Ronda Rousey - StrikeforceDespite some recent posturing and smokescreens to the contrary, Strikeforce champion Ronda Rousey, as reported and confirmed by MMAWeekly.com, has become the first woman signed to fight in the UFC.

UFC president Dana White had been mum on the signing, but finally confirmed it when he stopped by Friday’s edition of the The Jim Rome Show to promote Saturday’s UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit event in Montreal.

“It’s official,” declared White. “Ronda Rousey did sign with the UFC.”

White and other officials have remained mum on what happens to Strikeforce moving forward, but the Rousey signing becoming official only bolsters MMAWeekly.com’s report that Strikeforce will likely be closing up shop following it’s January 2013 event, which features all three of its male titleholders.

Reaction to Rousey’s signing has been mixed even before White made it official.

“It’s good for her,” said UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. “I’m happy for the girls that fight, but me personally, I have a hard time watching the girls fight.

“It’s the way I grew up maybe, the mentality. I’m different. I’m old school, but I have a hard time watching girls fighting.”

Miesha Tate, whom Rousey defeated to win the Strikeforce title, was obviously happy about the signing, as it means she is likely to be fighting in the UFC soon as well, but had some mixed feelings on all the credit being heaped on Rousey for ushering women into the Octagon.

“It’s not just Ronda, it’s not just myself, that’s for sure,” Tate told MMAWeekly.com recently. “If Ronda’s coming over to the UFC, obviously there’s going to be a division around that, it’s not just Ronda. I know Ronda’s getting a lot of the credit and whatnot, but she didn’t have a lot to do with it from the ground up.

“We’re at the top of the mountain now. That’s kind of how I feel anyways, with this accomplishment coming into the UFC. We’ve kind of reached that final goal. But we had to start at the bottom and a lot of the pioneers (are girls like) Tara (LaRosa), Marloes (Coenen), Molly Helsel; the girls that were really fighting back in the day before we were making any kind of money or there was any kind of publicity or much acceptance of it.”

One person that is obviously excited, and finally able to talk about it, is Rousey, herself.

“Okay I admit it…I’m officially a @ufc fighter :) SO excited! Can’t wait to debut!” Rousey tweeted on Friday. “Let @danawhite know who you want my 1st opponent to be!”

Regardless of how anyone else feels about it now, it’s happening.

White’s confirmation of Ronda Rousey’s UFC signing ushers in a new era for women’s mixed martial arts.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

From Around the Web

Dana White: Ronda Rousey is the female version of Mike Tyson

UFC President Dana White compares UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey to former boxing heavyweight champion Mike Tyson. Ronda Rousey needed a mere 14 seconds to dispatch a legitimately tou read news >>

Ronda Rousey will shoot movie before taking next UFC bout

UFC president Dana White has freed Ronda Rousey to shoot a movie before returning to the Octagon sometime later this year. Looks like it may be a good thing that there are no really compelling challe read news >>

Dana White jokes Ronda Rousey will 'have to start fighting men' if she crushes Cat Zingano

The UFC is going to have a hard time finding an opponent for Ronda Rousey if she destroys Cat Zingano later this month. UFC president Dana White joked on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday night that the promo read news >>

Dana White jokes Ronda Rousey will 'have to start fighting men' if she runs through Cat Zingano at UFC 184

"A lot of people believe, including myself, think that this is the toughest fight for Ronda Rousey, the toughest fight she's ever had. Cat Zingano, after the huge layoff, the surgery looked insane in read news >>

Dana White: We've entered Mike Tyson territory with Ronda Rousey after UFC 184

LOS ANGELES – Before he was even asked about it at UFC 184’s press conference, UFC President Dana White was already comparing women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey to a prime Mike Tyson. Filed unde read news >>

Dana White Talks Ronda Rousey vs. Cris Cyborg: 'The Champ Doesn't Chase' | MMAWeekly.com

After UFC 184, all anyone can talk about is Ronda Rousey vs. Cris Cyborg. The problem, UFC pres Dana White said, is Cyborg's gotta cut the weight. read news >>

Ronda Rousey, Dana White Dish on Potential Superfight with Cris 'Cyborg' Justino

Ronda Rousey broke a couple of records at UFC 184 with her 14-second victory over Cat Zingano. She also strengthened her claim for top honors on the UFC's pound-for-pound rankings. But nary a bout ca read news >>

Dana White: Ronda Rousey is 'the female version' of Mike Tyson

After staying undefeated at UFC 184 on Saturday night in Los Angeles, Ronda Rousey is doing something special in the sport of mixed martial arts. That's made all the more true when one factors in her read news >>

Video: Dana White on Ronda Rousey's UFC 184 victory, 'What do I do with this girl?'

"This Cat Zingano fight I was like man this fight is going to be a war. Cat's strong, tough, durable... you know. Ronda is... What do I do with this girl? What do I do with this girl? I keep joking s read news >>