Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Fact! Chris Weidman isn't leaving MMA without fighting Jon Jones

Of course, that's assuming "Bones" ever fights again. Never accuse Chris Weidman of avoiding tough challenges. That's the reason Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Middleweight champion is adaman read news >>

Chris Weidman: ‘I know for a fact, I’m not leaving this sport without fighting’ Jon Jones

Jon Jones may be persona non grata in UFC circles right now, but Chris Weidman hasn't forgotten about the former pound-for-pound king. "I know for a fact, I'm not leaving this sport without fighting read news >>

Ryan Bader plans to finish overweight, old and rusty Rashad Evans at UFC 192

Rashad Evans has not competed since Nov. 2013 thanks to several knee-related injuries and surgeries. By the time "Suga" returns to action at UFC 192, which takes place on Oct. 3, 2015, in Houston, Te read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes light heavyweight move, desires Jon Jones superfight

Don't look now, "The All-American" middleweight champion is planning a move up to the light heavyweight division. Chris Weidman can troll ... let's face it. However, there are no doubts behind Weidma read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes eventual light heavyweight move, 'dream matchup' with Jon Jones

In a Q&A session on the New York Mets official Twitter account, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman told fans of his desire to move up a weight class. On Friday, UFC middleweight champion Chris W read news >>

Chris Weidman planning eventual move to 205, wants dream matchup with Jon Jones

Chris Weidman has his next assignment at middleweight. The date is set. But that doesn’t mean he’s not thinking long-term.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown thinks Jon Jones would win the UFC heavyweight title

UFC welterweight slugger Matt Brown doesn't think any fighter has what it takes to beat Jon Jones. Jon Jones may be absent from the Octagon and social media but he's certainly not been missing from t read news >>

Matt Brown: No one has a chance against Jon Jones at light heavyweight ... or even at heavyweight

I'm sure a few big men might take exception to this bold statement .... Matt Brown has a very high opinion of former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion, Jon Jones. In fac read news >>

Video: Daniel Cormier and Rashad Evans have beef after FOX cameras stop rolling

They say there's a little bit of truth behind every joke... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is buddy-buddy with former 205-pound kingpin Rashad Evans, l read news >>

Knuckle Up #353: UFC FN, OSP v. Teixeira, Jon Jones on The Long Slide + why this show is what it is

Literary gunslinger Eugene S. Robinson lends his "one"-of-a-"kind" "perspective" to a KNUCKLE UP only for KNUCKLE UP OBSESSIVES, filmed in a border town from some unknown locale on a completely sketc read news >>