Rashad Evans

Rashad Evans

If Rashad Evans had his choice, he’d opt to fight Jon Jones to get the UFC light heavyweight belt back. Of course, Jones has to get past Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 135 in September, but that’s who Evans wants to take the title from.

“I would prefer to get it from Jones because I would love to be the first one to beat him,” said Evans during the UFC 133 post-fight press conference. “And he’s so cocky. He’s so cocky. You think I’m cocky. He’s real cocky. He’s for real cocky. Like, I’m on camera, joking around cocky. He’s like, goes to sleep, praising himself cocky. That’s how cocky he is.

“I would love to teach him a lesson,” continued Evans. “If he makes it past Rampage then I get a chance to do that, but like I said, he has a tough fight ahead of him. If Rampage does his work, then he could actually do something. I think Rampage should come and train at my camp for this fight.”

It’s personal between Evans and Jones. The former teammates’ falling out played out in the media when Jones replaced Evans at UFC 128, winning the title from Mauricio “Shogun” Rua setting them on a collision course.

Following Evans’ UFC 133 win over Tito Ortiz, Jones tweeted, “Same stuff,” about Evans’ performance.

“That’s fine,” Evans said in reply to Jones’ tweet. “If it’s the same old stuff, that’s probably exactly why he didn’t want to fight me the first time. Jon knows how it went when we trained and he knows if I’m focused and I‘m strong and I’m healthy then he knows he has a fight on his hands.

“Jon’s a tough guy. Jon’s the champion, but I know what Jon’s weak at. He knows where I’m weak at, but we‘ll see who covers those weak areas up first,” said Evans. “He has a tough fight with Rampage. Rampage does move like Frankenstein. He’s not what he used to be in some areas, but I think if he does catch him he could put (Jones) to sleep.”

Evans has waited for title shots before, sitting on the sidelines waiting for scenarios to play themselves out. He’s done with that approach.

“I’m not going to wait by anymore. A fight’s a fight. I just want to fight, and I missed fighting so much that when it’s my time to fight, I’m going to fight. Of course, I’m going to make the smart decision, but at the same time I’m not going to be waiting to fight anymore,” he said.

“I’m 31 years old and I want to go out there and do some things. If I’m the best, I’m the best. I should be the best against fighting whoever I should fight,” he said.

“Dana (White) says it all the time to me, I’ve got to beat everybody anyways if I’m going to be the best. So it doesn’t matter how you stack them up. I’ll knock them down the same.”

Got something to say? Weigh in with a thought of your own in the comments section below.

Jeff Cain is a contributing writer for MMAWeekly.com.
@JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

VIDEO: Jon Jones Talks P4P Top Ranking and Demetrious Johnson’s Claim to It

UFC champion Jon Jones discusses his place in the pound-for-pound rankings and addresses flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson's claim that he's the top pound-for-pound fighter. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2 Announced for UFC 200: Full Match Card, Reaction

After pulling Conor McGregor from the card, the UFC needed to do something drastic to ensure UFC 200 would live up to its status as one of the most highly anticipated pay-per-views of 2016. The compa read news >>

With Conor McGregor Out, Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones Rematch Heads UFC 200

Dana White and a bevy of UFC fighters took over GMA to announce that the rematch between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones would now headline UFC 200. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones 2: Early Odds for UFC 200 Main Event

UFC officially announced Wednesday that the rematch between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier for the light heavyweight championship is set to headline UFC 200 in July. The highly anticipated clash replac read news >>

VIDEO: Dana White’s Big UFC 200 Announcement, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier React

Watch as UFC president Dana White announces the new UFC 200 main event. Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier react to their headlining rematch. read news >>

VIDEO: Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones Steal the Show at UFC 200 New York Press Conference

Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones immediately stole the show, smack talking each other at the UFC 200 press conference at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2: Key Takeaways from UFC 200 Press Conference

A formal announcement by the UFC on Wednesday confirmed Jon "Bones" Jones and Daniel Cormier will headline UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas, and both fighters exuded the utmost confidence in their resp read news >>

UFC 200: Jon Jones Is Loved, Daniel Cormier Is Hated & McGregor Is MIA? Uh, OK

After months of speculation and a week’s worth of utter chaos, UFC 200 finally got its main event on Wednesday and—hold on—let me make sure I have all this right… Jon Jones is in, crashing the party read news >>

Jon Jones: ‘Outside of Me, Daniel Cormier is the Next Best Thing’

Interim light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones says champion Daniel Cormier is 'the next best thing' in the 205-pound division. read news >>

Jon Jones: Can’t Compare Me to Tiger Woods Because I’ve Been Messing Up Longer (Video)

When Jon Jones compared himself to Tiger Woods, he replied, "You can't really compare me to Tiger Woods because I've been messing up a lot longer." read news >>