Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Two UFC Veterans Allege Jon Jones Tested Positive for Estrogen Blockers

Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen allege that Jon Jones tested positive for estrogen blockers in the drug test that led to him being pulled from UFC 200. read news >>

Bad Blood Boils Over Between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen

Chael Sonnen's recent comments on Jon Jones being yanked from UFC 200 has stirred a hornet's nest, and now there's some choice words between the two camps. read news >>

Nevada Identifies Jon Jones Flagged Substances, Extends His Suspension

The Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday confirmed two substances that interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for prior to UFC 200. read news >>

Jon Jones Tested Positive for Anti-Estrogen, NSAC Approves Temporary Suspension

Current interim UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has received a "temporary suspension" after testing positive for two estrogen blockers. Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie reported the suspension M read news >>

Jon Jones Takes to Twitter, Admits ‘I’m a Victim of My Own Ignorance’

UFC Interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones broke his silence on Monday, and took to social media to explain the potential anti-doping violation that kept him off UFC 200. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Allegedly Tested Positive for Same Estrogen Blocker as Jon Jones

According to a report from the Los Angeles Times, Brock Lesnar allegedly tested positive for one of the same substances as Jon Jones. read news >>

Holly Holm on Jon Jones Doping Violation: ‘We stick together as a team’ (Video)

As distracting as Jon Jones' recent anti-doping violation might be, teammate Holly Holm said, while Jackson-Wink MMA sticks together, she has remained focused. read news >>

How Greg Jackson and Brandon Gibson Prepared Landon Vannata for the UFC

"This man got mad squabbles," said Rashad Evans during the post-fight show following the UFC's Fight Night card in Sioux Falls on July 13. The former light heavyweight champion was referring to UFC d read news >>

Jon Jones’ NFL Star Brother, Arthur Jones, Suspended for PEDs Violation

On Friday, Jon Jones' brother, NFL star Arthur Jones, was suspended for violating that league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Won't Be Fined by UFC for Failed Drug Test

• a day ago

Jon "Bones" Jones is in the midst of an indefinite suspension after failing a drug test prior to UFC 200, but the former light heavyweight champion will not be fined by the UFC. According to Marc Rai read news >>