They say life imitates art, but it doesn’t always work that way.

For instance, in the 2011 film Warrior, lead character Brendan Conlon was suspended from his teaching job when his bosses found out he was a mixed martial arts fighter on the side.

Conlon couldn’t continue to influence the young people in his school because fighting was just too taboo for the school and the students.

In the case of Bellator middleweight Brian Rogers, who is also a teacher when he’s not fighting, his school system has done nothing but support his “other” career.

“The whole school really supports me. I work for the Leap program and we have schools in Kent, Ohio, my hometown, Garfield Heights, one in Wooster, and one in Green, and actually I’m fortunate cause I get two mornings off a week to train and they let me come in on a half day so I can train and do my thing. The school really supports me,” Rogers told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“I’m lucky where some guys get put into the position where they have to quit their day job or they have to work another type of job to make their dreams happen. Fortunately, my employers at the Leap program, they support me 100-percent.”

It’s a nice feeling for Rogers who loves teaching his students, but also loves to compete among the best fighters in the world in Bellator.

The Ohio native says that his fellow teachers have supported him in droves, traveling to his fights, and coming out to root him on as he lives his dream to be the best professional fighter he can be.

“Half of our staff comes out to the fights,” Rogers said. “When I fought in Strikeforce last year, I want to say about seven of them came down to the fights and bought lower level seats.”

When he is in his day job, Rogers teaches elementary and junior high level students and of course the word about his other profession spread like wildfire because gossip is like junk food around the lunch table.

In the beginning, Rogers admits it was tough to explain to the kids what he did when so many didn’t understand mixed martial arts as anything more than just fighting or even professional wrestling.

Over time, however, as MMA has come to prominence, Rogers says the kids now all understand what it is he does, and they support him all the way.

“It shows you how big mixed martial arts has gotten cause two-and-a-half years ago when I first started, they thought I was a professional wrestler. In our rec room we have posters and stuff and the kids would say ‘you can’t beat up John Cena, Mr. Brian’ and I’d laugh. But then as I was closer to cutting weight I’d say stuff like ‘I’d wreck him,’” Rogers said jokingly.

“Now that the sport’s grown, they understand so much. They’re like ‘no, Mr. Brian does MMA. He does that UFC stuff.’ It’s funny how even in a few years, and kids’ age difference, they now get it.”

And Rogers gets it as well.

He loves being an influence for young kids as a teacher and educator, and then when the final bell rings at three o’clock, he heads to the gym to pursue his other dream… becoming the new Bellator middleweight champion.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Bellator Champ Will Brooks Says Fellow Champ and Brother Assaulted Him

Bellator lightweight champion Will Brooks on Wednesday accused fellow champ Patricio Freire and his brother of "jumping" him, while on the phone with his mom. read news >>

Brian Rogers vs. Virgil Zwicker among Bellator 147 additions

Next month’s Bellator 147 event in California has two new additions to the main-card lineup.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Conor McGregor Hits out at Donald Trump, Backs Ronda Rousey After UFC 193 Loss

• 16 hours ago

Conor McGregor has voiced his support for fellow MMA star Ronda Rousey in the wake of her shock loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193. He also encouraged Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to kee read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ronda Rousey Halloween Costume: Family Talks About 5-Year-Old Viral Sensation

Eloyse Chesney could not be reached for comment for this report. She was out trick-or-treating. Unorthodox trick-or-treat scheduling aside, it's a good thing for her that she already has enough notor read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

Suspended UFC star Nick Diaz: Talks with NSAC to 'get this right' are 'going well'

Suspended former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz is staring down the barrel of a five-year suspension, but there may be some hope yet. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

Nick Diaz in Settlement Talks with NAC: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC star Nick Diaz was slapped with a five-year ban and $165,000 fine in September by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a third failed drug test for marijuana in the Silver State, but the cont read news >>