Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Ronda Rousey's UFC dominance outpacing Jon Jones, Georges St-Pierre, Anderson Silva

With Ronda Rousey’s win over Cat Zingano in the main event of UFC 184, she has once again shown an amazing ability to dominate the best that her division has to offer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones admits he will 'never' look at Anderson Silva as a cheater

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he does not consider the former middleweight kingpin a cheater. Last month, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva sent shockwaves throu read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones will not label Anderson Silva as a 'cheater'

Friends don't call each other cheaters. "When you go through a situation like he's gone through, there's a lot of medical people that are gonna advise you to do this or that to heal yourself. I'll ne read news >>

Daniel Cormier criticizes Anthony Johnson for fake brawl with UFC champ Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

Jon Jones talks UFC Super Fight: I believe I'll beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

"When" Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight, he says he's confident that he has all the tools to beat the champ in Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones will be looking to defend his belt for the 9th time against A read news >>

Jon Jones back on heavyweight train, believes he could beat champ Velasquez

UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones is still thinking about moving up a division, changing his mind after previously writing off fights at heavyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones and his legal team looking into 'foul play' behind UFC 182 drug test fiasco

Prior to his UFC 182 title defense against Daniel Cormier earlier this year in Las Vegas, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine metabolites in an out-of-competition dru read news >>

Jon Jones Aware of Some 'Foul Play' Regarding His Positive Drug Test (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones talks about his renewed interest in Cain Velasquez and the belief there was "foul play" regarding his positive drug test. read news >>

UFC Stars Conor McGregor and Jon Jones Battle in Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots

Who is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC? Is it Conor McGregor? Is it Jon Jones? Or is it Ronda Rousey? Maybe the newcomer Paige VanZant? We'll never know due to weight classes, but there i read news >>