Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Jon Anik picking Cruz over champ Dillashaw due to McGregor-like confidence

Jon Anik remembers the time he sat between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans prior to their fight at UFC 145. “They went 90 minutes straight, and after one minute (and 15 seconds), I didn’t say a word,” he read news >>

The New Kaiju King: Jon Jones Would Destroy Godzilla Inside of 2 Rounds

Jon Jones' latest Instagram posts are the equivalent of sirens blaring to warn of Godzilla coming ashore. They are an omen of impending destruction. And absolutely no one is safe. He is coming back t read news >>

Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196, Wants Heavyweight Title

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones has revealed he would be willing to fight heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic at UFC 196?but only if the heavyweight title is on the line. The u read news >>

Hot Tweet: Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Monday said that he would fight Stipe Miocic in the UFC 196 main event on Feb. 6... with one condition. read news >>

UFC 196: Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at HWT Is Too Big, Too Crazy to Pass Up

If the old cliche is true and “luck” is what happens when preparation meets opportunity—well, the UFC, Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic all have a chance to get really lucky right now. But the window is fl read news >>

Stipe Miocic: I didn't turn down UFC 196 headliner with Jon Jones

Stipe Miocic went from a contender on the sidelines, to a potential UFC 196 headliner and title challenger, back to the sidelines in a matter of a few days. But one thing he’s not? A fight-ducker.Fil read news >>

Report: UFC Targeting Rashad Evans vs. Shogun Rua for UFC on Fox 19

Brazilian news outlet Combate reported on Wednesday that the UFC is looking to pit Rashad Evans against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua on the UFC on Fox 19 event on April 16. read news >>

UFC: Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones II will be announced in coming days

NEWARK, N.J. – Get ready for the rematch between UFC light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and ex-titleholder Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Official: Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier Rematch in the Works

It looks like Jon Jones will return to competition soon, and when he does, it will be for the title he never lost. The former UFC light heavyweight champion, who was stripped of his belt and suspende read news >>