They say life imitates art, but it doesn’t always work that way.

For instance, in the 2011 film Warrior, lead character Brendan Conlon was suspended from his teaching job when his bosses found out he was a mixed martial arts fighter on the side.

Conlon couldn’t continue to influence the young people in his school because fighting was just too taboo for the school and the students.

In the case of Bellator middleweight Brian Rogers, who is also a teacher when he’s not fighting, his school system has done nothing but support his “other” career.

“The whole school really supports me. I work for the Leap program and we have schools in Kent, Ohio, my hometown, Garfield Heights, one in Wooster, and one in Green, and actually I’m fortunate cause I get two mornings off a week to train and they let me come in on a half day so I can train and do my thing. The school really supports me,” Rogers told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“I’m lucky where some guys get put into the position where they have to quit their day job or they have to work another type of job to make their dreams happen. Fortunately, my employers at the Leap program, they support me 100-percent.”

It’s a nice feeling for Rogers who loves teaching his students, but also loves to compete among the best fighters in the world in Bellator.

The Ohio native says that his fellow teachers have supported him in droves, traveling to his fights, and coming out to root him on as he lives his dream to be the best professional fighter he can be.

“Half of our staff comes out to the fights,” Rogers said. “When I fought in Strikeforce last year, I want to say about seven of them came down to the fights and bought lower level seats.”

When he is in his day job, Rogers teaches elementary and junior high level students and of course the word about his other profession spread like wildfire because gossip is like junk food around the lunch table.

In the beginning, Rogers admits it was tough to explain to the kids what he did when so many didn’t understand mixed martial arts as anything more than just fighting or even professional wrestling.

Over time, however, as MMA has come to prominence, Rogers says the kids now all understand what it is he does, and they support him all the way.

“It shows you how big mixed martial arts has gotten cause two-and-a-half years ago when I first started, they thought I was a professional wrestler. In our rec room we have posters and stuff and the kids would say ‘you can’t beat up John Cena, Mr. Brian’ and I’d laugh. But then as I was closer to cutting weight I’d say stuff like ‘I’d wreck him,’” Rogers said jokingly.

“Now that the sport’s grown, they understand so much. They’re like ‘no, Mr. Brian does MMA. He does that UFC stuff.’ It’s funny how even in a few years, and kids’ age difference, they now get it.”

And Rogers gets it as well.

He loves being an influence for young kids as a teacher and educator, and then when the final bell rings at three o’clock, he heads to the gym to pursue his other dream… becoming the new Bellator middleweight champion.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Fighting in Italy, Bellator 152's Brian Rogers won't leave anything to chance vs. Sakara

Brian Rogers said he’s honored to co-headline Bellator’s first overseas event when Bellator 152 goes down later this month. He also knows it’s a big risk.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Alessio Sakara is Looking to Knock Out Brian Rogers at Bellator 152

MMA veteran Alessio Sakara is looking to score a knockout over Brian Rogers in the Bellator 152 co-main event in Torino, Italy on Saturday. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fellow fighters predict Bellator 153's Koreshkov vs. Henderson headliner

TURIN, Italy – Who wins Bellator 153’s welterweight title main event between champion Andrey Koreshkov and former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson? Their fellow fighters offer their predicti read news >>

Brian Rogers Plans to Unleash the Predator on Italy at Bellator 152

Back on track, Brian Rogers plans to unleash the Predator on Italy, when he faces Alessio Sakara this week at Bellator 152. read news >>

Women’s MMA Report: 'Cyborg’s' UFC debut set, Bellator books featherweight title fight

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino makes her long-awaited octagon debut on May 14 at UFC 198. Read more about that fight and other happenings in our latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed u read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Confirms UFC Talks over Potential Return

UFC legend Georges St-Pierre has revealed he is in talks with the UFC about a potential comeback. The former welterweight champion hasn’t been in action inside the Octagon since his split-decision wi read news >>

Dada 5000 Comments on Collapsing in Fight vs. Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149

Mixed martial artist Dhafir Harris, better known as Dada 5000, is speaking out about the scary circumstances around his knockout loss against Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149 in February. During a Wednesd read news >>

Benson Henderson not thinking of historic implications of winning Bellator title

Benson Henderson is just over a week away from his chance to become the first fighter in MMA history to win Bellator and UFC championship belts in a career.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Melvin Manhoef Kickboxing as Bellator Takes Italy; Guns for MMA Title Shot Next

On Saturday, Bellator will hold its first event in Torino, Italy, headlined by the company’s new kickboxing venture, which features Melvin Manhoef. read news >>

Michael Chiesa eyeing title run with 'crisis of confidence' behind him (Yahoo Sports)

Michael Chiesa talks about his beard, how it's a "dream come true" fighting at the KeyArena, the challenge of Jorge Masvidal, Masvidal's criticism, and much more. " align="left" border="0">The Ultima read news >>