Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Morning Report: Rashad Evans and Kenny Florian discuss penalties for Jon Jones, including stripping his UFC title

This time, something needs to be done about UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. That, being the general sentiment shared between UFC commentator Kenny Florian and former light heavyweight champ read news >>

Rashad Evans weighs in on Jon Jones' hit-and-run incident

Former teammate and opponent of Jon Jones - Rashad Evans, comments on the light heavyweight champ's recent run-in with the law. Rashad Evans is the latest fighter to weigh in on Jon Jones' hit-and-ru read news >>

Rashad Evans wishes things went down differently between him and Jon Jones

LOS ANGELES -- Rashad Evans might have some tough decisions coming up. His Blackzilians teammate Anthony Johnson is challenging for the UFC light heavyweight title in May. Vitor Belfort, another one read news >>

Rashad Evans says he 'didn't handle everything right' with former friend Jon Jones

Evans looks back on his friendship with Jon Jones and wishes, things would have gone another way. Three years ago, Rashad Evans fought Jon Jones for the UFC light-heavyweight title. The fight marked read news >>

Albuquerque PD: UFC champion Jon Jones sought for questioning in hit-and-run accident

UFC champion Jon Jones is being sought for questioning in a hit-and-run car accident, an Albuquerque Police Department spokesman told MMAFighting.com on Sunday. A middle-aged woman's car was struck S read news >>

Updated Report: Champ Jon Jones' UFC 187 Title Bout in Jeopardy

Jon Jones may not defend his UFC light heavyweight title against Anthony Johnson this May as originally scheduled. Unnamed sources confirmed the news Sunday evening to MMAWeekly.com. (UPDATE: Though read news >>

UPDATE: Light Heavyweight Champ Jon Jones Involved in Car Accident, UFC 187 Fight in Jeopardy

Light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was involved in a car accident and his UFC 187 title fight against Anthony Johnson is in jeopardy, MMAWeekly.com learned on Sunday. read news >>

Report: Jon Jones ruled out of UFC 187 fight against Anthony Johnson

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones' upcoming showdown against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187, which takes place inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, read news >>

Report: Jon Jones out of UFC 187 fight with Anthony Johnson

According to credible reports, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is out of his UFC 187 title defense against Anthony Johnson. Twitter has been afire with rumors about UFC light heavyweight cha read news >>