Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC champ Daniel Cormier reveals PPV buy totals, predicts Jon Jones rematch

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier said, at 36, he’s been around long enough to know what’s hot and what’s not.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey 'Willing to Die' in Octagon as Holly Holm Hails Jon Jones Influence

UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has revealed she was willing to die in the Octagon to win a previous bout, as her lucrative showdown with Holly Holm at UFC 193 edges ever closer. Rousey has bl read news >>

UFC: Jon Jones Needles Daniel Cormier over New Mexico Confrontation

Barely one week after his UFC reinstatement, Jon Jones is pulling out all the stops to irritate Daniel Cormier. Jones took to Twitter over the weekend to needle his nemesis in the context of a new ca read news >>

Jon Jones follows up on Daniel Cormier Twitter challenge: 'You on your way p-ssy?'

It looks like now that Jon Jones is back, he’s really back, using some vulgar language in following up on yesterday’s Twitter spat with Daniel Cormier.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Continues to Poke and Prod Daniel Cormier

Never one to leave well enough alone, former champ Jon Jones continued to poke and prod current UFC champion Daniel Cormier on Saturday. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2 Happened on Friday… on Twitter

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2 went down Friday afternoon, sort of, on Twitter. read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier ready to fight in Oklahoma, New Mexico, wherever

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier are at it again. This time, the two men are engaging in a war of words through Twitter.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Is there such thing as a 'code' inside the cage?

In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, Quinton Jackson says Jon Jones is bad for the sport because he injures fighters with dirty moves. Is there a code of conduct fighters expect one another to follow? On read news >>

Daniel Cormier Says He Is Willing to Give Jon Jones Immediate UFC Title Rematch

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is willing to give Jon Jones an immediate chance to reclaim the belt he was stripped of earlier this year. The pair squared off for the title in January, read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>