Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 68: Ryan Bader wants Jon Jones rematch with knockout win over Daniel Cormier

Ryan Bader looks to earn himself a rematch against Jon Jones to prove he's a better fighter than in their initial meeting. And he plans on earning that fight by knocking out Daniel Cormier at UFC Fig read news >>

Ex-champ Rashad Evans on layoff: Like watching 'whole MMA game pass you by'

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Rashad Evans knows that a single mistake during ACL surgery rehabilitation could set him back significantly, but he’s mentally targeting a September return to the UFC.Filed under: read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson on UFC 187 main event: Anthony Johnson hits harder but Jon Jones will win the fight

Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson suggests that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Jon Jones, but expects the defending champ to retain the title. read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Daniel Cormier might lose his s--t around Jon Jones

"There is no relationship between Jon and I. He won. He won on January 3, but that's pretty much all that happened. Nothing changed. Nothing will change and we will fight again. We'll make sure the r read news >>

Morning Report: Daniel Cormier says he can't promise he wouldn't 'lose his s**t' if he ran into Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier might be getting over the loss, but he's certainly not done with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Jones scored a unanimous decision victory over Cormier in the main event at U read news >>

UFC 187: Alexander Gustafsson says Anthony Johnson punches harder, but Jon Jones wins the fight

It looks like "Rumble's" punching power won't be enough to dethrone "Bones," according to "The Mauler." When looking at the most powerful punchers in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), Anthony Johnson read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson fight 'won't happen' at UFC 187, 'mark my words'

Uh oh. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is going to defend his title against division No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson in the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) main e read news >>

Drug Test? Injury? Chael Sonnen says UFC 187's Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson 'won't happen, mark my words'

Chael Sonnen gave interesting answers about Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson and Anderson Silva's failed drug test Chael Sonnen was on Reddit for one of their 'Ask Me Anything' sessions, and the former read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson hits harder than Jon Jones

Swedish light heavyweight star Alexander Gustafsson's opinion of the UFC 187 matchup between UFC champion Jon Jones and challenger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson carries more weight than most. Gustafsson, read news >>