Ray Sefo did some research before signing Rousimar Palhares. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

World Series of Fighting President President Ray Sefo wasn’t sure he wanted to bring Rousimar Palhares into his promotion.

The Brazilian has a reputation for holding submissions after his opponents have tapped, and he also tested positive for elevated testosterone after his December 2012 bout against Hector Lombard.

Ahead of Palhares’ WSOF debut Saturday against welterweight champion Steve Carl, Sefo joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the signing, Palhares’ past and more.

On signing Palhares: “When it was first brought to my attention, I already had seen Dana White’s interview. I had seen the reasons why he was cut. Then I did a little bit more research and found out that he had been suspended once or twice prior to this. So right away, it was a red flag for me to say no, but after talking to the team and then [matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz] had been going back and forth with Rousimar’s camp and then Nogueira, Antonio Nogueira, became one of his coaches/mentor and gave us his word that he was going to be fully responsible but also at the same time he was going to be working with him a lot, mentally, physically and about his game as well. And then obviously the interview that Renzo Gracie did. … So I had to really kind of sit back and look at the whole picture.”

On what swayed him: “When you really look at it, the guy hasn’t permanently hurt anybody, although he’s been considered a dirty fighter. He hasn’t permanently injured or damaged anybody. And then I did a little bit more research. I talked to some people that know him really well. He’s a really down-to-earth guy, simple guy, family man. This is a guy that lived under a bridge at one point in his life. There’s a lot of things. Now that he has a family and what have you -- listen, I truly understand. Listen, Nevada is known as the second chance state, and for us, we’re in America, the land of the free, and we’ve got to give people opportunity. The opportunity, I weighed up everything, the pros and cons, and Ali finally convinced me. So we said yeah, absolutely.”

On whether Palhares has a short leash: “Absolutely. I’ve actually made that clear to him and his team. I’ve been very loud about it as well. I’m not going to tolerate any of that nonsense.”

On what might have led to Palhares’ prior incidents: “I truly believe that the guy’s a nice guy and everything, but then again, I just recently found out some information. When I say that, I mean three weeks ago. His coach, that’s the way he was coached. You go back in the history of the UFC, I believe Royce [Gracie] when he fought Ken Shamrock, submitted Ken, Ken tapped, and then when the referee [intervened], Ken said he didn’t tap. … And then Rousimar’s coach … the same thing happened with him. So he’s been coached to be this guy that when it goes to that kind of submission, he’s going to hold on tight until the referee’s there. Again, that being said, I won’t tolerate any -- obviously, if I clearly see the referee’s going, ‘Stop, stop, stop, stop,’ and he doesn’t, then that’s definitely not going to be tolerated.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:28:40).

WSOF 23: Gaethje vs. Palomino 2 Live Prelims Stream, Friday at 7 p.m ET

Watch the World Series of Fighting 23: Gaethje vs. Palomino 2 preliminary bouts stream live worldwide on MMAWeekly.com, Friday, Sept. 18, at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT. read news >>

Jon Fitch: Athletic commissions ‘failed miserably' to prevent Rousimar Palhares situation

PHOENIX -- Few would blame Jon Fitch if he took a little satisfaction in the current plight of ex-World Series of Fighting champion Rousimar Palhares. After all, it was Palhares who stonewalled Fitch read news >>

Jake Shields Gets Community Service for Role in Fight with Rousimar Palhares

The Nevada State Athletic Commission handed out some discipline to a California MMA fighter at their Monday hearing. No, we're not talking about Nick Diaz. Welterweight Jake Shields received 50 hours read news >>

Rousimar Palhares and Caio Magalhaes NSAC hearings postponed until October 2015

Rousimar Palhares and Caio Magalhaes will continue to ride the pine as their disciplinary hearings -- which were set to go down earlier today (Mon., Sept. 14, 2015) in front of Nevada State Athletic read news >>

NAC requires Jake Shields to do community service for punching Rousimar Palhares after bell

There will be no suspension for Jake Shields. The Nevada Athletic Commission handed down a punishment of community service Monday for Shields with regards to his punching Rousimar Palhares after the read news >>

NSAC hits Jake Shields with 50 hours of community service for role in WSOF debacle opposite Rousimar Palhares

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) headliner Jake Shields appeared before Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) earlier today (Mon., Sept. 14, 2015), to answer for his role in some post-fight shenanig read news >>

Nevada Athletic Commission postpones Rouismar Palhares, Caio Magalhaes disciplinary hearings

The expected disciplinary hearings for ex-WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares and UFC middleweight Caio Magalhaes were postponed until Oct. at a Monday meeting of the Nevada Athletic Commiss read news >>

NAC hearing for Nick Diaz and Rousimar Palhares live discussion & updates

The Nevada Athletic Commission will be live on Fight Pass today at 12 PM ET to address the drug test failure of Nick Diaz, as well as Rousimar Palhares' latest submission holding controversy. Christm read news >>

WSOF signs veterans Caros Fodor and Cory Devela to multi-year contracts

The World Series of Fighting announced a couple of free agent signings on Friday. Lightweight Strikeforce/ONE FC veteran Caros Fodor — the brother of Ben Fodor, a.k.a. Phoenix Jones — and middleweigh read news >>

NSAC summons Nick Diaz, as well as Jake Shields and Rousimar Palhares, to Sept. 14 disciplinary hearing

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) recently summoned mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters Nick Diaz, Rousimar Palhares, and Jake Shields for its upcoming disciplinary hearing in Las Vegas next Tues read news >>