Ratner: Silva Loss at UFC 142 Will Not Be Overturned


Erick Silva's disqualification loss to Carlo Prater at UFC 142 will not be overturned, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner said in a release on Thursday.

Silva caught Prater with a knee before landing a flurry of strikes on the ground to earn an apparent stoppage 29 seconds into the opening frame of their middleweight bout. However, referee Mario Yamasaki ruled that Silva was disqualified for landing illegal blows to the back of his opponent's head, giving Prater the victory. Replays appeared to indicate that at least one of Silva's punches landed to the back of Prater's head.

"Based on the referee's verbal warnings and his determination that the blows were intentional and a disqualifying foul, this is not the type of decision that can be reviewed. Therefore the decision stands," Ratner said. "Recently, Zuffa has decided to implement the use of instant replay at all international events that are self-regulated and to encourage all regulators to consider the feasibility and effectiveness of instant replay in the sport of MMA. While instant replay would not have reversed the call in the Silva-Prater bout, we believe that it could be valuable to referees and the sport in the future."

Silva was awarded an undisclosed win bonus for the Jan. 14 event, which took place at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. Both of the 27-year-old's UFC appearances have been brief, as he earned a 40-second technical knockout victory over Luis Ramos in August. Prater, meanwhile, now has five consecutive victories dating back to February 2011.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC president Dana White didn't foresee the Nevada Athletic Commission issuing a lifetime ban to Wanderlei Silva. But he knew the troubled former champion was in for some sort of major punishment, si read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 36 views

On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission issued Wanderlei Silva a lifetime ban and fined him $70,000 for dodging a drug test prior to his UFC 175 bout against Chael Sonnen. read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 21 views

UFC president Dana White reacts to Wanderlei Silva being banned for life by the Nevada Athletic Commission, saying he didn't see a lifetime ban coming. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 13 views

On Friday UFC president Dana White said Wanderlei Silva has been blackballed from induction in the Hall of Fame. read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 8 views

The UFC president is firing back at criticism from the embittered MMA legend with some facts and figures. UFC president Dana White spoke to Brazil's Globo about Wanderlei Silva's bitter recrimination read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 13 views

UFC president Dana White takes umbrage to recently retired Wanderlei Silva's claims that the UFC doesn't share the wealth. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

Mark Hunt continues to impress inside the Octagon. Following a knockout loss to Junior dos Santos in May 2013, many may have figured Hunt wouldn't be able to get that close to a heavyweight title sho read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 362 views

There were few other fights that the UFC could pull together that would excite fans more than Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz did when the bout was first announced earlier this year. In the blue corner read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 416 views

Wanderlei Silva is taking a stand against the UFC, and given the response by former champions and longtime contenders, he is not alone. The former Pride and UFC legend shocked the world on Friday by read news >>