Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Rashad Evans vs. Tim Kennedy Fight Announced for UFC 205: Details, Reaction

Rashad Evans will make his return to the Octagon in November as a middleweight and challenge Tim Kennedy at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden in New York. Evans made the announcement during an intervi read news >>

Daniel Cormier Irate if Jon Jones Fights Anthony Johnson with Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is not happy about the idea that Jon Jones could defend the interim title against Anthony Johnson in his return. read news >>

What if Jon Jones Returned at Heavyweight? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez Don't Like It | MMAWeekly.com

What if Jon Jones returned to the Octagon as a heavyweight and fought Stipe Miocic? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez tear the idea apart. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Skips Jon Jones, Calls Out Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Anthony Johnson isn't waiting around for Jon Jones, he's taking aim at UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Defends Welterweight Title at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Although he'd been angling for "big money" fights, welterweight champ Tyron Woodley will have to settle for putting his belt on the line at UFC New York. read news >>

What Does Everyone Else Deserve When Jon Jones Returns? | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Dahl-USA TODAY Sports Jon Jones has reduced the UFC's 205-pound weight class to a supporting cast of characters, and he's done it by barely fighting at all. The long-reigning light he read news >>

Dan Henderson: Who is the One Fighter He Wishes He'd Fought? (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Who is the one fighter that Dan Henderson wishes he could have fought that he hasn't in his nearly 20-year career? read news >>

Eric Spicely was told he'd been cut before UFC Fight Night 95 upset of Thiago 'Marreta' Santos

The sale of the UFC to WME-IMG turned out to be a blessing for Eric Spicely. The middleweight said he was informed he had been cut at the same time as being offered a fight with Thiago “Marreta” Sant read news >>

Rashad Evans talks UFC 205, Conor McGregor

• 16 hours ago

Rashad Evans talks about facing Tim Kennedy at UFC 205 in New York, dropping down to middleweight and Conor McGregor attempting to hold simultaneous UFC belts. read news >>