Randy Couture

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show.  In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike.  It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows.  I’ve never been to Bellator.  That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White).  He’s not one for details.  But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series.  Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows.  You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified.  There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun.  I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana.  They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana.  They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that.  They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dana White: UFC released Josh Thomson

Bellator officially announced Tuesday evening that it had inked MMA veteran Josh Thomson to a new multi-fight contract. In a press release to announce the move, Thomson appeared to take exception wit read news >>

Bellator champ warns Doubting Thomases: 'Quick' Fedor Emelianenko hasn't lost anything during hiatus

• a day ago

Ring rust? Pfffft. C'mon son, this is Fedor Emelianenko we're talking about. The former PRIDE heavyweight champion is expected to make his return to mixed martial arts (MMA) later this year (details) read news >>

Dana White: UFC 190 PPV buys trending bigger than UFC 189

It has been one heck of a summer for Dana White and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Forget Cris Cyborg, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) needs to book Ronda Rousey vs. Conor McGregor next! read news >>

UFC president Dana White claims WWE is 'fake sh*t,' Twitter erupts in anger

Some people get fired for this, but it's all in a day's trolling work for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, who took to Twitter recently to criticize professional wrestling o read news >>

Dana White: Correia 'absolutely' knew Rousey's father committed suicide

Dana White says Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew about Ronda Rousey's father committing suicide before she made the suicide insult. Earlier in May, bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia may have read news >>

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>

Dana White: UFC 190's Bethe Correia intentionally used suicide remarks to play 'head games' with Ronda Rousey

Remember when Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's Bantamweight title contender Bethe Correia jiu-jitsued her foot in her mouth when she said she hopes Ronda Rousey doesn't commit suicide aft read news >>

Morning Report: Andrei Arlovski begging Dana White for chance to 'f**k up' Fedor Emelianenko

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski is in talks to face Frank Mir at UFC 191 in September, but he's hungry for revenge. With chatter that former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianen read news >>

Fight Path: WSOF 22 fighter Donavon Frelow's sad tie to killing of Boyz II Men manager

Donavon Frelow lost a male role model, his stepfather, when he was a kid. The man was Khalil Rountree, who was Boyz II Men’s road manager.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Bellator 142: 'Dynamite' fight card gets Zack Mwekassa vs Saulo Cavalari rematch for vacant GLORY light heavyweight titl

Bellator 142: "Dynamite," which takes place at SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., on Sept. 19, 2005, has its kickboxing main event set for the upcoming hybrid card. GLORY today (July 30, 2015) announced read news >>