Randy Couture

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show.  In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike.  It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows.  I’ve never been to Bellator.  That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White).  He’s not one for details.  But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series.  Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows.  You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified.  There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun.  I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana.  They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana.  They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that.  They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Why Bobby Lashley isn't pining for a potential fight with Kimbo Slice

Outside the cage, Bellator heavyweights Bobby Lashley and “Kimbo Slice” share a relationship, one that’s cordial, but not necessarily close. Still, it makes at least one of them a little uncomfortabl read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Rory MacDonald Believes 19-Year-Old UFC Newcomer Sage Northcutt Has Bright Future

Nineteen-year-old Sage Northcutt wowed UFC president Dana White when the promotion’s executive attended Legacy Fighting Championship 42 over the summer. read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>