Randy Couture

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show.  In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike.  It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows.  I’ve never been to Bellator.  That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White).  He’s not one for details.  But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series.  Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows.  You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified.  There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun.  I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana.  They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana.  They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that.  They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2327 with Randy Couture, Michael Chandler and Eric Nicksick

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with Randy Couture, Michael Chandler and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Would Have Lost 'Millions of Dollars' for Throwing Chair | MMAWeekly.com

Pre-fight mayhem has become the norm for fight cards featuring UFC champion Conor McGregor, and things nearly got out of control on Thursday. read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Ronda Rousey Shrugs Off Dana White After Amanda Nunes Face-off | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey made a surprise appearance at the UFC 205 weigh-in, but things didn't go all that smoothly when Dana White tried to get her to talk. read news >>

Bellator 164 results: Douglas Lima drops Andrey Koreshkov to reclaim title

More than a year after losing his title, Douglas Lima knocked out Andrey Koreshkov to avenge a loss and take back the Bellator welterweight title.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Douglas Lima Recaptures Welterweight Title at Bellator 164 in Israel | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator's first event in Israel, "Bellator 164: Koreshkov vs. Lima," was capped by Douglas Lima recapturing the welterweight championship. read news >>

Conor McGregor Snags a Second Belt and a Bonus at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced the fighter bonuses stemming from UFC 205 during the event's post-fight press conference at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Video: Watch Dana White's full post-UFC 205 interview with the media in New York

NEW YORK – After Saturday’s historic UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden in New York, UFC President Dana White met with the media.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White got Tyron Woodley's belt to put around Conor McGregor's waist after UFC 205 win

NEW YORK – As it turns out, the second UFC belt given to Conor McGregor wasn’t his featherweight title. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson 2, Michael Bisping vs. Yoel Romero likely

NEW YORK – UFC President Dana White doesn’t like to match-make on fight night, but he sure had a lot of ideas about potential scraps after UFC 205. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>