Jon ‘Bones’ Jones has the first contender ready to challenge for his UFC light heavyweight title, if he can get medical clearance.

Heading into his UFC 130 fight with Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson had a fractured hand that happened when he was enjoying the holidays maybe just a little bit too much, but if he can recover in time he will get the next shot at the 205lb title.

Jackson mentioned the injury in his post fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and then expanded on how it happened during the press conference after the event.

“Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December/Christmas, drunken around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up,” Jackson explained.

“I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it.”

The injury didn’t prevent Jackson from dominating Hamill for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 130, and according to UFC President Dana White if the hand is healthy he will get the shot at Jones next.

“If he’s okay, yeah,” White answered when asked if Rampage would get the title shot versus Jones. “We’ve got to get him looked at by a doctor, then we’ll figure it out, and we’ll go from there.”

Rampage seemed confident following the event that he would be able to keep busy and accept the fight with Jones later this year.

The former UFC champion still regards the light heavyweight title as his, and while he has no personal beef with Jones, he wants the gold currently wrapped around his waist. That’s all the motivation he needs.

“I don’t really know Jones, I don’t got nothing against him. He has my belt,” Rampage expressed. “I still feel like I didn’t lose that belt. It’s not his fault that he got my belt, it’s my fault.”

Jones is still currently sidelined for at least another 2 weeks with a cast on his hand while he let’s his own injured thumb heal. If Jackson gets clearance as well as Jones, the two light heavyweights could be paired for a fight in late September or early October.

For now however, both will have to depend on physicians to declare them ready before UFC President Dana White can put them in the Octagon together.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

John Dodson: Jon Jones 'wasn't the perfect angel that everyone thought he was to be'

LOS ANGELES -- John Dodson might have come up with the best analogy yet for Jon Jones and his situation. Or at least the funniest. Dodson, Jones' teammate at Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA in Albuquerque, N. read news >>

'Shogun' Rua on UFC belt: Daniel Cormier, not Jon Jones, is 'real champion'

RIO DE JANEIRO – Mauricio Rua was the last person to hold the UFC light heavyweight title prior to Jon Jones’ reign of dominance that lasted nearly five years. But he said new champ Daniel Cormier is read news >>

Bas Rutten wouldn’t be surprised to see Fedor fight Jon Jones at light-heavyweight

Former UFC heavyweight champion Bas Rutten wouldn’t mind watching Fedor Emelianenko vs. Jon Jones at light-heavyweight. read news >>

Bas Rutten: Fedor Emelianenko would be an 'animal' at 205, could be serious threat to Jon Jones

"I mean I've been watching this guy over the years, and every time he amazes me. I always thought that Fedor shouldn't be fighting at heavyweight. The guy is like 225 pounds. Just lose 15 pounds or s read news >>

Morning Report: Bas Rutten wouldn't count Fedor Emelianenko out against Jon Jones at 205 pounds

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten loves him some Fedor Emelianenko. The former PRIDE commentator sounds intrigued over the rumblings that Emelianenko may be making a return to fighting, but wants to see h read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones and Chris Weidman wanted to fight to see who's 'King of New York'

UFC president reveals there have been plans for a champion vs. champion superfight. According to UFC president Dana White, a champion vs. champion superfight between then-light-heavyweight kingpin Jo read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones, Chris Weidman wanted to fight each other at MSG

LAS VEGAS -- The UFC could have had a historic superfight on its hands at Madison Square Garden. UFC president Dana White said in a Q&A during the UFC Fan Expo that Jon Jones and Chris Weidman were b read news >>

Michael Bisping suffers 'painful' toe injury at UFC Fight Night 72

When it comes to gnarly toe injuries, Jon Jones' UFC 159 masterpiece still takes the cake. But Michael Bisping came away with a weird one of his own at UFC Fight Night 72. "The skin at the bottom of read news >>

Anthony Pettis cleared to resume training following elbow surgery

Don't call it a comeback, he's been injured here for years. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Anthony Pettis (18-3) will be strapping on the gloves for the first time s read news >>

Holly Holm: Despite battling personal issues, always-positive Jon Jones is a supportive teammate

"Preacher's daughter" also reveals "Bones" has been very helpful in the lead up to her fight at UFC Fight Night 71 against Marion Reneau later tonight, too. Holly Holm will look to keep her undefeate read news >>