Jon ‘Bones’ Jones has the first contender ready to challenge for his UFC light heavyweight title, if he can get medical clearance.

Heading into his UFC 130 fight with Matt Hamill, Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson had a fractured hand that happened when he was enjoying the holidays maybe just a little bit too much, but if he can recover in time he will get the next shot at the 205lb title.

Jackson mentioned the injury in his post fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, and then expanded on how it happened during the press conference after the event.

“Honestly, I hurt my hand in Japan back in December/Christmas, drunken around, fighting with my friend in the hallway. I thought it would heal up,” Jackson explained.

“I did a crazy jab on one of my sparring partners, and I hurt it.”

The injury didn’t prevent Jackson from dominating Hamill for three rounds en route to a unanimous decision victory at UFC 130, and according to UFC President Dana White if the hand is healthy he will get the shot at Jones next.

“If he’s okay, yeah,” White answered when asked if Rampage would get the title shot versus Jones. “We’ve got to get him looked at by a doctor, then we’ll figure it out, and we’ll go from there.”

Rampage seemed confident following the event that he would be able to keep busy and accept the fight with Jones later this year.

The former UFC champion still regards the light heavyweight title as his, and while he has no personal beef with Jones, he wants the gold currently wrapped around his waist. That’s all the motivation he needs.

“I don’t really know Jones, I don’t got nothing against him. He has my belt,” Rampage expressed. “I still feel like I didn’t lose that belt. It’s not his fault that he got my belt, it’s my fault.”

Jones is still currently sidelined for at least another 2 weeks with a cast on his hand while he let’s his own injured thumb heal. If Jackson gets clearance as well as Jones, the two light heavyweights could be paired for a fight in late September or early October.

For now however, both will have to depend on physicians to declare them ready before UFC President Dana White can put them in the Octagon together.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier respond to Bader, Jedi Pokemons

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world. A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to f read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68: Ryan Bader wants Jon Jones rematch with knockout win over Daniel Cormier

Ryan Bader looks to earn himself a rematch against Jon Jones to prove he's a better fighter than in their initial meeting. And he plans on earning that fight by knocking out Daniel Cormier at UFC Fig read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson on UFC 187 main event: Anthony Johnson hits harder but Jon Jones will win the fight

Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Alexander Gustafsson suggests that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Jon Jones, but expects the defending champ to retain the title. read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Daniel Cormier might lose his s--t around Jon Jones

"There is no relationship between Jon and I. He won. He won on January 3, but that's pretty much all that happened. Nothing changed. Nothing will change and we will fight again. We'll make sure the r read news >>

Morning Report: Daniel Cormier says he can't promise he wouldn't 'lose his s**t' if he ran into Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier might be getting over the loss, but he's certainly not done with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Jones scored a unanimous decision victory over Cormier in the main event at U read news >>

UFC 187: Alexander Gustafsson says Anthony Johnson punches harder, but Jon Jones wins the fight

It looks like "Rumble's" punching power won't be enough to dethrone "Bones," according to "The Mauler." When looking at the most powerful punchers in all of mixed martial arts (MMA), Anthony Johnson read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson fight 'won't happen' at UFC 187, 'mark my words'

Uh oh. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is going to defend his title against division No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson in the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) main e read news >>

Drug Test? Injury? Chael Sonnen says UFC 187's Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson 'won't happen, mark my words'

Chael Sonnen gave interesting answers about Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson and Anderson Silva's failed drug test Chael Sonnen was on Reddit for one of their 'Ask Me Anything' sessions, and the former read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson hits harder than Jon Jones

Swedish light heavyweight star Alexander Gustafsson's opinion of the UFC 187 matchup between UFC champion Jon Jones and challenger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson carries more weight than most. Gustafsson, read news >>