Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Jon Jones 'felt really bad' seeing former teammate, opponent Rashad Evans lose

Jon Jones has a long and at times strenuous relationship with Rashad Evans. However, “Bones” made is clear he took no bliss from seeing Evans knocked out cold by Glover Teixeira at UFC on FOX 19.File read news >>

Rashad Evans asked for Jon Jones rematch, but UFC on FOX 19 booking nixed that

Rashad Evans definitely wanted another crack at Jon Jones and asked the UFC for the opportunity. The problem was, as it often is, bad timing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, read news >>

Rashad Evans regrets wasting energy on UFC 145 mental warfare with Jon Jones

As Rashad Evans approaches the four-year anniversary of his UFC 145 title loss to Jon Jones, he said he still desires another opportunity to mix it up with his former rival.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mike Tyson Discusses 'Phenomenal' Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey and Jon Jones

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has hailed Conor McGregor as the most fascinating personality in the UFC ahead of the likes of Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey. Speaking with Nick Peet read news >>

Will Ring Rust Be a Factor for Jon Jones and Khabib Nurmagomedov?

The long-awaited return of Khabib Nurmagomedov to action this Saturday and the reappearance of prodigal light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at UFC 197 on April 23 marks the end of long stretches of read news >>

UFC on FOX 19's Rashad Evans talks title aspirations, and some advice for Saint Preux

TAMPA, Fla. – After battling ring rust in a previous bout, ex-champ Rashad Evans feels more like himself coming into a fight with Glover Teixeira in the headliner of UFC on FOX 19. Filed under: Featu read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Weigh-in Results: Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans Officially Set

Following several shake-ups in the days leading up to the event, UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira vs. Evans is finally official after the fighters weighed in on Friday. read news >>

Who ya got?!? Fellow fighters predict UFC's Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans headliner

TAMPA, Fla. – Who wins UFC on FOX 19’s light heavyweight main event between Brazilian slugger Glover Teixeira and former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans? Their fellow fighters give their read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Glover Teixeira vs. Rashad Evans

UFC commentator Joe Rogan breaks down the UFC on FOX 19 main event between Glover Teixeira and Rashad Evans. read news >>

UFC 197’s Jon Jones: I'd be honored to headline MSG, but would Daniel Cormier?

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones welcomed a showdown with rival champ Daniel Cormier at UFC 205, but he’s not holding all the cards when it comes to his future. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>