Rashad Evans’ victory over Dan Henderson in the UFC 161 headliner did not come easily, but the former champion will take it nonetheless.

Evans snatched a split decision from Henderson on Saturday night at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, overcoming a first-round knockdown to halt a two-fight skid and earn his first win since January 2012.

“I felt like I needed to get that win desperately,” Evans told Fox Sports. “When you’re fighting somebody like Dan Henderson with your back against the wall, there are a lot of things going around in your head and a lot of things that people say. No matter how strong you are, it still seems to seep in, and you start thinking that you really need to get that win.”

Prior to his win over Henderson, Evans dropped a unanimous verdict to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira this past February in a lackluster three-rounder at UFC 161. The memory of that uncharacteristically poor performance may have been dampened by tonight’s victory, however, especially due to the strength of Evans’ third round against “Hendo.”

“I felt a bit more nervous [tonight]. I just wanted to perform well. Tonight was all about execution. I felt like, as long as I execute, the performance will take care of itself,” said Evans. “I was somewhat [happy with my performance]. I’ve learned in this game to be happy with a win, because they don’t always come. But the critic -- the analyst in me feels like I could have done better and that there were a lot of things that I didn’t do well that I should have. But that’s part of the game. I’m still growing in this sport, and as long as I have the opportunity to fight again, I’ll fix those things I didn’t do right.”

His victory over Henderson now behind him, Evans said he is open to fighting whomever the UFC places in front of him next, including fellow top-10 talent Glover Teixeira.

“Glover said he’d like to fight [tonight’s] winner,” said Evans. “I’m not calling anybody out... but I’m not turning anybody down. I like to fight.”

Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi in the Works for UFC 204

With Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson targeted as the UFC 204 headliner, a marquee match-up between Vitor Belfort and Gegard Mousasi is also in the works. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Confirmed TUF Latin America 3 Finale Headliner

The UFC confirmed on Tuesday night that a lightweight showdown between Rafael dos Anjos and Tony Ferguson will headline TUF Latin America 3 Finale. read news >>

UFC Confirms Cris Cyborg Brasilia Headliner, Silva vs. Thatch, and Several Other Bouts

UFC officials confirmed Cris Cyborg vs. Lina Lansberg would headline UFC Fight Night 95, as well as announced several other bouts for the fight card. read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Early Weigh-in Results: No Surprises in Salt Lake City

The UFC Fight Night 92 featherweight headliner between Yair Rodriguez and Alex Caceres is set following Friday’s early morning official weigh-in. read news >>

RFA 42 Gets New Headliner

Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA) president Ed Soares announced on Friday that there has been a change at the top of RFA 42 read news >>

UFC 202 Free Fight: Glover Teixeira Submits Ovince Saint Preux

Glover Teixeira submitted Ovince Saint Preux in a light heavyweight fight between top contenders at UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs Saint Preux. read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

Making Glover Teixeira: Urban legend to UFC star

Glover Teixeira was once an MMA urban legend. Now he finds himself in the co-main event at UFC 202 against Anthony Johnson on August 20. read news >>