Jon ‘Bones’ Jones has the first contender ready to challenge for his UFC light heavyweight title, if he can get medical clearance.

Heading into his UFC 130 fight with Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson had a fractured hand that happened when he was enjoying the holidays maybe just a little bit too much, but if he can recover in time he will get the next shot at the 205lb title.

Jackson mentioned the injury in his post fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and then expanded on how it happened during the press conference after the event.

“Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December/Christmas, drunken around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up,” Jackson explained.

“I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it.”

The injury didn’t prevent Jackson from dominating Hamill for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 130, and according to UFC President Dana White if the hand is healthy he will get the shot at Jones next.

“If he’s okay, yeah,” White answered when asked if Rampage would get the title shot versus Jones. “We’ve got to get him looked at by a doctor, then we’ll figure it out, and we’ll go from there.”

Rampage seemed confident following the event that he would be able to keep busy and accept the fight with Jones later this year.

The former UFC champion still regards the light heavyweight title as his, and while he has no personal beef with Jones, he wants the gold currently wrapped around his waist. That’s all the motivation he needs.

“I don’t really know Jones, I don’t got nothing against him. He has my belt,” Rampage expressed. “I still feel like I didn’t lose that belt. It’s not his fault that he got my belt, it’s my fault.”

Jones is still currently sidelined for at least another 2 weeks with a cast on his hand while he let’s his own injured thumb heal. If Jackson gets clearance as well as Jones, the two light heavyweights could be paired for a fight in late September or early October.

For now however, both will have to depend on physicians to declare them ready before UFC President Dana White can put them in the Octagon together.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Video of Jon Jones Grappling at Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA gym surfaces

Video footage of Jon Jones grappling with Kyle Noke hits YouTube. A second video of Jon Jones has hit the internet since his alleged hit-and-run in April. Last month, 'Bones' was recorded giving a mo read news >>

Video of Jon Jones Training at the New Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA Gym Surfaces

It's been tough to find Jon Jones over recent months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champion popped up on social media on Wednesday during a YouTube video posted by lightweight contender Donal read news >>

Chris Weidman knows 'for a fact' that he's going to fight Jon Jones someday

Jon Jones may not have a return date to the UFC scheduled yet, but he's already got one fighter looking to welcome him back. And surprisingly it's MW champ Chris Weidman. read news >>

Fact! Chris Weidman isn't leaving MMA without fighting Jon Jones

Of course, that's assuming "Bones" ever fights again. Never accuse Chris Weidman of avoiding tough challenges. That's the reason Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Middleweight champion is adaman read news >>

Chris Weidman: ‘I know for a fact, I’m not leaving this sport without fighting’ Jon Jones

Jon Jones may be persona non grata in UFC circles right now, but Chris Weidman hasn't forgotten about the former pound-for-pound king. "I know for a fact, I'm not leaving this sport without fighting read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes light heavyweight move, desires Jon Jones superfight

Don't look now, "The All-American" middleweight champion is planning a move up to the light heavyweight division. Chris Weidman can troll ... let's face it. However, there are no doubts behind Weidma read news >>

Chris Weidman eyes eventual light heavyweight move, 'dream matchup' with Jon Jones

In a Q&A session on the New York Mets official Twitter account, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman told fans of his desire to move up a weight class. On Friday, UFC middleweight champion Chris W read news >>

Chris Weidman planning eventual move to 205, wants dream matchup with Jon Jones

Chris Weidman has his next assignment at middleweight. The date is set. But that doesn’t mean he’s not thinking long-term.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown thinks Jon Jones would win the UFC heavyweight title

UFC welterweight slugger Matt Brown doesn't think any fighter has what it takes to beat Jon Jones. Jon Jones may be absent from the Octagon and social media but he's certainly not been missing from t read news >>

Matt Brown: No one has a chance against Jon Jones at light heavyweight ... or even at heavyweight

I'm sure a few big men might take exception to this bold statement .... Matt Brown has a very high opinion of former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion, Jon Jones. In fac read news >>