Jon ‘Bones’ Jones has the first contender ready to challenge for his UFC light heavyweight title, if he can get medical clearance.

Heading into his UFC 130 fight with Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson had a fractured hand that happened when he was enjoying the holidays maybe just a little bit too much, but if he can recover in time he will get the next shot at the 205lb title.

Jackson mentioned the injury in his post fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and then expanded on how it happened during the press conference after the event.

“Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December/Christmas, drunken around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up,” Jackson explained.

“I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it.”

The injury didn’t prevent Jackson from dominating Hamill for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 130, and according to UFC President Dana White if the hand is healthy he will get the shot at Jones next.

“If he’s okay, yeah,” White answered when asked if Rampage would get the title shot versus Jones. “We’ve got to get him looked at by a doctor, then we’ll figure it out, and we’ll go from there.”

Rampage seemed confident following the event that he would be able to keep busy and accept the fight with Jones later this year.

The former UFC champion still regards the light heavyweight title as his, and while he has no personal beef with Jones, he wants the gold currently wrapped around his waist. That’s all the motivation he needs.

“I don’t really know Jones, I don’t got nothing against him. He has my belt,” Rampage expressed. “I still feel like I didn’t lose that belt. It’s not his fault that he got my belt, it’s my fault.”

Jones is still currently sidelined for at least another 2 weeks with a cast on his hand while he let’s his own injured thumb heal. If Jackson gets clearance as well as Jones, the two light heavyweights could be paired for a fight in late September or early October.

For now however, both will have to depend on physicians to declare them ready before UFC President Dana White can put them in the Octagon together.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Daniel Cormier Not a Fan of Fake Brawl, Rumble Befriending Jon Jones

Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson had everyone eating out of the palm of their hands after staging a fake fight at Saturday’s "UFC: Welcome to the Show" press conference. Everyone, that is, except Daniel read news >>

Daniel Cormier: Anthony Johnson got played by Jon Jones during fake press conference brawl

Did Anthony Johnson just show his hand? The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender was all "buddy-buddy" with reigning division kingpin Jon Jones, after the two engage read news >>

Daniel Cormier critical of Anthony Johnson's role in fake brawl with Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier thought the fake brawl between Anthony Johnson and Jon Jones was funny, but didn't think it was the direction that Johnson should be going ahead of his title shot. A few months before read news >>

Jon Jones talks UFC Super Fight: I believe I'll beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

"When" Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight, he says he's confident that he has all the tools to beat the champ in Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones will be looking to defend his belt for the 9th time against A read news >>

Jon Jones: I believe I have the skill set to beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

Before you completely start discounting "Bones," check out the reasoning behind his claim by diving in below. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones is at a point i read news >>

Anthony Johnson owns fight prank on Dana White: He 'damn near sh*t on himself'

Anthony Johnson and Jon Jones ended up as unlikely allies during a recent press conference as the pair of future opponents joined forces to prank UFC president Dana White. Jon Jones has had a very co read news >>

Daniel Cormier criticizes Anthony Johnson for fake brawl with UFC champ Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

Anthony Johnson explains his and Jon Jones' plot to punk Dana White

LOS ANGELES -- Anthony Johnson was the ringleader. He was the one who approached Jon Jones backstage at the UFC's Welcome to the Show press conference Saturday morning at Staples Center. "We need to read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones will not label Anderson Silva as a 'cheater'

Friends don't call each other cheaters. "When you go through a situation like he's gone through, there's a lot of medical people that are gonna advise you to do this or that to heal yourself. I'll ne read news >>