Rampage To Jon Jones: ‘He Has My Belt’; Gets Next Title Shot If Medically Cleared

Jon ‘Bones’ Jones has the first contender ready to challenge for his UFC light heavyweight title, if he can get medical clearance.

Heading into his UFC 130 fight with Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson had a fractured hand that happened when he was enjoying the holidays maybe just a little bit too much, but if he can recover in time he will get the next shot at the 205lb title.

Jackson mentioned the injury in his post fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and then expanded on how it happened during the press conference after the event.

“Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December/Christmas, drunken around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up,” Jackson explained.

“I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it.”

The injury didn’t prevent Jackson from dominating Hamill for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 130, and according to UFC President Dana White if the hand is healthy he will get the shot at Jones next.

“If he’s okay, yeah,” White answered when asked if Rampage would get the title shot versus Jones. “We’ve got to get him looked at by a doctor, then we’ll figure it out, and we’ll go from there.”

Rampage seemed confident following the event that he would be able to keep busy and accept the fight with Jones later this year.

The former UFC champion still regards the light heavyweight title as his, and while he has no personal beef with Jones, he wants the gold currently wrapped around his waist. That’s all the motivation he needs.

“I don’t really know Jones, I don’t got nothing against him. He has my belt,” Rampage expressed. “I still feel like I didn’t lose that belt. It’s not his fault that he got my belt, it’s my fault.”

Jones is still currently sidelined for at least another 2 weeks with a cast on his hand while he let’s his own injured thumb heal. If Jackson gets clearance as well as Jones, the two light heavyweights could be paired for a fight in late September or early October.

For now however, both will have to depend on physicians to declare them ready before UFC President Dana White can put them in the Octagon together.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC president Dana White talks Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones and Eddie Alvarez in the latest edition of "The Download." read news >>

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar again captured the WWE heavyweight title at SummerSlam Saturday night, and one of the first men to congratulate him was none other than Jon Jones "Bones," read news >>

Another day, another shot fired in the always-entertaining Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier rivalry.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After Jon Jones took a shot at Daniel Cormier for finishing fourth at the Olympics, Cormier launched the perfect retaliatory tweet. Jon Jones somehow found a way to heckle Daniel Cormier while on the read news >>

The spotlight in no longer so bright on Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s brewing feud, but the upcoming title challenger recently dropped an interesting nugget on social media.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Very rarely does a fight come together via honest divisional math that has as much heat and validity as Jon Jones versus Daniel Cormier. That isn’t to say that there haven’t been some very lucrative read news >>

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - For two years, Joe Soto and Jon Jones were both roommates and wrestling teammates at Iowa Central Community College. Jones, of course, has gone on to become UFC light heavyweight read news >>

In Round #404 EUGENE S. ROBINSON [with the "S" standing for "SARDONICUS"], American Teamster, known associate of the mysterious Raoul, and KNUCKLE UP host holds forth on the difference between mean a read news >>

I told you fools this was real. There is a reason Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) titleholders like Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey cancel their plans whenever WWE is in town, because they want to se read news >>