mo’ publicly on March 27, 2012, and Dana confirmed that release to the media on that same day. We jumped on it, because I’ve been a huge ‘King Mo’ fan for years, and we had to go through that exact same process. We had to submit our full contract and submit a certified letter to their attorney with the contract included in it. We had to wait for them to sign for it and then wait 14 business days to even substantively talk to Mo about signing with us, and this is a fighter who had already been released publicly.

“I have no issue at all with people voicing their opinions, but when you follow the exact same process, that’s where I have difficulty with it. They have that exact terminology in their contracts. We had to follow the exact process that we’re being chastised for,” Rebney continued. “I felt like we gave an incredible opportunity to Tyson Nam. With 30 guys who we could choose, I thought we stepped up and gave him a shot at our world champion in a non-title fight. He took advantage of it. God bless him. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, but I think the fallout from it is, to a large extent, undeserved.”

Regarding Hollett, Rebney said his promotion acted quickly in granting “The Hulk” his release earlier this month upon receiving the UFC’s formal offer.

“As soon as we got the actual offer from the UFC, which is what the contract stipulates, we [elected] not to match it. I believe we got back to them literally within six hours,” Rebney said. “Now, you can’t just send out an overture and say, ‘Hey, we’ve received an offer.’ There are contract terms, and they say that you have to actually supply the [new] contract. Once they supplied it, we got back to them immediately. We don’t want to hold the guy back on an opportunity in any way shape or form.”

During his interview, Rebney also addressed criticisms surrounding the quality of Bellator’s seventh season -- the promotion’s final push on MTV2 before upgrading to Spike TV in 2013. Additionally, the Bellator CEO provided his thoughts on a myriad of topics, including his relationship with Spike’s executives and the impact of Viacom buying a majority stake in the promotion, as well as the viability of Bellator’s heavyweight division after champion Cole Konrad’s retirement and whether the Season 7 welterweight draw will serve as a “set-up” for vaunted Russian prospect Andrey Koreshkov.

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:00).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Marcos Galvao defends bantamweight title against Eduardo Dantas at Bellator 144

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

Bellator bantamweight champion Marcos Galvao will put his title on the line in October. "Loro", who captured the 135-pound belt with a second-round submission victory over Joe Warren in March, will l read news >>

Dana White: UFC released Josh Thomson

  • 24 days ago
  • 195 views

Bellator officially announced Tuesday evening that it had inked MMA veteran Josh Thomson to a new multi-fight contract. In a press release to announce the move, Thomson appeared to take exception wit read news >>

Bellator 143 lineup finalized in Texas, including Ryan Couture vs. Nick Gonzalez on prelims

  • a day ago
  • 0 views

The lineup for Bellator’s trip to the Texas-Mexico border later this month is complete with the addition of several preliminary card fights, including the return of Ryan Couture. Filed under: Bellato read news >>

Former UFC lightweight Josh Thomson expected to join Bellator MMA

  • 24 days ago
  • 12 views

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson is expected to sign with Bellator MMA after the UFC declined to give him a new contract. Less than two years ago, former Strikefroce LW champion J read news >>

UFC declines to re-sign Josh Thomson, who is expected to sign with Bellator MMA

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

Josh Thomson's latest UFC run has come to end. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the UFC declined to offer Thomson a new contract once his most recent one expired following his lo read news >>

Joe Warren and LC Davis Battle for Title Contention in Bellator 143 Headliner

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

Joe Warren’s road to reclaim the Bellator MMA Bantamweight Championship will begin on Friday, September 25 against L.C. Davis. read news >>

Paul Daley Prepares for Glory Against Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

Bellator MMA competitors Paul Daley and Fernando Gonzalez will set up shop inside the GLORY kickboxing ring and showcase their striking skills at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1. read news >>

Joe Warren vs. L.C. Davis, Beltran vs. Grove headline Bellator 143 in Texas

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

Bellator will return to Texas for the first time since March of 2012 when the promotion heads to the “Lone Star State” for Bellator 143.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Paul Daley vs. Fernando Gonzalez set as kickboxing bout at 'Bellator 142: Dynamite'

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Bellator MMA welterweights Paul Daley and Fernando Gonzalez will trade in their MMA gloves for kickboxing mitts at next month’s combined Bellator MMA and GLORY spectacular.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Paul Daley takes on Fernando Gonzalez in kickboxing match at Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

Paul Daley has his opponent set for Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1. The British star will meet Fernando Gonzalez in a kickboxing match on the hybrid card Sept. 19 in San Jose, sources told MMAFighting.com. read news >>