Randy Couture

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show.  In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike.  It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows.  I’ve never been to Bellator.  That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White).  He’s not one for details.  But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series.  Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows.  You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified.  There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun.  I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana.  They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana.  They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that.  They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC Fight Night 95: What If Cris Cyborg Actually Lost?

No one is anticipating Cris Cyborg is about to suffer a major upset at the hands of Lina Lansberg this weekend at UFC Fight Night 95. Actually, most people who’ve been watching the Brazilian througho read news >>

Yves Edwards: If you're Lina Lansberg, fight 'Cyborg' the way she's already lost

UFC commentator and retired fighter Yves Edwards isn’t about to make a bold upset prediction in the case of Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 headliner. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Chael Sonnen vs. Tito Ortiz will not take place at Bellator 165 in San Jose

Newly minted Bellator fighter Chael Sonnen got a little ahead of himself in announcing a fight with Tito Ortiz on Nov. 19 at Bellator 165. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Kevin 'Baby Slice' Ferguson, Jr.'s Pro Debut Set for Bellator 162 | MMAWeekly.com

The preliminary portion of "Bellator 162: Shlemenko vs. Grove" is official, including the professional debut of Kevin "Baby Slice" Ferguson, Jr. read news >>

Bellator 162 lineup complete for Memphis, including delayed pro debut of 'Baby Slice'

Next month’s lineup for Bellator 162 is complete with a whopping 12 fights on the preliminary card, including the highly anticipated pro debut of Kevin Ferguson Jr. – “Baby Slice.”Filed under: Bellat read news >>

Ronda Rousey 'Absolutely' Wants Cris Cyborg UFC Fight, Says Dana White

UFC President Dana White has said former bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey "absolutely, positively wants to fight" Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris Cyborg. White was asked about the possibilit read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Dana White thinks Ronda Rousey will fight before the end of 2016

Dana White believes Ronda Rousey is ready for a comeback sooner rather than later. read news >>

Dana White: If Conor McGregor Wins Second Belt, It Will Be a Short Reign | MMAWeekly.com

If Conor McGregor wins the lightweight championship at UFC 205 in New York, he would become a two-division champion. If so, it could be a short reign. read news >>

Dana White explains booking Alvarez vs. McGregor for UFC 205, says Nurmagomedov wants Johnson

After a week of speculation over the UFC 205 main event, including UFC President Dana White tweeting Khabib Nurmagomedov was next up for lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, the promotion surprised every read news >>