Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

VIDEO: Daniel Cormier on Jon Jones Legal Woes and Rashad Evans Being Next

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier weighs in on stripped former champion Jon Jones' legal woes and his belief that Rashad Evans will be next. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Rashad Evans and Joseph Benavidez

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Rashad Evans and Joseph Benavidez.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 192's Tyron Woodley: Jon Jones will be highest-paid fighter when he returns

UFC welterweight Tyron Woodley sees interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor on par with women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey when it comes to star power.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Longs for a Rematch with ‘The Greatest Fighter of All Time,’ Jon Jones

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier believes that he needs to rematch and defeat former titleholder Jon Jones to solidify his mixed martial arts career. read news >>

Video: Sneak peek at Jackson, Winkeljohn 'Inside MMA' interview on Jon Jones' future

On Friday’s edition of “Inside MMA” on AXS TV, Kenny Rice will talk to two of the men who know Jon Jones best – his coaches in Albuquerque. Get an exclusive sneak peek of the interview inside. Filed read news >>

The Comeback: Suddenly, Jon Jones' name is coming up a lot again

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Monday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Bella read news >>

Despite rib and cartilage injury, 'King Mo' says he'd fight Fedor if asked

After a rib injury forced him to the sidelines, “King Mo” Lawal was forced out of this past Saturday’s light-heavyweight tournament at Bellator 142. But he’s already got some potential next opponents read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson's preferred fight – Daniel Cormier title bout, or Jon Jones rematch?

STOCKHOLM – Two-time UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson isn’t going anywhere, but he has a good idea about whom he’d fight if forced to hang up his gloves. Filed under: Featu read news >>

Stripped UFC Champ Jon Jones Headed for Plea Deal

It appears that Jon Jones, stripped of the UFC light heavyweight championship, is headed to a court date to enter a plea bargain agreement. read news >>

Sept. 29 plea hearing set for ex-UFC champ Jon Jones

Former UFC light heavyweight-champion Jon Jones will go before a New Mexico judge on Sept. 29 to plead on a felony charge stemming from his alleged involvement in a hit-and-run in April.Filed under: read news >>