Rashad Evans Wants to Teach UFC Champ Jon Jones a Lesson

• submit to reddit
Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

See you in "Sin City." Canada? Pfffft. Sweden? As if. The Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson light heavyweight championship rematch, recently booked for the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sept. 27, 2014, now has a place to call home, according to promotion president Dana White. Well, sorta. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Friday (July 4) announced the event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has yet to reveal an official venue, though both MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay ar more

Sorry Torontonians, Las Vegas is the place to be for one of the biggest fights of the year. The first epic clash between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson took place in Toronto, Ontario, and the rematch was supposed to be in the same city. Those plans have been nixed, and on a special edition of UFC Tonight, Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC 178 will be in Las Vegas on 9/27. Believe it or not, it's the first time that Jones has fought in Vegas as a champion, although they tried to accomplish more

"Suga" spoke to MMAmania.com today about the rumors swirling about him having an interest in wrestling for WWE. Brock Lesnar he is not ... yet. Pump the brakes on any thoughts you may have conjured about Rashad Evans leaving Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). A report surfaced yesterday (via Dave Meltzer's The Wrestling Observer newsletter) that stated Evans, "recently inquired regarding going to the WWE." The former UFC Light Heavyweight champion spoke more

• a day ago

Surging UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor has a chance to prove he's truly an elite talent at UFC 178 when he squares off with perennial contender Dustin Poirier. Although the event is headlined by a long-awaited light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, "The Notorious" warns the 205-pound titleholder he's going to make his paycheck for the event a little lighter than usual. Tell Jon I'm taking a cut of his PPV. — Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA more

• a day ago

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

• 22 hours ago

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier are set to face off for the title, and they let their own daughters start the smack talk for them. Alexander Gustafsson had an unfortunate knee injury that forced him out of his much anticipated rematch against Jon Jones, leading to Daniel Cormier stepping in for a title shot. The smack talk between the two has started, but this time, it was led by their adorable daughters. Check it out below: I just talked to @dc_mma on the phone and his little daughter was screamin more

• 15 hours ago

Daniel Cormier has been gunning for Jon Jones for a long time. Even before the former Olympian ever stepped foot in the light heavyweight division, the Louisiana native made sure to let the pound-for-pound phenom know he was coming for his belt. And it was a premonition that is about to come true. While "D.C." entered the UFC fold as a heavyweight, the AKA staple exited the weight class after a pair of high-profile victories. The 35-year-old defeated former champion Frank Mir and heavy-handed sl more

Ronda Rousey says she can beat any BJJ girl in the world, regardless of rules or weight class. UFC champion Ronda Rousey is certainly no stranger to making bold statements about her skills. Whether it's flat out saying she will dominate her UFC opponents, to saying that under the right circumstances she can beat Cain Velasquez, it's just the type of confidence that some athletes have to have with themselves. The former Olympic Judoka is set to face a BJJ black belt in Alexis Davis next, and as s more

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is just nine days away from her next title defense, but she admits it’s hard not to think about the fight after that – or even the one after that.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more