Rashad Evans Wants to Teach UFC Champ Jon Jones a Lesson

• submit to reddit
Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. read news >>

With friends like these... I know what some of you are thinking: Who cares what a WWE wrestler and Hollywood actor thinks? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), apparently, as the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion recently put "Hercules" on the cover of its latest magazine, along with an excerpt about his relationship with several prominent fighters (and one surprise prediction). From UFC.com: "I always have my eyes on the champions, specifically the heavyweight and light heavyw read news >>

In a case of life imitating a Mania thread, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones sent his new challenger, Daniel Cormier, a direct message on Twitter. As the saying goes, we live in interesting times. Times when mixed martial arts (MMA) champions send small bursts of texts straight to their replacement opponents. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones went with the new times, while replacement challenger Daniel Cormier -- who tonight was anointed the next N read news >>

New Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender Daniel Cormier (because of this) talks about his last sparring session with longtime training partner and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (1:20 mark), which threw him for a loop because Velasquez was trying to emulate Jon Jones -- complete with side kick to the knee. "DC" told him to pump the brakes on that (for now) because they're still nine weeks out from UFC 178, where Cormier will attempt to break "Bones" for read news >>

Rasahd Evans gives an update on his surgically repaired knee, as he eyes a return to action in February of 2015 against anyone UFC matchmakers see fit, as long as it's not fellow Blackzilian, Anthony Johnson. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans has been riding the pine after ACL surgery forced him out of his fight against Daniel Cormier at UFC 170 earlier this year. Though he's still not 100 percent, "Suga" says everything is on track for him to ma read news >>

There are things former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will and won't do. First up, getting healthy and returning to the Octagon is 'Suga's' top priority. He will do that. As he told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour, he suspects early 2015 is when he'll finally be able to get off the sidelines. "I want to return in February," Evans said, since being on the proverbial bench from an injury he sustained in February of this year. "That's just me giving myself enough time to make s read news >>

• 8 hours ago

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has suffered a cut above his left eye with about two months left before his UFC 178 title defense against Daniel Cormier.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The rematch will have to wait, but UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones still has a big fight on the horizon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>