Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

There's a Possibility Jon Jones Never Fights Again, According to Head Coach

Usually when you see "Jon Jones" and "coach" in the same sentence, you think Greg Jackson. But Jackson is one half of the head coaching team at the world-renowned gym down in Albuquerque, New Mexico. read news >>

Coach uncertain about Jones’ future: Jones is getting help for himself; fighting is secondary

Coach Mike Winkeljohn remains uncertain whether former champion Jon Jones will return to MMA. read news >>

Coach: Jon Jones back in the gym helping his team, but may never fight in UFC again

It's been just over a month since former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was involved in a hit-and-run car accident, one that sent a pregnant woman to the ho read news >>

Morning Report: Coach Mike Winkeljohn believes 'there's a possibility' Jon Jones never fights again, says Daniel Cormier

Coach Mike Winkeljohn has never been afraid to tell it like it is. The head trainer at Jackson's MMA in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Winkeljohn hasn't been thrilled with prized pupil and former UFC light read news >>

Jon Jones' manager Malki Kawa: UFC mocking the belt with Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson title fight

Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier will defend his 205-pound strap against new division No. 1 contender Alexander Gustafsson in the main event of read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Malki Kawa slams Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Jon Jones manager, Malki Kawa ridicules the Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson light-heavyweight title fight. Yesterday, the UFC announced that Daniel Cormier's first light-heavyweight title def read news >>

Rashad Evans wants Ryan Bader fight in September return to UFC

Out of action since his UFC 167 technical knockout victory over Chael Sonnen back in November of 2013, former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is targeting a return to the Octagon in Septe read news >>

Former UFC champ Rashad Evans aims for September return, wants Ryan Bader

Rashad Evans’ long injury layoff appears to have an end in sight. The ex-UFC light heavyweight champion, who tore his ACL in early 2014, said he’s targeting a return in September – and wants Ryan Bad read news >>

Rashad Evans wants to face Ryan Bader in UFC return

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans wants to return in September and already has an opponent in mind. It's been 19 months since we have seen Rashad Evans compete in the Octagon, with read news >>

Rashad Evans Plans Fall Return, Wants Ryan Bader in 1st Fight Back

The carousel at the top of the light heavyweight division spun off its usual course Wednesday, in part because one of its former champions, Rashad Evans, has apparently found a firm time frame for hi read news >>